Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

Yet again certain posters over in MOD posting really long posts about how mild it's going to be. Boring boring boring. Yes we know. No need to keep repeating it. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

bbc weather going for cooler later, 11C the 'cooler' temp, suppose got to get used to it, these temps only going to become more frequent as years go on, in the even larger teapot

On 12/14/2015 at 4:02 PM, Blitzen said:

Most have probably seen these reports but here they are again to refresh your memories:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/weather-phenomena/case-studies/severe-winters

I note that February 1947 featured 22 out of 28 cloudy days with 40% of average sunshine for the midlands and south. Cloudiness is not the preserve of mild weather alone, though I somehow suspect the complaints of SAD would be absent if there was to be a repeat of Feb 47.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Yet again certain posters over in MOD posting really long posts about how mild it's going to be. Boring boring boring. Yes we know. No need to keep repeating it. 

Hi Paul, just use the ignore feature, its a great asset to the forum, they will get bored when they realise they are talking to themselves lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Hi Paul, just use the ignore feature, its a great asset to the forum, they will get bored when they realise they are talking to themselves lol

What ignore feature? its useless

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Perhaps a few suggestions on what people should post would be helpful.

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Just now, knocker said:

Perhaps a few suggestions on what people should post would be helpful.

I suspect you will find quite a few members use the ignore function knocker.Its not about what people should post, its identifying a troll and ignoring him/her.

Simple, but effective ;)

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I suspect you will find quite a few members use the ignore function knocker.Its not about what people should post, its identifying a troll and ignoring him/her.

Simple, but effective ;)

Of course it's simple and effective and everyone has that option but I'm afraid you have one up on me because I'm not aware of anyone trolling the MOD thread. Posting posts which highlight mild is hardly trolling particular as this mild spell  is interesting from a meteorological viewpoint however unpalatable it may be for many. In any case those who find this annoying can always redress the balance by throwing in a few constructive posts themselves.

• Like 8

Posted
26 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I have :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I'm actually surprised that Scotland is so warm. I thought this month was running generally quite close to average up there, possibly even a bit below average.

Nah, we've had our cold spells but also mild in-between. For example it was reading 13.5C in my garden about an hour ago.

Also, as the text on that anomaly image says, you need to subtract 0.3C for a proper mid-month average  and if you did that then lots more of Scotland would be in the near average category. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I thought this thread was to moan about the weather, not about each other. No one makes the weather so folk can only comment upon what the models are throwing out, if it's mild all the way, surely that's what the posts will be about? Tis the season to be jolly, peace on earth, good will to ALL men (and women) eh.

Anyway moan over, it's the 17th of December, there's something soooo wrong when I can comfortably stand outside for a fag wearing a t-shirt. Even the wind is warm, it's bonkers!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
8 hours ago, carinthian said:

Just seen reports of Blood Rain and smog to affect Britain over the next few days. Obviously a mix of Sahara Dust and moisture at elevation, temps 10c above normal. Good God, Western Europe looks like breaking all records for December warmth. No white Christmas for much of Austria this year again. During the period 1961-85, most of lowland Austria chances of a white was 70%, now its half that value. Something has drastically changed during the past 30 years. Poorly Blighty, your chances of a lowland white Christmas now almost zero. More Cesspit weather seems the norm now for you. Crazy, get out!

C

Really crazy warmth this morning. 16c up stream in Brittany this morning at 8am !. Could be close to a record high for some parts as the cloud base is a little higher today, so some warm sunshine could break out. So cesspit misery of yesterday could be a bit more cheerful for you lot today. More of the same over here as the drought continues although not as warm as further North and West  regions of Euroland and British Isles. Its getting tedious now.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

How would it be a heatwave if this set up occured in summer? It would be similar type of weather with perhaps slightly higher temps and of course, a humid and muggy feel. 

The persistence in Southern areas of such high temps is remarkable but lets not forget some Northern areas was cold with snow in places just on Saturday so its not been mild for everyone for quite a long time. 

If this was summer it would be the same depressing, dull dross we have now,

Posted
7 hours ago, Severe Blizzard said:

I just hope it does NOT develop into another nasty cold zonal disappointment with the current set-up moving south with more rain, dull and colder conditions with snow everywhere but the south (1983/84, 1992/93, last winter etc). Prefer this mild dry snowless everywhere current set-up to wet horrible conditions and missing out on the snow or anything else interesting like last winter. Perhaps we will see a very anticyclonic January and February with frost, sunshine and some fog at times resulting in a overall dry winter (for the south) like 1991/92 and similarly, 1975/76. 

