Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
11 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

2m temps on the 00z ECM not as cold as yesterdays 12z but you've probably guessed that looking at the 850 temps which aren't as low, different story over Scotland though with some very low minimums into minus double figures. 

That deep low introduces some less cold air with temps around 6 to 9c in the far south with a strong onshore flow, temps do drop as the low moves east and the wind switches back to north as the depression exits east, minus 15c in parts of Scotland! 

ecmt16.thumb.png.4e177862cbf724221e17f2decmt17.thumb.png.925d6e4273796d64ce73877

Snow chart probably quite optimistic looking at the above temp charts especially in the south but certainly looking better Wales & Midlands northwards, if it did happen I don't think snow would be as widespread as shown below away from high ground with many seeing cold rain, looking at the dew points they are around 3 to 5c from the Midlands southwards... Anyway probably a different set of charts on the 12z later. 

ecms18.thumb.png.7d1ddcafb31962ad6b3bae7

Just to follow on from WiB's post, always worth bearing in mind the stated ratios on these charts too - it's highly unlikely in a setup such as this that we would end up with a 10:1 ratio. Theseare of course more aligned to North American climatology.

And of course it's all conjecture at this stage!

SK

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

I've said before the ensembles chop and change just like the op runs.

You need only look at last night where practically full agreement and 12 hours later it's 50/50!!

As ever more runs needed and the met are correct in holding off for now.

Absolutely - any cold getting in is still at T+96 with different routes where less cold air is entrench or that air not being cold enough , especially in the south

can see full well while the MetO don't start ringing alarm bells until this is modelled at much shorter range

The full 12zs later and their ENS suites will hopefully push more members back to cold - let's see 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Good morning all.

Unfortunately we are still having to remove some off topic posts which clog up the thread.

Just a reminder to use the other threads if discussing the MO outlooks or where it may snow etc.

We have different threads open for these including the new thread for the upcoming cold spell.

Thanks all.:)

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, January Snowstorm said:

I've said before the ensembles chop and change just like the op runs.

You need only look at last night where practically full agreement and 12 hours later it's 50/50!!

As ever more runs needed and the met are correct in holding off for now.

My memory from 09/10 was that the models were always trying to break the cold down and failed.

That day 8 ECM mean is pretty incredible. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BM4PM said:

Sorry to put a imby type post up, but for myself its not looking that great. Current temp forcast for next week in my area is around 5 degrees.

The uppers are there but im guessing the sst must be still quite warm which inturn must be modifying the air. 

I really dont understand as i dont think these charts could get any better. 

They could get a lot better for your area, I am looking for an easterly feed which would be great for Plymouth.  At the moment though I am only seeing a dry bright interlude for most of the U.K for 3 to 4 days before a return to wet & windy weather with hill snow in the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
10 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Solid day 8 ECM ensemble mean.

EDH1-192.GIF

It is a very nice mean chart mulzy! Love how the arctic high is 1040 as a mean , if we can keep that up there pushing the cold air out to lower latitudes then we should have plenty of chances of cold and snow.

its like that feeling you get when your team is in a penalty shootout, it's 4-4 and the other team miss! All we are waiting for is our last player to score and boom we win.

keep up the great work everyone.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, West is Best said:

Good morning my old friend. Well well well ... just when January was being written off by soothsayers these runs come through. Actually the models have been indicating developments for some time, it's just that we're in the unusual position of having huge upgrades at less than T168.

That ECM is an awesome set up, entirely backed by the other two. The GH of 1058 in yellow heights is a thing of great beauty :)

Hi Richard

I noted you were back in, good to have you around.  Yep agree with these huge upgrades, fascinating stuff.  

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM extended superb -

also those keen eyed spot that the op was a mild outlier at day 8 & 9 indicating that low was probably to deep over the UK day 7-

image.thumb.jpg.126608bdefc7bfd9652c91a7

s

What does that control look like Steve!!?  I mean its colder still,

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

6 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Your post is not a true reflection on what any model is showing in the broad scale pattern of things.

Please pm me if you wish to discuss my post further.

