Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Thunder snow here.... big flash and loud thunder

Saw the flash, heard the Thunder but didn't get the snow....just normal hail...left a covering but quickly melting again ground temps appear to warm at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
31 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

Seen at least three flashes and we now have a thick covering of hail.

Best effort at thundershow I've seen for a long while and fortunately I was walking home throughout.

started as large hail then turned to heavy snow and throughout there were several flashes of lightening followed by loud thunder.

completely covered everything to a couple of cm by the time it cleared through into Yorkshire.

roads were a mess but fortunately I wasn't driving.

Nice to witness and certainly a surprise compared to the tame efforts from earlier in the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Nothing happening here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Apart from about 5 drops of hail 11am this morning we've had no ppn at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

First shower of the day here,and guess what fell from the sky.

Dont think i nred to say anymore do i.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not much happening here, earlier snow quickly melted, just bits left on the car. No doubt a foot of snow on April fools day. :rofl:

Posted

...and just like that the Irish Sea shuts off it's shower making tap...I'm not even sure if it will be cold enough for ice tonight even if the skies clear.  Maybe for Northern areas.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
3 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

...and just like that the Irish Sea shuts off it's shower making tap...I'm not even sure if it will be cold enough for ice tonight even if the skies clear.  Maybe for Northern areas.

Take a look at the satellite, already frontal cloud is coming over.

Posted
41 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

First shower of the day here,and guess what fell from the sky.

Dont think i nred to say anymore do i.

C.S

Hail or rain lol!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Nothing showing over the Irish Sea now so it looks like that's it until the front arrives later in the night.

maybe some transient snow from that but I can't imagine it being too long before the usual mild sector arrives and cold rain takes over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Minus 10 said:

I do think this setup could at least see our first falling snow showers of the winter tonight. The showers so far have been a hail/sleet mix. Can't post any charts as on phone, might do later.

Totally changed my mind with this rash statement earlier, was on phone and out at the time. Didn't take many charts in.

Now I've had a proper look, I don't think tonight with deliver anything but a few hail/sleet showers.

So still the wait will go on this winter to even see snow falling! God it's been a dismal winter for some so far, proper snow starved!!! :cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 hours ago, Minus 10 said:

Totally changed my mind with this rash statement earlier, was on phone and out at the time. Didn't take many charts in.

Now I've had a proper look, I don't think tonight with deliver anything but a few hail/sleet showers.

So still the wait will go on this winter to even see snow falling! God it's been a dismal winter for some so far, proper snow starved!!! :cray:

Indeed I saw a palm tree threatening a birch tree, mockingly, and the Birch just kicked the bucket. Guess they know it's coming. ;-)

But seriously, zilch precipitation today.. maybe not only are we coming a subtropical paradise but also a desert :rofl:

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Its a cold night. Disappointed again !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SP1986 said:

Indeed I saw a palm tree threatening a birch tree, mockingly, and the Birch just kicked the bucket. Guess they know it's coming. ;-)

But seriously, zilch precipitation today.. maybe not only are we coming a subtropical paradise but also a desert :rofl:

Arecaceae kicking ass ,like it:yahoo:

Posted

Despite reasonably cold thickness values - sub 528 dam air, temps are holding up here, currently about 4.5 degrees, where it has been all day, too much wind and cloud about, alas we endured one or two fleeting hail showers and that's it. The fells have a nice dusting but no prolonged snowfall of note - a NW blast with little bite this time around.

Looking ahead -preety typical mid winter fayre, a brief mild interlude later tomorrow and Monday with the snow washed away - yet again... back to cold conditions with snow on higher ground, perhaps low levels Tuesday and into Wednesday, milder weather returns on Thursday though temperatures only a little above the average, further rain, snow increasingly falling to lower levels by the weekend.

I'm not particularly enthused with such prospects, but there are promising signals as we enter further through Feb, with colder conditions perhaps winning out, and hopefully some much needed drier spells as well. Many people I speak too around here are completely fed up with this winter now.. its been a depressing one for those affected by the floods, naturally around this time of year people have grown tired with the dismal darkness, this year the feeling is more entrenched than ever.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Its all scatter cushion lol

Posted
18 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Despite reasonably cold thickness values - sub 528 dam air, temps are holding up here, currently about 4.5 degrees, where it has been all day, too much wind and cloud about, alas we endured one or two fleeting hail showers and that's it. The fells have a nice dusting but no prolonged snowfall of note - a NW blast with little bite this time around.

Looking ahead -preety typical mid winter fayre, a brief mild interlude later tomorrow and Monday with the snow washed away - yet again... back to cold conditions with snow on higher ground, perhaps low levels Tuesday and into Wednesday, milder weather returns on Thursday though temperatures only a little above the average, further rain, snow increasingly falling to lower levels by the weekend.

I'm not particularly enthused with such prospects, but there are promising signals as we enter further through Feb, with colder conditions perhaps winning out, and hopefully some much needed drier spells as well. Many people I speak too around here are completely fed up with this winter now.. its been a depressing one for those affected by the floods, naturally around this time of year people have grown tired with the dismal darkness, this year the feeling is more entrenched than ever.

Couldn't agree more.

it hasn't been cold but we've had the heating on almost every evening because it's felt so damp.

the darkness seems to have gone on longer this winter and with almost constant wet weekends, doing outside jobs has been almost impossible.

i just hope we get something decent over the spring and summer but I'm not that optimistic given the last couple of years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well its been dry all night until i posted, now its hailstoning/snowing

• Like 1

Posted

Horrible damp start to the day here.

The temperature is 2.2c so certainly not mild but what is falling at the moment is rain.

a bit of snow still remains on the ground but it's slowly disappearing and no doubt will have gone completely by later today.

Posted

Ah...a typical cool air to milder air breakdown transition in place... cold drizzle, to slightly milder drizzle.  Wet sleet/hail yesterday, just wet, damp and grey today.

Posted

Yes drizzle here too had a whiteout yesterday but nothing stuck had a few hefty hail showers too

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy drizzle as moved aside for heavy rain.... Positively lashing it down now.  This country has many beautiful scenic places, but the worrying trend of mild & very wet winters is making even me think about spending the final chapters of my existence in warmer, sunnier climes.  Not that I'm anywhere near that stage yet