Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

been monitoring GFS for weekend and 12Z is 'orrid ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

And I hope it's wrong!

18Z more like it!ukmaxtemp.png

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Given the current model output i wonder if we hit 20 days without rainfall for the first time since 2013. 

With high pressure holding firm, we look good for perhaps 2 weeks from Wednesday's rain. 

Posted

Confused.com

One poster says cold; the other says average.

Currently in Fuerteventura - today was sunny and reached 22c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Signs of something a bit more interesting next week. Snow or not, some convective weather would be brilliant - last March brought some fantastic convective days with dramatic cbs and hailstorms.

Posted

Aye, nice as the current weather is, would like to see some deep troughing/cold air moving in aloft over UK on future model outputs, as solar input is now sufficient to generate good inland convection.  Not really seeing that for next week on current outputs, though- apart from on back end of ECM.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

As usual the symbol forecasts were far too generous with the cloud symbols for here this morning. Yesterday cloud was forecast till about 12pm today yet it has been sunny from pretty much the word go. Expect similar outcomes later this week although still a bit cloudier on the whole.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

So we have endured prolonged low pressure this winter, but as is so often the case with our modern day climate, the flip side is, we now have a prolonged spell of spring high pressure, to match recent spring events (Apr 2007, Apr 2011, March 2012, April 2015..)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

:hi:Its been another cracking day. Blue skies and sunshine. Not bad for March. :hi:

Posted

Apart from that horrible wind! And what do we see being cheered on for Easter & the first break for most of us since Christmas, Cold, wind & possible snow showers, which will make everywhere wet & nasty & won't amount to anything, except misery. Grrr!

Posted
2 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Apart from that horrible wind! And what do we see being cheered on for Easter & the first break for most of us since Christmas, Cold, wind & possible snow showers, which will make everywhere wet & nasty & won't amount to anything, except misery. Grrr!

yes horrid, hate ECM FI, my facebook something came up from a rag I assume, Easter heatwave on the way 19°C temps? I mean wtf?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Looking nice for the Easter break on the Gfs 00Z run with Spring like conditions unlike the Ecm which shows a cold northerly blast!

Which model will be nearer the mark ?

image.png

image.png

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
21 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Looking nice for the Easter break on the Gfs 00Z run with Spring like conditions unlike the Ecm which shows a cold northerly blast!

Which model will be nearer the mark ?

image.png

image.png

obviously hope GFS top one is right!!!! do not fancy 6° and rain, but do fancy 13° and dry maybe sunny

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Interesting how if the more unsettled final third does transpire, that this March will turn out very similar in sequential synoptics to last year, although this March will probably turn out a bit wetter. Another case of March behaving like a lion at either end, with the lamb during the middle.

Posted

Not sure I'd sum up the last frame of the ECM as 'rain'.  Those darker blues (500mb height contours) indicating low geopotential heights/colder air aloft over or to the east of the UK suggests a showery regime post frontal system(s), as opposed to longer spells of rain being the dominant feature.  Obviously couldn't say with any degree of certainty at such a range (low likelihood of verifying anyway), but it's often interpreted that low pressure generally means dull, cloudy, wet weather, however clearly that's not always true.  Personally,  I'd like to see medium-range outputs continue  with the theme of dropping a deep trough over UK with shallow low pressure at the surface, allowing for increased instability inland.  

Edited by weather09
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
13 minutes ago, Essex snowman said:

Looks like spring won't arrive be COLDISH till end of April then a short warm summer followed by a cold autum and then to top this year a big freezing winter perfect for all on net weather me thinks 

I will look back on this post come the end of march 2017:p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
10 hours ago, Essex snowman said:

Looks like spring won't arrive be COLDISH till end of April then a short warm summer followed by a cold autum and then to top this year a big freezing winter perfect for all on net weather me thinks 

As pop Larkin would say...PERFICK:cold::D

7HwNcarS.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Essex snowman said:

Have you consulted the MJO about that?  from the model thread, the only true weather oracle these days. :p

• Like 2

Posted

On the one hand im disappointed with the ecm this winter as it has constantly over amplified things in the medium to long term, on the other, at least it has given (false) hope and some interest for coldies in what has been one of the most horrendous winters i can remember for cold  lovers.

I really hope we get a decent summer this time round as im not going abroad this year - last summer was poor round these parts.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

On the one hand im disappointed with the ecm this winter as it has constantly over amplified things in the medium to long term, on the other, at least it has given (false) hope and some interest for coldies in what has been one of the most horrendous winters i can remember for cold  lovers.

I really hope we get a decent summer this time round as im not going abroad this year - last summer was poor round these parts.

Agreed, we coldies have taken a terrible battering, I started winter so optimistic but December was a complete stinker which left me feeling punch drunk by the new year and winter never recovered, to hell with El Nino..I look forward with hope for La Nina next winter..:whistling::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Agreed, we coldies have taken a terrible battering, I started winter so optimistic but December was a complete stinker which left me feeling punch drunk by the new year and winter never recovered, to hell with El Nino..I look forward with hope for La Nina next winter..:whistling::yahoo:

I think on reflection it was the sheer strength of the el nino which did for us frosty mate.

We are due a boiling hot summer and a frigidly cold winter i reckon.

If it were a choice of 1 of the 2, erm, i think i would sacrifice the summer for some biting east winds in December with 2 foot snow drifts!!!:D

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I think on reflection it was the sheer strength of the el nino which did for us frosty mate.

We are due a boiling hot summer and a frigidly cold winter i reckon.

If it were a choice of 1 of the 2, erm, i think i would sacrifice the summer for some biting east winds in December with 2 foot snow drifts!!!:D

Agreed mate, I'm dreaming of a very cold snowy winter 2016 / 17.:cold-emoji::cold::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Really ?...this winter was odds on going to be mild and wet..i think somewhere back in June 2015 I had already written off this winter for cold