Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Wow... 14C today and the possibility of 15-16C tomorrow and on Saturday. I may be the only one, but I say this weather can last all it wants. It's really good to get out in December without needing to wear a coat, and to be able to have a the window open at times.:D

Caveat being rain - can't open the car windows, and still have to wear a coat. All in all very unpleasant weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I am and I'm not mithered though.At least there's someone who thinks that this is perfect December weather.

You'd definitely be in the minority. SAD sufferers must be really suffering, cold lovers are rocking back and forth in a corner, nature has gone haywire. The total lack of sunlight and dry conditions is what is making this spell of weather really revolting, I can live with the mild.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Didn't quite get into the teens here with a max of 12.8c, currently 11.5c. Been a dryish sort of day after some drizzle this morning and even a fleeting glimpse of the sun around lunchtime. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

You'd definitely be in the minority. SAD sufferers must be really suffering, cold lovers are rocking back and forth in a corner, nature has gone haywire. The total lack of sunlight and dry conditions is what is making this spell of weather really revolting, I can live with the mild.

Not only it is set to be the warmest December on record it also seems the dullest to me a repulsive mix. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

Me thinks the chances of you being the only one are extremely high!!

no, me too,  not missing ice this year or past few years !  , today was good , warm and DRY, but still prefer rain over ice and snow,

once we get to feb i dont care if it gets cold and icy, spring is only a month or two away by then , so i can live with it 

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

My house is literally rotting. It has been too warm to have the fire lit, or to turn the heating on, but despite having windows open for ventilation I have found mouldy damp corners everywhere, and various disgusting things like condensation dripping down the walls, yuk. I have nowhere to dry laundry under cover outside, and I have been forced to turn on the heating simply to dry the house out as this weather looks like it will not dry up or cool down. I am longing for either crisp cold weather so the fire will draw properly and I can dry stuff without condensation forming, or brightness with the warmth we have. It is so gloomy and miserable even in the middle of the so-called day. Grrrrrrrrrr. I looked at the models to see if there was any change and I can't say it cheered me up, it did make me feel perhaps a Christmas swim in the sea might not be too bad this year, but I have yet to persuade my family. 

• Like 1

Posted

Ah this is the life - lovely and mild and sitting outside with just a shirt on and enjoying a quiet beer! If you can't have a bit of snow this will definitely do for me !

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:
3 minutes ago, IanR said:

no, me too,  not missing ice this year or past few years !  , today was good , warm and DRY, but still prefer rain over ice and snow,

once we get to feb i dont care if it gets cold and icy, spring is only a month or two away by then , so i can live with it 

The thing is it could be cold and icy in March and it wouldn't surprise me if we get wintry weather in April, strong El Niños seem to have this trait. There's no guarantee Spring next year will be brilliant. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

14C today and grass actually needs cut again.

Dreadful weather.

Much of this December has been warmer than a majority of last June.  What the hell happened to the "colder Atalntic" ?????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Saw a fly today, perhaps insects should be on Xmas cards nowadays instead of snow!,

have a feeling these kind of temperatures will become much more frequent in 'winter'

• Like 1

Posted

It's got to the point where I don't actually want any cooler high pressure or continental flow before the end of the month, like there have been some musings of, as that would mask what looks like being staggering temperature anomalies for southern parts of Britain. Come January the 1st though, I'd like a change please.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The thing is it could be cold and icy in March and it wouldn't surprise me if we get wintry weather in April, strong El Niños seem to have this trait. There's no guarantee Spring next year will be brilliant. 

and summery weather can happen in those months,  lying snow after march is very rare here thank god,  even the cold spring of 2013 was tame compared to dec2010 which i detested with passion,   we had a some settling snow in early april 2013, during that notable wintery spell, but as soon as the warming sun appeared it was banished by late afternoon,

infact i like those chilly northerlies in spring as they can cause sharp hail pellets in cumilonimbus cells:),  as the warming sun heats up pockets through the cold air

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Saw a fly today, perhaps insects should be on Xmas cards nowadays instead of snow!,

have a feeling these kind of temperatures will become much more frequent in 'winter'

Funny that there were three buzzing around in the woodshed yesterday.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Wow... 14C today and the possibility of 15-16C tomorrow and on Saturday. I may be the only one, but I say this weather can last all it wants. It's really good to get out in December without needing to wear a coat, and to be able to have a the window open at times.:D

I kinda agree Scott, if you get days like today, fully dry a rarity in Dec, but tomorrow in my location is looking soggy, but would rather it was soggy at 14C than 4C

what you should want is Feb '98 setup, high pressure in charge and mid teens, although high pressure becoming rarer now

Scott, just seen deep FI on the GFS, surely that would suit all! but of course FI and I don't expect it to come off

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
8 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I do! I was only 6 months old, but February 1998 looked like it was an epic winter month. 19C and bright sunshine on the 13th at Greenwich - a brilliant achievement for so early in the year. I bet if we was to get a setup similar to that this February, we would potentially reach 20C+.

To accompany my moan tregarding the gloomy conditions we've had for the last three weks here (today being an improvement as we saw a touch of brightness), I must add that, in addition to police officers seeming every more pre-pubescent, the same can be said for posters in weather fora.  You must have been born around two months after I I spent a fortnight in Brittany on holiday which we chose as I was in the middle of my French A-levels.:shok:  I remember that February; it seemed as though spring had come early.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted

Do agree with people wanting this to continue

archives-2014-1-4-0-0.png

these are charts that are ugly, and no use to anybody, whether you like mild or cold, it's neither, its wet and horrid, so I agree keep it mild and dry

Posted
21 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

It's got to the point where I don't actually want any cooler high pressure or continental flow before the end of the month, like there have been some musings of, as that would mask what looks like being staggering temperature anomalies for southern parts of Britain. Come January the 1st though, I'd like a change please.

I kind of agree with this, unbelievably. In a way I want the December CET record to be completely obliterated.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I do! I was only 6 months old, but February 1998 looks like it was an epic winter month. 19C and bright sunshine on the 13th at Greenwich - a brilliant achievement for so early in the year. I bet if we was to get a setup similar to that this February, we would potentially reach 20C+.

Saying that, today was 14C and dry with glimpses of sunshine. Still fantastic for December, if you ask me.

And the price to pay was a wintry Easter despite mid April 1998, snow falling on 5 consecutive days and two days of lying snow under Met office rules.

That was an interesting  spell that February but at the expense for what happened that April? Absolutely not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

It is certainly mild, but it isn't dry here, there is a pervasive dampness everywhere, clammy. Murk. The cheerful thing that I heard today was lots of blackbirds noisily calling in the back garden, very encouraging to think that it's mild enough for wildlife to survive quite happily.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Sun actually came out today, albeit not for very long. Very mild nonetheless but still with intermittent drizzly rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, IanR said:

ok,sorry i'll give you that one,there's 2 of you who are a fan of this lovely weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

If it wasn't so damp and dull all the time I might actually feel better about this rather extraordinary December. Imagine the temps if it was Sunny!

I've also only seen 2-3 frosts since the start of Autumn...a rarity for the past couple of years.

We've had worse days in the Summer and is it me or are we losing our 4 seasons? Bloody well feels like it...

• Like 1