Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

1685/86 saw a DJF CET of 6.5, 6.5 and 6. So it was pretty mild but not that mild. That's a similar average to 2013/14.

Ok fair point. Does anybody know exactly which Winter stands as the mildest in the CET record though, because I heard it was that one. I have heard though that during that Winter that some people were praying for more seasonal temperatures and that the famous diarist Samuel Pepys noted that there were Butterflies about in either January or February apparently. The thing we've got to consider aswell is those CET figures are monthly averages rounded off to the nearest .0 and .5. There could have been some exceptionally mild days and weeks that those figures are masking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

though when Ian did his forecast he did hint at a much colder end to the season!

I bet when the Metoffice contingency forecast is updated it suggests the possibility of a significantly colder second half of winter. Can't get a bigger hint from the pros than that and they must have some confidence in this if they're making reference to it in forecasts this far out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Ok fair point. Does anybody know exactly which Winter stands as the mildest in the CET record though, because I heard it was that one. I have heard though that during that Winter that some people were praying for more seasonal temperatures and that the famous diarist Samuel Pepys noted that there were Butterflies about in either January or February apparently. The thing we've got to consider aswell is those CET figures are monthly averages rounded off to the nearest .0 and .5. There could have been some exceptionally mild days and weeks that those figures are masking.

The warmest winter is 6.8C in 1869.

Top 5

1869: 6.8C
1834: 6.5C
1989: 6.5C
1975: 6.4C
2007: 6.4C

Below is a graph of all CET winters, with the 30 year average in orange

SKY38zC.png

EDIT: Also, if this month ends up as 9.0C, we'd only need January and February to average 4.8C for a top 5 mildest winter, or 5.6C for the mildest on record.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 2

Posted

30 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Thank god for December 2010 eh. Points West just had a reminisce of 2010 in there report on how mild this December is turning out to be, though when Ian did his forecast he did hint at a much colder end to the season!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ah the best Christmas day ever, -14C to start with here.

20 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I bet when the Metoffice contingency forecast is updated it suggests the possibility of a significantly colder second half of winter. Can't get a bigger hint from the pros than that and they must have some confidence in this if they're making reference to it in forecasts this far out!

I think it already does, or at least says that the probability of colder than average conditions later in winter is higher than normal 
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/s/g/A3_plots-temp-DJF_v2.pdf

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

You know, I had a funny thought today - that we'd be on here in mid-February after a month of perishing cold and making comments along the lines of 'Forgive me for saying this, but I actually preferred it when it was mild!' Just imagine...!

But please, do not take this to be in any way a serious forecast or even suggestion of upcoming conditions! It's just a very small possibility among countless others - and arguably the most ironic. :reindeer-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Tremenheere Estate was the vineyard for the Monks of St Michaels Mount in the 15th century

567311204f340_G4.thumb.jpg.2065f006dc608

I'm feeling warm just looking at that image. Oh please hurry up summer! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

It might be a stretch...but the only other Decembers I can recall being anywhere near as warm as this one looks like being were 1974 and 1988 - and both were followed by freakish coldness in Spring and relatively long, hot summers...Just a thought.:D

I remember us have a few very mild winters in 1970s, can also remember one winter when we had lots of snow in April, 1974 might have been the one.

We also had some heavy snow in May one year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Bradowl said:

I remember us have a few very mild winters in 1970s, can also remember one winter when we had lots of snow in April, 1974 might have been the one.

We also had some heavy snow in May one year.

That might have been May 1975? That was the year when it snowed on the 2nd of June...:)

Posted
1 hour ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

The warmest winter is 6.8C in 1869.

Top 5

1869: 6.8C
1834: 6.5C
1989: 6.5C
1975: 6.4C
2007: 6.4C

Below is a graph of all CET winters, with the 30 year average in orange

SKY38zC.png

EDIT: Also, if this month ends up as 9.0C, we'd only need January and February to average 4.8C for a top 5 mildest winter, or 5.6C for the mildest on record.

Thanks BFTV. Interesting how the top 2 warmest occurred in the 19th century, with the mildest been in 1868/69 and the second mildest been 1833/34 which was still in what was regarded as the LIA though. 1974/75, 1988/89 and 2006/07 aren't really a surprise being in the top 5 though. I wonder if 1685/86 isn't included either because it falls below the top 5 or because we've only got figures to the nearest .0 and .5 so the Winters of the late 17th century are excluded from the records?

Also mods sometimes when I try to reply my previous reply comes up if it quoted someone. Which is why my last post is a blank one with a  quote I blanked from Nick L. Why does this happen?

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Also mods sometimes when I try to reply my previous reply comes up if it quoted someone. Which is why my last post is a blank one with a  quote I blanked from Nick L. Why does this happen?

That's a problem we are all experiencing, WWS - it's not a conspiracy!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

Can anybody send a link with all the monthly CET figures going back to 1659? I've tried looking on Google but can't find anything going back that far. Thanks in advance if you can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Can anybody send a link with all the monthly CET figures going back to 1659? I've tried looking on Google but can't find anything going back that far. Thanks in advance if you can.

Pretty sure I used them for my geog dissertation a few years back but can't remember where I found them!

Posted
11 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Here's the main page with download links.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/data/download.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Here's the CET data as an excel file if you want it. Take the hassle out of formatting it.

Temp_CET.xlsx

EDIT: Obviously though, the value there for December 2015 isn't correct on that spreadsheet!

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion, for about the 20th time, that it's pointless posting in the other thread unless you are actually posting something the vast majority want to hear.

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

EDIT: Obviously though, the value there for December 2015 isn't correct on that spreadsheet!

No, it will be too low!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

That might have been May 1975? That was the year when it snowed on the 2nd of June...:)

May 1979 im sure is the snow in may Bradowl meant.

Rrea00119790503.gif

Rrea00219790503.gif

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

You know it's mild when the local weather presenter says 'feeling fresher on Sunday' and the graphic is showing 10c... :nonono:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

You know it's mild when the local weather presenter says 'feeling fresher on Sunday' and the graphic is showing 10c... :nonono:

Describing 10c in December as "fresher"! Ye Gods! That word belongs in Summer after a hot and humid spell...not sodding December.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
3 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Describing 10c in December as "fresher"! Ye Gods! That word belongs in Summer after a hot and humid spell...not sodding December.

Don't think I've ever heard ''fresher'' used during winter! As you say it's used during summer after a period of warmth breaks down...