Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe weather, tornadoes,intersting synopsis ,snow

06z is far more in line with the ECM mean , Heights building back east and a much more pronounced gradient north of developing surface low.  

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Checked this mornings run and we still have the BIG THREE emphatically on board (GFS,ECM/UKMO) with momentum building on a potentially great cold spell! Must admit I was kind of hiding behind my computer seat whilst checking the charts this morning as a downgrade would have been gut wrenching. If anything IMO we have an upgrade, rather than a predominantly dry northerly flow we are now looking at a , more unstable NE flow :D.

My favourite charts of the morning:

ECM 240

Recm2401.gif

Recm2402.gif

This looks very victorian winteresque with the level of cold just gradually creeping up on us with the potential of reloads injecting some serious deep cold over the uk!

Now I'm sorry but this on the gfs 00z is just sick:

Rtavn2761.gif

Rtavn2762.gif

Rtavn2764.gif

one metre of snow in a strengthening easterly gale anyone?? 

With those 850's it would be rain for most

• Like 1

Posted

Amen to the GFS 06hrs run for not causing any drama with the Azores low!

This is what we want to see, get the block in the right place.

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, coldcomfort said:

06 suggests getting this pattern east is going to be like pulling teeth with rusty pliers, but on the plus side it keeps the Az low at bay and eventually introduces a NE'erly. Interesting times ahead and one that will throw up many more emotional highs and lows before the fat lady eventually bursts into song.

I don't know why some folk are so obsessed with having everything further east. Too far east it all falls down, a sharp northerly followed by a collapsing blocking high with milder air rolling in from the northwest, no thanks! We want the greenland high as far west as possible but not so much that we have a west based negative NAO

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Turning to nice N/E flow into the run. With frigid cold uppers over the UK allowing temps to drop to -10/12c.

a.pnga.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
2 minutes ago, SnowTornado said:

I suppose for a time, on the northerly flank there would be snow, be as it makes way inland, it would readily turn to rain, esp lower ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Amen to the GFS 06hrs run for not causing any drama with the Azores low!

This is what we want to see, get the block in the right place.

Yup, does exactly what we want it to do, it hasn't chucked anything out. So bearing in mind the Extended ECM and now the 06z, it seems that it is more unlikely than likely. Still, the cold has been watered down in the shorter term quite significantly and when it arrives. 

gfsnh-1-192.png?6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

gfsnh-14-204.png

gfsnh-1-204.png

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

I don't know why some folk are so obsessed with having everything further east. Too far east it all falls down, a sharp northerly followed by a collapsing blocking high with milder air rolling in from the northwest, no thanks! We want the greenland high as far west as possible but not so much that we have a west based negative NAO.

No you can have a more central or eastern based negative NAO, this doesn't mean that the high will collapse.

Keep wishing for this western pattern set up and I can guarantee you it will end in tears. Get a strong block in the right place and good things will happen!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, SnowTornado said:

Nonsense on face value that would be very heavy snow for north midlands/northern england 100% guaranteed. The evaporative cooling alone in such precipitation would be imense!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Nice black hole

gfsnh-12-228.png?6  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Well....that wait of turn may well be worth it!..

Dramatics unfold and we end up in a far better place than perceived. 

The evolution unfolds and veer's and east/north easterly inflow. ...

Posted
8 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Nonsense on face value that would be very heavy snow for north midlands/northern england 100% guaranteed. The evaporative cooling alone in such precipitation would be imense!

And to back up my point on new years eve 2002 we got 1 foot of snow between around 9pm-3am with uppers of between -3 and -1 !!

Rrea00120030101.gif

Rrea00220021231.gif

Rrea00220030101.gif

Obiously it quickly melted the next morning as + uppers moved in.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The low plays ball on this run...but as far as I can see, each run that gets closer to the time frame, waters the cold uppers out and delays them coming in.. the ECM last night and a couple of other runs in the last 48 hours had -7 uppers down over the centre of the spine of the country by Tuesday...then last night it's Wednesday...now it's Thursday and even then - they are modified. 

Not to be negative, the runs are very good - but these small features shouldn't go un-noticed. Its another very good run. But as far as I can see the main trend for today so far seems to be;

- Delay of the proper cold getting in.

- Snow chances reduced for the south/centre of England

- Colder uppers being modfieid to make things more marginal..

ONE HUGE Tick for the 6z..

- The low plays ball (thank god). 

9 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

For some posters, It's almost as if they didn't witness the warmest November and December in umpteen years. The prospect of ANY cold should be exciting, regardless or not it's 'dry'. 

GFS 06z far better this morning than the 0z.

gfs-0-216.png?6

a.png

Wrong. 

If someone said to me... I'll give you a 3 day cold spell, with temps hovering just on the marginal bracket, but you will get 2 systems that produce 5cm and then 8cm of accumulating snow...or I get 10 days of ice days, that are sunny and frosty but don't bring snow to anyone bar coast fringes and Scotland then I would take the first one with my eyes closed, enjoy it and then search for another spell. 

The greater majority of people want SNOW, not cold and frost. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves

The low coming up from south west has trended south then pulls Easterly wind in for the south there could be a some snow for  southen England..

image.png

• Like 2

Posted

Way out in the run, But it's nice to see the Highlands touching -14c :D  Fabulous 6z extending the cold again throughout the run. 

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

And to back up my point on new years eve 2002 we got 1 foot of snow between around 9pm-3am with uppers of between -3 and -1 !!

Rrea00120030101.gif

Rrea00220030101.gif

Obiously it quickly melted the next morning as + uppers moved in.

Yes, but with considerably lighter winds. Evaporative cooling cannot happen to a sufficient enough level when winds are strong. If you want to read further I put a guide together on this subject...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, abbie123456 said:

The low coming up from south west has trended south then pulls Easterly wind in for the south there could be a some snow for  southen England..

image.png

I saw this myself, certainly looked intriguing, yet so marginal! 850's hovering on the -5'c mark, battleground!

Posted

The GFS 06hrs if offered should be grabbed with open arms. The upstream pattern at T240hrs is a cold lock in as another high will move in as the pattern amplifies over in the eastern USA.

• Like 3