Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted

I feel the UKMO 144 is very finely balanced to be honest, could go either way,the jet splits at this point but i suspect too much energy is in the northern arm if i were being honest.Yes there is an undercut but that doesn't tell the whole tale.

Just my two peneth :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Whose watching the ECM from behind the sofa! lol

Apparently Amazons sales have some good offers on sledges! Lets hope the ECM can deliver because its been a dire winter so far for cold.

Amazing to think that within a week if the trough disruption is favourable snow could finally be falling in the UK.

funny you say this nick I had been saying 97/98 winter looking likely but as weather history posted we had snowfall here on the south coast that winter but I cant remember it must of been on the tipple.

but as it stands I did start to think just recently that change could be on the way with decline in nino and west qbo weakening and mjo on the move what effect this may have on the heart of winter.

me and my dad where talking about winters of old and he always said winter really starts in jan.

but all in all wave activity must be irritating the vortex certainly on the ropes hey one snowy day would give a smile to a lot of us southerners.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Not strange but perhaps there is a bit of misunderstanding - regarding the highlighted GEFS ensembles - but none of them show an initial undercut as good as the UKMO at T+144 and I was only replying to your post that said the UKMO wasn't an undercut. The fact is that the GFS op undercuts the block perfectly as well by T+180 - it is just that it has drifted into an unfavourable position for the UK to be affected.

Right we must be talking about degrees of undercut or something.

Sure UKMO disrupts energy SE but that isn't true undercut as in all or the majority of energy heading under the block IMO but perhaps we are crossing swords over terminology?

What I don't understand is the idea that the charts I posted are not showing the low undercutting the block when they very clearly are. Anyone can run through GFS ensembles and check the 120 to 144 progression and see how much energy is heading SE and then run to say 180/194 to see how those runs have progressed. Nealry all with better undercut will show a more favourable blocked/cold chart than those with less.

It may be you were considering the progression of UKMO post 144h more than I or what intended by my original post and we have much less diagreement there though I maintain that more undercut 120/144 than shown on UKMO would put us in a much better position.

Re the next low.

It is complicated and no way to know what the situation might be re state of our block or its actual track yet but essentially we could do with it digging South and pushing WAA up ahead of it to aid disruption because the original block will less likely to disrupt incoming lows by then and we could just end up with low pressure over us or a little to the South of us but with no cold uppers in place . (already displaced too far N/NE)

I would much prefer true undercut from the 120/144 low which would act as a trigger to pull the high and cold West rather than displace it somewhat NE by having too much energy riding up the block a la UKMO.

• Like 2

Posted

impressive plunge of cold into the atlantic

I can see that the low to our west really wants to go northwest but it cant we need scandi heights to hold firm

ECM0-96.thumb.gif.f2e87923f8dab7fcc5598f

mind you this also reminds me of feb 98 long drawn sw flow

brutal cold though both east west and northwest

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted

The ECM has that shortwave further west and south at T96hrs and has a better pattern over the ne USA.

Not liking its T120 very much too much energy thrown east off that trough.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Everyone looking east but the coldest air is coming from the west! lol

ecm35.thumb.gif.64be0c9be2e20063757886cb

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECH1-144.GIF?27-0

pretty much 50/50 split which is nice as we get the reinforced ridge and some undercut.

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

OMG what drama, the ECM at T144hrs pulls back from the brink of catastrophe. Also saving my laptop from being flung out of the nearest window!

:yahoo::D Nick ramp ALERT hahah :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Love the constructive analysis keep it up peeps im learning all the while

• Like 4

Posted

ooooooo ere my we could be in for something very exciting nice 168 ecm

ECM1-168.thumb.gif.0a37cf6f591f1f818f858

steves sausage heights heading towards Iceland maybe

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

oh dear! too much energy in the Atlantic - that short wave feature amounts to very little and most of the energy is behind it! disappointing!

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

ECH1-168.GIF?27-0ECH0-168.GIF?27-0

Cold uppers held too far NE with the low not disrupting enough but it should slide under from here although we will need future developments to drag in the colder air. ie getting the low through and drawing in from the NE before the Atlantic intervenes.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Its always the same story. A sniff of something wintry and the NWP is determined to wring every ounce of drama out of the situation.

All that can be said is that its either going to be very wet or very snowy for some parts of the UK next weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

ooooooo ere my we could be in for something very exciting nice 168 ecm

ECM1-168.thumb.gif.0a37cf6f591f1f818f858

Think people in the NW would disagree, to me that charts screams nothing but RAIN! and flooding, but pardon me if I'm wrong, would love it to be dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Bitterly cold air to the East at 168hrs and cold air in atlantic too, can the low head SE and undercut?

56803091beefd_coldwestandeast.thumb.gif.