Anyway, looking forward to working in shorts again until at least Sunday 20th, an unprecedented record!

Yes it would be frustrating if northern areas got lots of snow and we didn't, but it would be very hard to get a duller set up than now. I'd much prefer even cold zonality to now because it would actually provide some weather and sunshine, indeed last winter had lots of W/NW winds but was actually the sunniest on record... even 2013/14 was sunnier than normal as a whole. 

The only difference this time being I kind of want the mild to continue this month so we don't get a cold snap masking what for most of the month are very remarkable anomalies in central/ southern Britain.
It's still not quite warm enough for me to wear shorts though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Posted

just stop for a second a think about how ridiculous the concept of "trolling" about the weather actually is?! it's utter nonsense. More to the point, how do people allow themselves to be "trolled" about the weather? it's the weather for crying out loud!

it goes back partly to something I mentioned the other day - there's far too much emphasis in the MOD thread on output beyond T+144. If more time was spent analysing the output up to t+144 (regardless of weather type) nobody could really be considered to be "trolling".

Edited by Certain kind of fool
  • Like 2

Posted

All this talk about how we need to get used to this kind of winter now is very similar to discussions  that took place on this forum during the winter of 2007/2008...

...need I go on?

Edited by Gord
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 hours ago, knocker said:

The Xmas dafs were out last month, we will be on the spring ones shortly.

youre right - what people dont realise is that there are different types of daffs, some do flower early (so are extra early atm). my normal ones are nowhere near, they are barely up, neither are my snowdrops.

oh dear - could this be the winter of 'no winter weather'?... tbh in this day and age of global warming, surely a record breaking mild winter is on the cards, maybe its here?

oh and before the chorus of 'you cant write off winter yet' ensues - im not writing off winter, im suggesting that after 8 weeks or so of this atlantic regime its not impossible for it to continue another 8 weeks, this longwave pattern looks pretty solid. its not a 'given' that it will turn cold. one things for certain, this pattern doesnt look like changing anytime soon.

Posted
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

youre right - what people dont realise is that there are different types of daffs, some do flower early (so are extra early atm). my normal ones are nowhere near, they are barely up, neither are my snowdrops.

oh dear - could this be the winter of 'no winter weather'?... tbh in this day and age of global warming, surely a record breaking mild winter is on the cards, maybe its here?

oh and before the chorus of 'you cant write off winter yet' ensues - im not writing off winter, im suggesting that after 8 weeks or so of this atlantic regime its not impossible for it to continue another 8 weeks, this longwave pattern looks pretty solid. its not a 'given' that it will turn cold. one things for certain, this pattern doesnt look like changing anytime soon.

I don't like automatically blaming individual events on climate change, but it does make you wonder if this exceptional warmth would have occurred pre-industry. It's not a case of how above average we are, it's how above record warmth we're going to end up at this month - that's extraordinary.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

A colleague has had to re-arrange the destination or their skiing holiday because the resort has had no snow! Thy would often have several feet by now:oops:

Posted
1 minute ago, Lauren said:

A colleague has had to re-arrange the destination or their skiing holiday because the resort has had no snow! Thy would often have several feet by now:oops:

Some of our European energy clients are quite concerned because of the extremely dry month they've had over much of Europe, lakes and rivers are drying up, as well as ski resorts having no snow like you said. Pretty strong single for it to continue for the coming month or so as well. This pattern is useful for nobody!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

if this very mild weather is largely down to a very strong el nino its likely imo that the strength of this el nino is probably due to a warming world. So one could say its likely this very mild weather is down to climate change.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Some of our European energy clients are quite concerned because of the extremely dry month they've had over much of Europe, lakes and rivers are drying up, as well as ski resorts having no snow like you said. Pretty strong single for it to continue for the coming month or so as well. This pattern is useful for nobody!

It saves on the heating bills ........... (trying be positive here). :) 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Buzz said:

It saves on the heating bills ........... (trying be positive here). :) 

It does to a certain extent, but as has been mentioned, it's so damp that the heating is needed to dry washing or simply to keep the house dry in older homes. Plus, the near total absence of sunlight means the house never warms up in the day at all.

Then again, my bills are covered in my rent so I'm happy for it to be colder :D

• Like 3