Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

i have a dp 0f -4.7 but pressure of 1002 . Is my dp right or is my weather station set wrong, I live in strood  near rochester kent

Posted

Now turned to wet snow here in Lowestoft, going to get nasty with this wind increasing with possible gusts to 70mph, what counts for a blizzard?

Edited by Timbo

6 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Now turned to wet snow here in Lowestoft, going to get nasty with this wind increasing with possible gusts to 70mph, what counts for a blizzard?

To my knowledge a blizzard is to do with falling rate of snow to? 

6 minutes ago, chelsea01 said:

i have a dp 0f -4.7 but pressure of 1002 . Is my dp right or is my weather station set wrong, I live in strood  near rochester kent

I would say that is wrong not that low yet I don't think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Really tricky to work out the path of that clump moving down. Remember me to said West of the county, Kent Gritters forecast suggested East!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
11 minutes ago, chelsea01 said:

I'd imagine wrong, mine is 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Very raw outside with this wind and almost horizontal sleet and snow mix. 

Nothing settling though here in fakenham. Can't say I'm looking forward to being on the sea front at Brancaster at 6am tomorrow. Going to be chilly

Posted

The clump seems to be sinking south presumably as the low pressure system driving it sinks south as well.

The problem for the north and east of the region is that the path of the ppt will take it over the Thames estuary, warm it and melt it, which you can see happening at the moment. To the west although the ppt may be a little lighter , it could well be cold enough to fall as snow. Obviously as the night goes on this good change and the added moisture from the estuary could be beneficial to the amount of ppt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Quite heavy albeit wet snow on the drive home from Norwich to Ormesby (Near the coast) plastering the car but not laying. Very very wet out there

Posted
12 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Really tricky to work out the path of that clump moving down. Remember me to said West of the county, Kent Gritters forecast suggested East!

It looks like its going to be east of us, shame just as the conditions are getting perfect for settling snow.

4 minutes ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

The clump seems to be sinking south presumably as the low pressure system driving it sinks south as well.

The problem for the north and east of the region is that the path of the ppt will take it over the Thames estuary, warm it and melt it, which you can see happening at the moment. To the west although the ppt may be a little lighter , it could well be cold enough to fall as snow. Obviously as the night goes on this good change and the added moisture from the estuary could be beneficial to the amount of ppt.

Good post.

People in the depths of the West, you need to be looking at what is happening in the Irish Sea and Wales and just hope and pray that some good convection happens and some light patchey stuff can make it down this far south (although the odds are slim)

As for the above post, good points the Thames may provide a bit of umph for the ppn but people living immediately south of it may catch a slightly warmer mix in the air. But this will change as the night goes on.

So at the beginning of the week I sat at 20% and now we have falling snow. I must say, I've been proved wrong. 

But this is why I love winter and the weather. Expect the unexpected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

That strong wind 

Its the warm sector I was talking about doing that 

Snowing nicely here now but not settling at the mo. Signs that the warm sector is moving off, with the temp falling from 3.3C at 16.00 to 1.5C now. But there's the rub, getting any further improvements in these marginal conditions (so the snow settles) before the ppn moves off too!
But it's great to read it's settling in some parts of the Region. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Sister tells me the snow is coming down fast in Bury St Edmunds. Starting to settle on cars but soaking wet on all other surfaces. 

Posted

Yeah can confirm very heavy snow now in Ipswich some huge flakes struggling to settle but I would assume that's down to relatively warm ground and slightly higher dp's? let's hope the feed keeps going as the temps drop but best since 2013

Edited by Nimbusman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Can I just ask, is the snow heading this way? I've been radar watching and I can't tell haha (I blame it on being tired and cold) 

Screenshot_2016-01-14-18-38-46.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, PurpleButterfly said:

Can I just ask, is the snow heading this way? I've been radar watching and I can't tell haha (I blame it on being tired and cold) 

Sorry to say it's not heading towards Luton. It's moving SE and slowly out into the North Sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Sorry to say it's not heading towards Luton. It's moving SE and slowly out into the North Sea.

Thought as much. Well I can wait 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
27 minutes ago, Nimbusman said:

Yeah can confirm very heavy snow now in Ipswich some huge flakes struggling to settle but I would assume that's down to relatively warm ground and slightly higher dp's? let's hope the feed keeps going as the temps drop but best since 2013

There was some very heavy snow in Ipswich this evening....it was hell to drive out, gridlock! 1.5C when I left Ipswich, but 0C when I got home and a nice dusting and slushyness on the roads (about 10 miles NW of Ipswich). 

Proper blizzard conditions out there at times, the wind is really howling now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Very lightly falling here, but the wind made it very difficult to look where I was going 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

very cold wind and i can see stars, not what i wanted :nonono: but still, theres lots more roller coaster rides to come :)

Posted
19 minutes ago, Essex winter said:

Anymore likely to make its way in off the North Sea? 

Hi EW. The strong winds are certainly driving in sleet and snow off the North Sea, particularly for Norfolk, so fully understand your comment. However, the Low Pressure system itself is gradually moving away and this slowly pulls the front away into the North Sea, so the band of precipitation that was impacting East Anglia is eventually out in the North Sea. You can see this on the latest BBC Weather Forecast video, but here's a couple of stills:

22.00 5697f7e749138_WeatherforecastThurs22.00.  Midnight 5697f7f19e2e9_WeatherforecastFri00.00.th

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743