Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Anyways, being less of a grinch :p

First widespread frost in weeks in around a weeks time for the whole of the UK. :yahoo:

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

Another messy run with no real polar air or mild air as we sit between the two with a slack pattern.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

agree with some of the comments here that this time next week is key if we are to see a pattern change.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Nuuk_ens.png

Greenland shows some hints of warmer 850s, but a rather large spread drags the average down a little thereafter.  Hopefully by the end of this weekend, there is more clarity.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
17 minutes ago, knocker said:

The upshot of all this IMO are periods of unsettled weather with a few Pm shots bringing some very wintry conditions of wind, rain and snow in the north interspersed with some periods of more settled conditions particularly in the south as the HP pushes  in from the SW/S. This fluid changeable outlook will result in some big swings in temp but around average on the whole.

Very much agree with that Knock, No major pattern change but something more seasonal. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Very much agree with that Knock, 

ditto, along with agreeing with what Paul has posted. I will be more convicned though when all 3 of the anomaly charts show agreement of any marked change. The comment Paul makes about most the the northern hemosphere being not far from a westerly, this at 500mb, is very true. If you want a straw to clutch at then look at the ECMWF-GFS 500mb anomaly this morning. For once they look fairly similar and for the first time since they predicted the last colder spell, they both show a north of west flow into the UK. Not major but it is there, the second day for EC but the first for GFS. So far NOAA at either 6-10 or 8-15 shows nothing like this.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Beyond 15 days=20 December I do not pretend to know or be able to forecast so far ahead. One thing to watch for as you eagerly scan each output, and as Paul says at F1 then see how similar each run is to its last one (same time) is that the changes are consistent so 360h today shows the same at 336h the next day and so on.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted

Very much in Paul's corner - the general trend to remove the euro high anomoly to our South is what I see as being big news for nw Europe. Whether that verifies is another matter entirely! 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted

The high over the UK in FI could join up with the high Arctic and Siberian high looking at extreme FI...possible beast for Xmas......One major problem is that it is the GFS FI !!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Certainly some trending to a colder regime from the end of the coming week.

A look at some data from the 00z gefs show a much weaker Atlantic jet in a weeks time with the mean track coming south.

jet1.thumb.png.06232f52a30c82062e6d1749cjet2.thumb.png.42cb251d8edf27bff5081f047

nh1.thumb.png.90b5df5fac0cb6ee790e05601bnh2.thumb.png.c067273c8821abcb5daa0fc495

and the temperatures at the surface

wa.thumb.png.8851559f2b7a2517d9d90a0981d

Although the overall pattern remains it does modify with a developing split jet easing south,leaving the UK in a colder regime with temperatures closer to normal.Next weekend seems to be around the time when those Canadian +ve anomalies start to feed through removing the mild tm flow from the south west.

Nothing dramaticaly cold yet but a move to more seasonal conditions appear to be on the cards.

• Like 8

Posted

From where we currently are and teleconnections as they are, there is little sign or chance of a pattern change to sustained HLB for around 2 weeks time. But the signal to break down the Euro high remains and that could be hugely important going forward. Small steps.

So  whilst a PM airflow looks to be the most likely of the  colder outcomes for the mid month period, we could perhaps squeeze a decent mid lat high pressure out of this, bringing in more seasonal continental airflow for that period to the southern areas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GEFs coming out now, really isn't making much of the cooler spell at all

gens-21-5-150.pnggens-21-5-174.pnggens-21-5-204.png

Into the further output, the 06z strengthens the rebuild of the Euro ridge though with a slightly different position

gens-21-5-264.pnggens-21-5-300.png

Centred over Eastern Europe if the anomaly is correct.

This becoming a trend in the GFS suite potentially with heights east of the UK and a trough just west of the UK with a cyclonic south to south west flow potentially.

The disappointing thing is the during the weekend in question here, the mean 850s don't even  drop below 0c across southern counties. I certainly hope this is just the 06z suite being a bit pessimistic about things.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z shows a welcome change to much more seasonal conditions later next week with thurs/fri being the transition period to a  polar maritime airmass with showers becoming wintry, especially on hills and night frosts becoming widespread. Looking towards the end of the run shows  more significantly wintry potential.:):cold:

hgt500-1000.png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

hgt500-1000 (2).png

hgt500-1000 (3).png

h850t850eu.png

• Like 8

I agree with Frosty, there is a big change coming, the Euro high departing is going to be the biggest change as this has been the main driver overall.  Much more opportunities with its departure.

there will be plenty of eye candy in the next week.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had a white new year at the very least!

image.png

• Like 3

Posted

some very sensible and realistic posts on here this morning. if we are to see a major pattern change to sustained blocking, its not showing within the range of the models... yet...

however, they do seem to be showing the jet gradually slipping south as december progresses (as per the Netweather forecast). at this point, from what we CAN see, i.e. some wintry incursions to a greater or lesser degree, with chances possibly increasing towards the second half of the month, it wouldnt be outrageous to suggest putting a small bet on a white christmas..... 

(edit-not sure why my font size changed there)

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 2

Posted

a request folks?

Has anyone got the link to the 30mb pole temperatures  currently, I used to have it but cannot find it now?

thanks

not this one by the way

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/

this one

5662eaf5141f7_shotof30mbT.thumb.jpg.c0c3

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

a request folks?

Has anyone got the link to the 30mb pole temperatures  currently, I used to have it but cannot find it now?

thanks

Would it be this? http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2015120506&var=TMP&lev=30mb&hour=000

Posted
4 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

thank you for your reply but no, it is the one I've got a photo shot of from anomaly charts several years ago but I cannot find it on the web. Very simplified type but it suited my approach?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
14 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

a request folks?

thanks

not this one by the way

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/

The Berlin graphs here John

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/ts.php?plot=all&alert=1&lng=eng

temps.gif

or Japan

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/gif/pole30_nh.gif

:)

Edited by phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
8 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

thank you for your reply but no, it is the one I've got a photo shot of from anomaly charts several years ago but I cannot find it on the web. Very simplified type but it suited my approach?

The one I like is: http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

Edited by IDO

Posted

Posted
11 minutes ago, IDO said:

yep thanks you the one

not that it gives any hope to cold lovers in my view.

A year or two ago IF it climbed through the average and stayed some way above it then I reckoned on a 'cold' spell being highly probable anywhere from 15-25 days later!

I got at least 3 maybe 4 where it worked well but 2 or 3 where it did not.

ah well!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Hot off the press. So to speak. And a quick glance at the anomalies gives me no reason to alter my earlier post

Chart weatherbell http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_49.png

gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_2.png

gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_3.png

Keep tabs on that sceuro anomoly knocks. The extended eps built a Scandi upper ridge in two weeks and the extended ops are messing about with undercutting of the Atlantic jet.  not saying anything will happen but there are hints out there of possible pattern changes in a fortnights time.  Perhaps sooner although I suspect that could be the ops being over progressive. 

• Like 2

Posted

No comments on the 12z pretty much sums it up, cooler spell next weekend then back to stormy spells.