Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
15 minutes ago, swilliam said:

Short ensembles out - not much support for the OP again

ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.thumb.pn

At least the OP if part of a cold cluster rather than being a clear outlier. Still looks like a low probability solution overall but not a pipe dream either.

Let's see how things develop in the days ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Best crack out the suncream and shorts then! Not to mention my Scuba gear and rubber dingy. 

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, SnappyClap said:

I wonder which ones!! Hopefully their most powerful...I still think mid Jan is where the real fun a games start. Big -AO followed by a SSW would be nice for something prolonged!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Let's keep it friendly please chaps! 

(and Ideally to Model discussion...)

Thanking you!

• Like 9

Posted

To be fair to Knocker he posts much of his thoughts using ensembles, and bigger picture stuff, not getting carried away with individual runs. Most of us, including me are coldies...knocker isn't, so when he says things are looking to get colder then it's time to get the gloves out.

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, radiohead said:

At least the OP if part of a cold cluster rather than being a clear outlier. Still looks like a low probability solution overall but not a pipe dream either.

Let's see how things develop in the days ahead.

Im no expert but they are dutch ens i think 

The real cold uppers get into the northern parts of uk so thet wont be showing on the ens for holland???

Posted
14 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

That's my kind of post knocker...However as I've said before just keep seeing it as it is...it's reason an you know your stuff....where do you get those charts by the way?

That one was courtesy of Michael Ventrice

Posted
18 minutes ago, knocker said:

No I'm into pink now with the GEFS setting up the big -AO block during mid-January But you don't want to look at the ext ecm

Why knocks?  Granted it isn't as low a -AO as the GEFS but they still have a -AO/NAO combo. 

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Why knocks?  Granted it isn't as low a -AO as the GEFS but they still have a -AO/NAO combo. 

Well yes blue although the NAO is more or less neutral. But upstream although we have the ongoing Alaskan WAA the trop vortex is still solid over N. Canada with a trough in the western Atlantic and a weak trough eastern Europe. So we are still looking at a flow from the westerly quadrant that will bring periods of windy and unsettled weather with a wintry content in Pm interludes. There is a strong flow over the UK at 200mb without being exceptional and looking at the 850mb temp field doesn't suggest any significant cold in our vacinity that could be advected in. So I don;t see any indication that any cold regime is imminent but that doesn't rule out little dips but temps generally around average. Just my opinion of course.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well yes blue although the NAO is more or less neutral. But upstream although we have the ongoing Alaskan WAA the trop vortex is still solid over N. Canada with a trough in the western Atlantic and a weak trough eastern Europe. So we are still looking at a flow from the westerly quadrant that will bring periods of windy and unsettled weather with a wintry content in Pm interludes. There is a strong flow over the UK at 200mb without being exceptional and looking at the 850mb temp field doesn't suggest any significant cold in our vacinity that could be advected in. So I don;t see any indication that any cold regime is imminent but that doesn't rule out little dips but temps generally around average. Just my opinion of course.

At the moment, with the potential for a significantly different evolution to that showed by the ens mean/anomolys over nw Europe, I'd say the ens in general for our part of the NH need to be viewed with that in mind. If the ops are onto something. (With their higher res picking up a different direction of travel) then the ens will flip. Of course, the favourite (and forecasted) option will remain the zonal one for the time being. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well the trends seem to be gathering momentum for a pattern change as we go into the New Year although we have been down this path quite a few times in the last 3-4 years so I am not getting too carried away atm as have things gone Pete Tong from as little as T96 before( the Beast from the East Dec 2012 springs to mind if my memory is correct). That said, the pressure rise to the NE, the cold pool to the East building over Eastern Europe to name but 2 aspects are encouraging signs for a colder pattern to evolve. Whether we, in the UK get a cold outbreak remains to be seen  but the building blocks are in place and as much I have enjoyed this mild December( I work outdoors for a living so give me a break) I would like to see a proper nationwide cold spell with snow which would allow me to being a big kid again lol!!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

At the moment, with the potential for a significantly different evolution to that showed by the ens mean/anomolys over nw Europe, I'd say the ens in general for our part of the NH need to be viewed with that in mind. If the ops are onto something. (With their higher res picking up a different direction of travel) then the ens will flip. Of course, the favourite (and forecasted) option will remain the zonal one for the time being. 

Oh I agree with that but looking at the recent det. outputs, including this evenings ecm, I for one do not possess the necessary expertise to determine the direction of travel with any degree of confidence. But one thing does confuse me. The ens mean are continually rubbished, fine people are entitled to their opinion, and yet there is a veritable feeding frenzy as the various outputs are being produced and charts are literally posted day by day often accompanied by some very spurious meteorology. It's beyond me how a serious appraisal of the output can be made in these circumstances. It's a bit like a game of finding the option that may lead to a white out and if that doesn't works let's try the next option.

• Like 6

Posted
29 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Anyone using an ensemble based approach to the upcoming weather...GOOD LUCK! The ensembles will be nigh on useless in this scenario. If the hi res of the op can't fathom the eventual outcome then the ensembles will be hung out to dry with many of them powering the jet through in response to the built in climatology. Ensembles have ALWAYS been pretty useless in E'ly scenarios- In my opinion of course!!

That may well be true, although we aren't in an easterly scenario apart from the one that has been invented, which is why I always keep an eye on the professional output who have access to far more detailed information and the expertise to evaluate it correctly. Of course they too get it wrong for the right reasons and not right for the wrong ones.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

Oh I agree with that but looking at the recent det. outputs, including this evenings ecm, I for one do not possess the necessary expertise to determine the direction of travel with any degree of confidence. But one thing does confuse me. The ens mean are continually rubbished, fine people are entitled to their opinion, and yet there is a veritable feeding frenzy as the various outputs are being produced and charts are literally posted day by day often accompanied by some very spurious meteorology. It's beyond me how a serious appraisal of the output can be made in these circumstances. It's a bit like a game of finding the option that may lead to a white out and if that doesn't works let's try the next option.

From my point of view, a mean is of most use when the spread of data is somewhere nearly evenly-distributed.  If the data is clustered with none of those being close to the mean, it's apt to be misleading, as it suggests a middle-of-the-road result is favoured when the data actually supports one or more clusters of data towards the fringes of the spread.  I'm speaking generally here, as I don't have much experience with ensemble means, but what I'm saying is that I'd imagine that, in unstable setups, the mean by itself may be misleading.

• Like 2