Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
10 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Does look good.. Also the high res models pick some snow (albiet light?) for Sunday to as well I think.. 

Monday sure does look promising also after a very cold night Sunday night the air and ground will be ripe for snow (if we keep the pesky warmer temps out west)

My concern is a very frustrating situation that for the majority of us in this thread will see Snow past down to our West and Away over the Channel & Also down to our East with us slap bang in the middle.

Sunday

Rain/Snowfall rate GFS Su 17.01.2016 06 GMT

Monday

Precipitation GFS Mo 18.01.2016 18 GMT

Weather type GFS Mo 18.01.2016 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall rate GFS Mo 18.01.2016 18 GMT

Plenty of time for changes though, at least it will be :cold:

Edited by Kent Blizzard

2 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

My concern is a very frustrating situation that for the majority of us in this thread will see Snow past down to our West and Away over the Channel & Also down to our East with us slap bang in the middle.

Sunday

Rain/Snowfall rate GFS Su 17.01.2016 06 GMT

Monday

Precipitation GFS Mo 18.01.2016 18 GMT

Weather type GFS Mo 18.01.2016 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall rate GFS Mo 18.01.2016 18 GMT

Plenty of time for changes though, at least it will be :cold:

For now yes, indeed we will see changes but last year and years before I tend and have been told to ignore the EURO4 and GFS snow/rain charts. They are not configured enough to take in all the parameters and just do it off of air temp and DP 

I think most will see at the very least some falling snow in this cold spell, which currently we do not know when will end 

Posted

Ian F update

Yes, some troubling-looking selections of output this morning for early next week, more especially for N and E of W Country. But exceptionally low confidence on what will unfold. Interestingly, latest UKMO overnight prognosis through Feb builds Atlantic block with us on colder eastern side/troughing... we may have the experience of current period to unravel yet again further down the line

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Missed last night's snow, and whatever we did get (which, based on Netweather 500m resolution radar wasn't much) thawed by the time I got up.  Still, glad that some got to see a dusting.:)

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
35 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

Not quite sure if the feature is a hurricane quite yet, something I heard from other threads and sources, I've heard it has hurricane speed sustained winds, but not sure of the classification of the storm! I know it was ex-tropical or non tropical, it's still a very interesting feature to establish and direct close to our shores at a critical time for snow lovers! 

EDIT: Whatever it was (could someone clarify? I'd like to learn a little on this subject) Alex is now a hurricane.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

It always was a hurricane, but, AFAIK, is in the process to degrading to a storm.

Posted

Hoping for a touch of transitionary snow as we go through mid-late next week, as we wave the colder weather goodbye for a while. Other than that mostly dry, cold nights and chilly days are the order of the day. Most welcome on the back of that awful December. The wait goes on though for a proper "snowy" taste of winter. Fingers crossed for some better action as we move into Feb. E or NE winds please rather than N/NW....

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Sleeting here now, in case anyone's interested.

I am, I'm not the jealous type :D;) 

Posted

IF the front stalls against the cold air as some forecasts for Monday have suggested, could be sweet spot for my location. Big If tho !

Edited by cobbett

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

I am, I'm not the jealous type :D;) 

No need to be - it stopped as soon as I posted it!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Looks like this is just the wrong side of marginal. 

Nice to feel some real cold in the air though I must say!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Surrey said:

So looks like the BBC are jumping onto what the Hiliram was showing "a light dusting into southern areas overnight" 

Hmm. I think the chances of snow showers filtering down through the Cheshire Gap and into our region this eve/overnight intact must be quite remote. The odd place may catch a shower. Let's hope the Hirlam is correct and some wake to a dusting.

hirlamuk-1-15-0.png?15-10

Edited by Southender
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Late last night MetO was showing light snow at various times from Sunday night onwards - an hour here and there and too far out to be of any use. All downgraded to nothing or rain now. 2° and rain sounds like the consolation prize.

I'm being massively cheered up by the hormonal teenage handbags in the MOD thread and the 'moan-about-the-MOD-thread' thread, though :D 

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

Late last night MetO was showing light snow at various times from Sunday night onwards - an hour here and there and too far out to be of any use. All downgraded to nothing or rain now. 2° and rain sounds like the consolation prize.

I'm being massively cheered up by the hormonal teenage handbags in the MOD thread and the 'moan-about-the-MOD-thread' thread, though :D 

lots of uncertainty for next week,i wouldnt rule out snow for our region yet :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Nice update from metoffice regarding start of next week :-)

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Remaining generally cold with overnight frosts. Probably becoming cloudier with an increasing risk of sleet or snow at times.

Updated at: 1404 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I think some people are heading to desperate times here when it comes to snow, I am not kidding- some one had broken open two pillows and dumped the feathers out side. And a blanket that looks like 'granny made it'  

Lovely day out, felt warm in the sun wearing my hat. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
44 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Nice update from metoffice regarding start of next week :-)

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Remaining generally cold with overnight frosts. Probably becoming cloudier with an increasing risk of sleet or snow at times.

Updated at: 1404 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Hot off the press that as well and no mention of the dreaded "rain near coasts"!

I think on balance I'd be happier with a snow to rain event that, even if it's just for a few hours, leaves a covering rather than it staying cold and dry with it just gradually petering out into around normal temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I would be happy with a dusting tonight.

Am rather pleased with the battle ground scenario on Monday, high risk I know but someone will be laughing all the way to their snow balls. West of UK turning milder, but the East could be a lot more interesting where the colder air is hanging on. I mean who wants a dry breakdown with a high moving up from the South mid next week, come on now...

12z coming out....

Edited by snowray

1 minute ago, snowray said:

I would be happy with a dusting tonight.

Am rather pleased with the battle ground scenario on Monday, high risk I know but someone will be laughing all the way to their snow balls. West of UK turning milder, but the East could be a lot more interesting. I mean who wants a dry breakdown with a high moving up from the South mid next week, come on now...

12z coming out....

Does look more promising for a dusting tonight for sure.. current radar shows a big bulk of PPN moving south