Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Current Cold Spell: snow where, snow when - how much?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
18 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

If the models persist in a downgrade then one does have to praise the Met Office who have consistently suggested that the Altantic will win out.

Do the met office actually pay much attention to the operational runs and ensembles  that us Jo public can see, I would think it probably accounts for maybe 20% of their thought process. I'm sure their "decider" in house models are way ahead of anything we can view on Meteociel or Wetterzentral  and rightly so. Model watching is great fun but unfortunately we are eating at the road side cafe and the met office are dinning at the Ritz . 

Shotski

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
17 minutes ago, shotski said:

Do the met office actually pay much attention to the operational runs and ensembles  that us Jo public can see, I would think it probably accounts for maybe 20% of their thought process. I'm sure their "decider" in house models are way ahead of anything we can view on Meteociel or Wetterzentral  and rightly so. Model watching is great fun but unfortunately we are eating at the road side cafe and the met office are dinning at the Ritz . 

Shotski

The Euro ensemble mean gets a lot of weight from them (and clustering from said ensembles) but yeah, as operational runs go they'll have better stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

If the models persist in a downgrade then one does have to praise the Met Office who have consistently suggested that the Altantic will win out.

If you mean the long range forecasts have to disagree - they consistently mention an Atlantic dominated theme on every update since year dot . Nothing too skilful there 

Edited by cobbett
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, cobbett said:

If you mean the long range forecasts have to disagree - they consistently mention an Atlantic dominated theme. Nothing too skilful there 

In that case they've been spot on then :-)

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cobbett said:

If you mean the long range forecasts have to disagree - they consistently mention an Atlantic dominated theme on every update since year dot . Nothing too skilful there 

To be fair, the prevailing wind is from the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Very happy model thread, very quiet Banty ranty thread.....

Posted

So after last nights charts the chance of snow is ever increasing for our region! lets hope it stays like that

I think that we will have a surprise in the last 24/48 hours with the charts! they certainly are playing with us :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Not quite sure it'll hit us, LeeSnowFan. Just looking at where the precipitation is falling when it's cold enough and it's seems to be either on the other side of the hill or more south. :-(

Posted
42 minutes ago, Snowday said:

Not quite sure it'll hit us, LeeSnowFan. Just looking at where the precipitation is falling when it's cold enough and it's seems to be either on the other side of the hill or more south. :-(

last week it was all over was a non event couple days later models flipped and it brought it back for most if not all, I still believe it will change in the last 24/48 hours! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Tomas Schafenaker has tweeted that it it's not going to be that cold and then it will turn milder at the end of the week...

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The tweet Spurry was talking about

Question mark at the end though ??????    :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

last week it was all over was a non event couple days later models flipped and it brought it back for most if not all, I still believe it will change in the last 24/48 hours! :yahoo:

I'd love it if it did!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
8 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Interesting you saying that, looking back on new years day there wasn't a sniff of this so called cold spell that the GFS is now showing.

So who's to say that the GFS won't flip again towards cold in 7-10 days time as this week unfolds, for us Coldies ...Let's hope so :wink:

gfs-0-288.png?6gfs-0-84.png?6

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Up-to Friday temps in the south stay between 5c and 9c by day and 3c to 5c in the north Wednesday night into Thursday sees the chance for some snow even in the south though away from high ground most areas could just see cold rain Wednesday morning looks bitterly cold especially in rural areas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35276469

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Really underwhelming forecast just then on countryfile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
22 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Really underwhelming forecast just then on countryfile.

I thought the same to be honest. An average winter week with chance of snow and few cold nights. It is January it's suppose to be cold with a few frosts.:nonono:

Edited by pegg24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Up-to Friday temps in the south stay between 5c and 9c by day and 3c to 5c in the north Wednesday night into Thursday sees the chance for some snow even in the south though away from high ground most areas could just see cold rain Wednesday morning looks bitterly cold especially in rural areas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35276469

Yes to me, that's just average for mid January, wet at times maybe slight frost, for my location I mean

Posted
4 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

I thought the same to be honest. An average winter week with chance of snow and few cold nights. It is January it's suppose to be cold with a few frosts.:nonono:

dont you think though that she wasnt sure which way it would go midweek onwards and that they are just as confused as the models are 

Posted

Ha ha, after all the hype of those amazing charts when this thread was set up, what another massive let down.

In answer to the op, there will be a little bit of snow on high ground on Wednesday through Thursday and there won't be much.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, PLANET THANET said:

dont you think though that she wasnt sure which way it would go midweek onwards and that they are just as confused as the models are 

I am Probably being negative just thought we was really going to get something good this time. And would be a long cold spell could still happen I suppose least if I expect the worst can only get better :)

Posted
13 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

perhaps I am being to optimistic here but the way she spoke I felt that there was a hidden hint that without raising hopes that there could be another cold spell lurking later on and the fact that they didnt know the outcome midweek of the front approaching and also the  outcome of next weekend keeps me forever hopeful