Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
46 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I have noticed that my Witch-hazel is only just coming into flower now. Some years it's been over by now. I think they hang back as if they know worse weather is to come.

I'm in the same trade as you Jethro, it's very, very weird atm, and the amounts of pests and diseases around this winter, is phenomenal.

Only last week we had an entire bed of ornamental brassicas  ravaged by cabbage white butterfly caterpillars, and they were swarming!

More slugs and snails than ever, more botrytis and blackspot.  It's horrible, I'm praying for frost!

Ditto. I've never had Red Cabbage eaten by any bugs before but this year they're covered in slugs, sprouts are just the same. Never been able to harvest lettuce at Christmas either but this year there's a whole row, completely uncovered too, it's bonkers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In Philadelphia with work and it's 21C here at 9am! Madness. Some torrential rain and even a thunderstorm overnight! Family near New York reporting 20C there currently. No sign of cold here either, does feel very strange and a little bit ominous.

Posted

Just having a really heavy hail shower here  at the moment,..I can now add this to the one frost we have had so far this winter haha

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Ditto. I've never had Red Cabbage eaten by any bugs before but this year they're covered in slugs, sprouts are just the same. Never been able to harvest lettuce at Christmas either but this year there's a whole row, completely uncovered too, it's bonkers.

We grow all the food for our on-site cafe, and they're still getting lettuce too! Funnily enough, it's not been cold enough for the winter lettuce varieties, which bolted to seed, this is so weird.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

In Philadelphia with work and it's 21C here at 9am! Madness. Some torrential rain and even a thunderstorm overnight! Family near New York reporting 20C there currently. No sign of cold here either, does feel very strange and a little bit ominous.

It'll flip back. The whole Arctic cannot be hemmed in on all side for too long, before it bursts open somewhere. (hopefully in this direction)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

before I forget a seasons greetings to everyone from the woodshed.

Lang may yer lum reek!

627836416f52f5dc36981f780ea1f8a1.jpg

Merry Christmas - you may infuriate me at times with your blowtorch temperature charts, but you're one of the most invaluable and knowledgeable model commenters here, and this place would be worse-off without you.:D:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Models are keeping us going now with some interesting charts at the end of the current runs.

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS has lost the plot! I mean WTF, suppose missing data over Xmas period

Netweather GFS Image

Not necessarily.  There was a discussion on here a few days back which partially-debunked the "lack of data" theory.  Logically, given the number of flights between the 20th and 24th, the data ought to be more complete than normal.

17 hours ago, cheese said:

I've never seen them before. Didn't even know such a thing existed.

It looks like a maple.

More strange that most of my fruit vines and bushes still have green leaves on them.

My cherry tree which had a fly problem this year though looks like its already produced leaf buds. I am meant to spray it with bourdeoux and insecticide before blossom to kill fly lavea. So I dont have beelzebub in my garden next year. Hope it wont start bloom in winter or will have to climb on roof with pressure sprayer in winter.

1 hour ago, knocker said:

before I forget a seasons greetings to everyone from the woodshed.

Lang may yer lum reek!

627836416f52f5dc36981f780ea1f8a1.jpg

Thats not much firewoood. I have about 6 cubic meters maybe 10 times that in storage. I guess you know something I don't:D

Posted

Seems my words are magic!

I defy the GFS to to show more of its teasing. I defy you to get within 24hrs before dropping the 'bomb' on us.

I defy you!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Hi There

I would love the models to be correct as being posted on the model discussion thread but..........going by what has been posted on the met 16-30 day outlook, they seem to be saying it is much of the same through to practically the end of January

Posted
1 minute ago, PLANET THANET said:

Hi There

I would love the models to be correct as being posted on the model discussion thread but..........going by what has been posted on the met 16-30 day outlook, they seem to be saying it is much of the same through to practically the end of January

My decision to write-off this winter might be correct after all, not that I want it to be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

actually I prefer the 18Z to the 12Z, especially FI

Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

18Z on left dry and cold, 12Z on right, HORRID!

Posted

As much as I would like snowfest 18z to be correct I just can't help but think there's far too much chaos in the model output at the moment and being a veteran of watching these implode at short notice I'll keep my feet planted firmly on terra nova. Great model watching but best we don't get to carried away  for now and look at the NH profile rather than our tiny patch in the water to see if WAA continues to be transported Polewards. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Gosh. look at those latest model runs after the 5th of January. Fantasy stuff if they come off, but it'll probably all be gone by tomorrow.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

well nice to see the gfs getting into the festive spirit,very much playing santa today.

At least it gives welcome hope if nothing else to long suffering coldies. Maybe the first signs at least at last that this winter will try to redeem itself after this months debacle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Christmas day again on my own isn't made any better by miserable weather! Feel so sorry for the people in the north west,hope they can have some sort of good christmas.

• Like 1