John

I understand your point but I see the outputs playing with different scenarios.   The outputs do look stunning but I really can't see the Atlantic playing ball to the extent shown.  Remember, last week there was no sign of anything but mild, wet weather showing with a lot of despondency in here.  I am just taking the middle ground view.  It's pointless having a forum where you are only safe to post snow and cold possibilities and be berated when your view is the opposite.

tonights outputs may show a great outlook for cold but there is also a chance that they may start to get watered down.

I hope for cold snowy weather but it isn't in the bag yet!

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

No real change in the output from last night, a lot of dry and bright weather next week for 3 to 4 days before wet and windy weather with hill snow spreads to northern areas.  The south holding on to dry weather a little longer.

image.png

So how are you seeing this when most of the forum isn't? What's the logic behind your assessment?

• Like 3

Posted

Got too admit, I finding  the model output this morning with a little bit of mixed feeling, just looking at the details on the ECM/UKMO run for the trigger low, quite a backtrack in respect on how far eastwards they want to send the low initially, it follows the GFS runs of it faffing on over the UK before finally pulling away so its the usual of the cold air being delayed(and past experience will tell you that isnt always a good thing). Also the potency of cold has dropped somewhat, still feeling cold but uppers are marginally warmer than they were yesterday. 

Now the bit I am more happy with is that all 3 models have a successful Greenland ridge and none followed last nights 18Z run which i'm relieved about although I would not want the ECM idea of a deep low coming from the Azores to interact with the cold air because for me, the cold air over us is not all that cold to deliver a decent battleground/frontal snow set up, you really need a more pronounce firmer cold batch of air over us to really deliver the goods on that one. 

As I said yesterday, I much prefer the cold air to come in quicker and I am a little shocked at the backtrack of both Euro models regarding the trigger low which does affect the output somewhat but when you get a Greenland high, you always got a chance. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Got too admit, I finding  the model output this morning with a little bit of mixed feeling, just looking at the details on the ECM/UKMO run for the trigger low, quite a backtrack in respect on how far eastwards they want to send the low initially, it follows the GFS runs of it faffing on over the UK before finally pulling away so its the usual of the cold air being delayed(and past experience will tell you that isnt always a good thing). Also the potency of cold has dropped somewhat, still feeling cold but uppers are marginally warmer than they were yesterday. 

Now the bit I am more happy with is that all 3 models have a successful Greenland ridge and none followed last nights 18Z run which i'm relieved about although I would not want the ECM idea of a deep low coming from the Azores to interact with the cold air because for me, the cold air over us is not all that cold to deliver a decent battleground/frontal snow set up, you really need a more pronounce firmer cold batch of air over us to really deliver the goods on that one. 

As I said yesterday, I much prefer the cold air to come in quicker and I am a little shocked at the backtrack of both Euro models regarding the trigger low which does affect the output somewhat but when you get a Greenland high, you always got a chance. 

Hi Geordie

I have to agree with you. Im in a state of unease this morning. After being on cloud 9 after the 12z of yesterday, I found the 18z from the GFS worrying. Although I'm confident a cold outbreak is almost certain, I'm still a little underwhelmed this morning RE longevity, more particularly for those further south. I've been watching the Low that has been key for me to keeping the Atlantic ridge joining the Greenland High for days now and I must admit not for 1 minute did I consider that it might spin off another low and attack the south coast as early as it is being modelled this morning.

I do take some relief in the extended ECM Steve M has recently posted, which does suggest that it may have overdone the intensity of the low and what trajectory it takes, I prefer more E than NE.

Certainly very interesting nonetheless.

image.thumb.jpg.126608bdefc7bfd9652c91a7ECH1-168.GIF?07-12

Overall still good synoptics, but I'm keeping my excitement held back for a bit longer yet, especially for my area. No question areas of the Midlands North could get a pasting from the 168 chart.

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

So how are you seeing this when most of the forum isn't? What's the logic behind your assessment?

To be fair, I think his analysis could well be spot on regarding it will be brighter and quite dry next week but there will be some showers around however I think the emphasis will be more on that it will be dry, chilly and sunny, the PPN charts do reflect this. Regarding the other part of his view on the outputs, Its too early to say what will happen. 

In terms of this mornings output, if the cold air is slightly more modified then I certainly won't be digging any snow shovels out just yet, the air might be barely cold enough for any showers to fall as snow nevermind settling snow. 

• Like 4