Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Current Cold Spell: snow where, snow when - how much?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

As usual the cold 'snap' is slipping back. Last Friday we were expecting the 1st flurries in Mids/SE tomorrow. Now it'll be next Monday if we're lucky

Nope. Snow flurries still expected Thursday. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sadly looking more like a big zero here.

• Like 1

Posted

Cold is going to last 3/4 days at least from Thursday,cold enough for snow to fall to low ground that is and settle in favoured spots.

Getting colder tonight before then for hills with sleet/snow showers.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Interesting UKMO at 144hrs. Await ECMWF with interest. 

Does look like the cold/cool spell will last into next week.

Posted

Better tilt to the ridge at T+96. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a315a01dd8cb783a5e4fd0a

UKMO & ECM are not far off from each over -

image.thumb.gif.661aeecd47f06b9502ecd391image.thumb.gif.1bb4d317053506dcc3d016c3

Edit: ECM/UKMO T+120

Houston, we have lift off? 

image.thumb.png.61adf329cb1067ac83c0be36image.thumb.gif.ec8fa22c383d602e9a11ce8e

Wrong thread, never mind!

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Here's how the beeb see things by mid next week maybe some snow on the leading edge as it bumps into the colder air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm expecting to see more of the white stuff on my work colleague's jacket than snow on the ground here.

This cool spell is shaping up to be a bit of a limp-wristed affair.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Can only speak for my neck of the woods, but this cool spell (calling it cold is a bit silly and akin to attempting to polish a turd) has delivered more RAIN than the mild weather of December did.

Not impressed at all. Days gone by Cheshire Gap streamers would often leave several inches of snow in their wake. Last night? Hours of flooding rain! 

F for Fail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

The models are suggesting ice days (i.e. when daytime maxima do not exceeed 0C) for a substantial part of the country.  That's a cold spell by any sensible definition given that we're not located in the middle of a continental landmass.  I'd aso not be too hasty about dismissing any chance of snow, given that there could be a battleground set-up some time around this time next week.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Can only speak for my neck of the woods, but this cool spell (calling it cold is a bit silly and akin to attempting to polish a turd) has delivered more RAIN than the mild weather of December did.

Not impressed at all. Days gone by Cheshire Gap streamers would often leave several inches of snow in their wake. Last night? Hours of flooding rain! 

F for Fail.

You still might http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php

Posted
13 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

F for Fail.

Unfortunately the slow moving trough which was over us for the last couple of days has delayed the cold than some models first suggested way back but the cold air is coming in now if albeit there is one more mild sector to go through tonight then after that we will be in the proper cold and this weekend should be quite cold and frosty, especially at night.

What happens next week is still very much uncertain at this stage unfortunately although trends are the continuation of cold does look likely. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

The models are suggesting ice days (i.e. when daytime maxima do not exceeed 0C) for a substantial part of the country.  That's a cold spell by any sensible definition given that we're not located in the middle of a continental landmass.  I'd aso not be too hasty about dismissing any chance of snow, given that there could be a battleground set-up some time around this time next week.

That's true...But to what degree (pardon the pun) will the ice-day potential be down to anticyclonic temperature inversions? I can recall a day, in 1979, that started-out at -18C; the minute the wind broke the inversion it was warm enough for sleety rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That's true...But to what degree (pardon the pun) will the ice-day potential be down to anticyclonic temperature inversions? I can recall a day, in 1979, that started-out at -18C; the minute the wind broke the inversion it was warm enough for sleety rain...

True enough, I suppose - I bow to your superior knowledge.:hi:

Posted

I see, for my area, in South Staffs, just outside Wolverhampton, there seems to be no chance of snow tonight. Is there any chance there could be a surprise and I may see snow or is there no chance? I have also heard I could be in a sweet spot for a Cheshire gap streamer on Thursday night and Friday. Is this correct and would this likely be all snow rather than sleet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

True enough, I suppose - I bow to your superior knowledge.:hi:

lol I'm only asking the question; I can be as wrong as anyone, too!:D

Posted
5 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

I see, for my area, in South Staffs, just outside Wolverhampton, there seems to be no chance of snow tonight. Is there any chance there could be a surprise and I may see snow or is there no chance? I have also heard I could be in a sweet spot for a Cheshire gap streamer on Thursday night and Friday. Is this correct and would this likely be all snow rather than sleet?

Well it turned to snow at the highest points around here last night..and the coldest air hasn't arrived yet, so who knows?

That Cheshire Gap is always a little unpredictable around here so my advice is to watch the radar and get into the regional thread and see what's happening to our friends northwest of us in Telford and Shrewsbury!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
46 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Netweather GFS Image

This flow looks perfect! our locations need dark blue thicknesses off this setup, or it's just rain, wind direction looks decent angle, and 6am, probably snowiest time of day possible, now not expecting a snowfest (low levels) but certainly a smattering

Netweather GFS Image

now tonight (our locations) absolutely no chance, can see the cold air is just into Scotland, Rain tonight

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252