Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Current Cold Spell: snow where, snow when - how much?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, SteveB said:

Totally agree with this, March 2013 was cold but bone dry, apart from the odd snowflake blowing in the wind. I also remember it being grey and dull most the time.

Same in my area, dull, very chilly with the odd snowflake blowing in the vile wind. Went on for weeks, the worst early Spring I can remember.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Same in my area, dull, very chilly with the odd snowflake blowing in the vile wind. Went on for weeks, the worst early Spring I can remember.

Yep, hope this March is nothing like that  one.

What made it even  worse was seeing the news footage of the snow everyone else had (apart from us)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, SteveB said:

Yep, hope this March is nothing like that  one.

What made it even  worse was seeing the news footage of the snow everyone else had (apart from us)

Hehe yes I remember the huge snowstorms further N. For us in the S it was an exceptionally dreary spell of weather, even by UK standards. Hopefully never to be repeated!

Posted

That's just it though, March isn't a warm month. 4th coldest of the year, colder than November. Far too much expectation of "warmth" every year, in my opinion. Reliable warmth should only reasonably be expected from around mid April onwards.

A cold March would do me, make the most of the wintry window of opportunity. Unlike 2013, though, I'd rather the cold be there from the start, rather than beginning 10 days into the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

So after the longest battle between the models I can remember the cold spell begins tonight, let's see where it takes us! Good luck to everyone hopefully we will see some snow and heavy frosts, if it all goes down the toilet remeber it's just the weather! :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, JOPRO said:

So after the longest battle between the models I can remember the cold spell begins tonight, let's see where it takes us! Good luck to everyone hopefully we will see some snow and heavy frosts, if it all goes down the toilet remeber it's just the weather! :cold:

What a ridiculous thing to say! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

March 2013 was very cold and snowy here around Derby. The Peak District was absolutely pasted with snow and it stayed on the ground from the 22nd March well into April. 

A few freeze frames of video I took in the Peak District on the 24th March.

vlcsnap-error501.thumb.png.4eef41e46dc1d  vlcsnap-error558.thumb.png.28814453e63eb 

vlcsnap-error545.thumb.png.64b3d9452d11avlcsnap-error641.thumb.png.de130fe108a41

vlcsnap-error194.thumb.png.3f918805e1753vlcsnap-error466.thumb.png.08e3f414b7907

January 2013 saw some deep snowfalls too but not to the extent of March.

There is already some snow up in the Peak District. I will likely head up there this weekend as I expect there will be a nice blanket up there by then. I do not expect anything like the scenes of March 2013 though, I would be surprised if I saw something that exceptional for a long time.

• Like 7

Posted

Would be good to know what the coldest min temp was in March 2013. Yes sheltered snow covered valleys in the Highlands and Pennines could easily go below -10 this weekend, light winds and clear skies, equals bitter cold. Would be good to see somewhere go lower than -15 degrees.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, March Blizzard said:

That's just it though, March isn't a warm month. 4th coldest of the year, colder than November. Far too much expectation of "warmth" every year, in my opinion. Reliable warmth should only reasonably be expected from around mid April onwards.

A cold March would do me, make the most of the wintry window of opportunity. Unlike 2013, though, I'd rather the cold be there from the start, rather than beginning 10 days into the month.

Agree, March can certainly be cold - not just 2013 being a cold one in the last 10 years. Early March 2006 was pretty damn cold as well with snow falls, Manchester airport got down to -8C http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGCC/2006/3/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Would be good to know what the coldest min temp was in March 2013. Yes sheltered snow covered valleys in the Highlands and Pennines could easily go below -10 this weekend, light winds and clear skies, equals bitter cold. Would be good to see somewhere go lower than -15 degrees.

The coldest temperature of the month was -12.9c at Aboyne, Aberdeenshire early on the 11th March. 

The cold spell at the end of the month was more remarkable because of low maxima than low minima with ice days but too much wind for it to get too low at night.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Supacell said:

The coldest temperature of the month was -12.9c at Aboyne, Aberdeenshire early on the 11th March. 

The cold spell at the end of the month was more remarkable because of low maxima than low minima with ice days but too much wind for it to get too low at night.

5.7C and -0.3C were the average CET maxima and minima for the month, respectively. The coldest mean Max and joint 5th coldest mean min for the month of March. I prefer the look of March 1883: 5.9C and -2.0C.

...or better yet. February 1895, average monthly CET minima of -5.1! My idea of winter heaven.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Zero snow remote chance we may see a flake during the day but doesn't look like anything significant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Not even a dusting here....:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Monday's snow chances have increased this morning with both GFS and ECM edging the Atlantic fronts into the cold air. Angle of approach and how far inland the ppn makes it will be crucial so details yet to be sorted. Though UKMO keeps us dry.

certainly one to watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Well just started pouring with snow here none through the night but a good dusting now sticking everywhere so at least we are seeing something at last! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Durham always does tend to far well. Nothing but cold rain down here! :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 3 cold weather alert issued for all parts of England

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 0905 on Thu 14 Jan 2016

There is a 99% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and heavy snow between 0900 on Thursday 14 Jan and 1200 on Tuesday 19 Jan in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Turning much colder for all parts of England over the next few days. Spells of sleet and snow that start the period will become increasingly confined to the North Sea coast and hills, giving way to cold, crisp days and sharp overnight frosts. Frosts may also be severe at times, particularly where there is lying snow. As winds fall light there is an increasing risk of freezing fog patches forming overnight. Locally where freezing fog lingers temperatures may stay sub-zero all day. Cold weather currently looks set to last into early next week. At this stage, it appears that the weather may then turn less cold during the middle of next week.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted

Yep, it has been snowing for a couple of hours and is laying well here now. Its a bit wet for the roads but the grass is covered. Ironically its already the best since January 2013, showing how rubbish the last three years have been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A few flakes at lunch time here otherwise nothing to mention.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

After a few hours of sleet, it's snowing and blowing a gale here, starting to settle a bit on cars and grass. Looking at the radar, seems that there is more to come this evening.

Hoping the rest of the snow lovers on here get something over the coming days and weeks.

• Like 1