Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
6 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

mild ramping, don't actually see in any of the outlooks post 10 days of anything like a warm up.....

Even I know that this indicates a warm SWerly flow.  How wet it might be I wouldn't like to say - perhaps drier than the central European high set-up of December, though maybe not for those already affected in the north-west.

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, tight isobar said:

@shuga ice.

Thats a very direct/assured "forecast"... it's either deliberate mild ramping (for which this is the wrong thread)

Or you have access' to an individual model that even the met are unaware of....?!

It is supported by model output - see the following:

h850t850eu.png

EDIT for posterity - I posted this while attempting to be more bullish and of a mildie disposition.  If I'm honst, I used a framethat had beenposted on the ramps thread which, I suspect, was chosen as an example of an outlier.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
I was being a Tutk when I made the original post.
  • Like 8

Posted
22 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

It will turn colder next week but by no means a very cold or prolonged spell.  I would call it a cool dry spell with wintry showers, mainly on coasts and hills.

it will be warming up again the following week.

Firstly Shuga Ice that is not strictly true when you have cold uppers coming in at

7 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It is supported by model output - see the following:

h850t850eu.png

it seems to get through the block incredibly quickly when you look at this

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=192&mode=0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
19 hours ago, Frosty. said:

The most frustrating thing with the models at the moment is trying to remove a quote that you intended to replying to the night before but changed your mind, from a post you want to make now!!!!!

Worth remembering for anyone worrying when they read someone say that the models are bringing in an end to a cold spell in eight days time that eight days ago they weren't showing us a cold snap!  :)

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

The most frustrating thing with the models at the moment is trying to remove a quote that you intended to replying to the night before but changed your mind, from a post you want to make now!!!!!

Worth remembering for anyone worrying when they read someone say that the models are bringing in an end to a cold spell in eight days time that eight days ago they weren't showing us a cold snap!  :)

Hello, If you hold 'CTRL' and right click on the quote it gives you the option to remove it :) hope this helps!

Edited by ALL ABOARD
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

That chart (on an Individual run).Is afull 8days away.

And given the curent model misconduct...Its not worth shaking a stick at...IMO.

...and it's an outlier. Check out the ensembles.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Talking about uncertainty here's the ens for London from both models

568fc11e41887_ensemble-tt6-london8.1.thu

around next weekend appears to be when a big split occurs in the members.

Cold through next week then that low approaching from the sw and it's track and development seem key to future developments.Encouraging to see a fair clutch of cold ens after that though.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
3 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

And also, that with nearly every cold spell which arrives on these shores, models consiistently show an end to it before it actually happens, underestimating how hard it is to shift the cold. So with both these points in mind, bah humbug to the nay-sayers. Particularly those who clearly just try to wind-up others, luckily only one or two. There will be many changes yet! All exciting times though...

Current charts scream potential, we have a good spell of wintry weather to come synoptics will suddenly appear  and every run of the models will be different ,let's get these cold temp in and then any attack from the Atlantic could produce ,but I think we could be seeing some fun come late Tuesday of next week with features popping up ,let's enjoy it STELLAS all round :yahoo:

• Like 9

Posted
58 minutes ago, Howey said:

But I'm happy to be corrected!

no correction needed you are pretty much spot on with what the AA and NAO are. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
8 minutes ago, legritter said:

Current charts scream potential, we have a good spell of wintry weather to come synoptics will suddenly appear  and every run of the models will be different ,let's get these cold temp in and then any attack from the Atlantic could produce ,but I think we could be seeing some fun come late Tuesday of next week with features popping up ,let's enjoy it STELLAS all round :yahoo:

Sounds good Legritter. Certainly, the UKMO hinting colder in place for 5 days at least next week with a threat of sleet and snow almost anywhere.Thereafter, probabaly in their words the less cold Atlantic weather to win out but maybe not without a battle to dislodge the cold block of Britain. Not all lost yet it ssems.

C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Don't worry caterpillars, the NASA model is looking good.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Gorgeous hot sunny days

Can I ask a question about the current model outputs and the approaching change, which pretty much everyone agrees is coming, but the disagreements seem to be around, how big a change and how long it stays basically.    What did the models show in the run up to Dec 2010, did they show it coming at least 10 days out, and did they stay on track all the way through, or did they do as they are doing now, and shift/realign/downgrade/upgrade/all agree/all disagree.     I'm just interested as a very very amateur weather watcher, if the models are behaving as you would expect them too?

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, RachN said:

Can I ask a question about the current model outputs and the approaching change, which pretty much everyone agrees is coming, but the disagreements seem to be around, how big a change and how long it stays basically.    What did the models show in the run up to Dec 2010, did they show it coming at least 10 days out, and did they stay on track all the way through, or did they do as they are doing now, and shift/realign/downgrade/upgrade/all agree/all disagree.     I'm just interested as a very very amateur weather watcher, if the models are behaving as you would expect them too?

If I remember rightly the December 2010 cold spell had less drama and the models didn't disagree within the T144hrs timeframe.

Normally its easterlies that cause big problems with more divergence in the outputs. Its very unusual to see this type of set up with  disagreements starting within T96 hours.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If I remember rightly the December 2010 cold spell had less drama and the models didn't disagree within the T144hrs timeframe.

Normally its easterlies that cause big problems with more divergence in the outputs. Its very unusual to see this type of set up with  disagreements starting within T96 hours.

Might be misremembering but they did chop and change a lot once the cold was shown to appear. Think it switched around 96 hours before a breakdown was expecting to switching to extending the cold, and it was that extension which provided the deepest cold (e.g. when they got almost -18c in Skipton.).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Here's a little sketch to explain in simpler terms about what Steve is speaking about 

This is the ECMWF for 96 hours and 120 hours!

Untitled.thumb.png.74ef6810253b3550b8621  ECH1-120.GIF?08-12

We can see that the energy heads south east and its game over from there in terms of long term potential.

Now here's the UKMO for 96hours and 120 hours!

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisionsukmo.thumb.png.5838f810f3735fce75b39f9ac

The energy heads north east and allows a more favorable setup to emerge.

p.s ignore the overlay on the ukmo 120 hour chart forgot to delete the previous one.

I have splinters in my fingers.The UKMO chart has more of a pronounced greenland ridge on its eastern flank looking at that.The s/e extent of the low toward s/w Greenland looks very similar on both