Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Big story this morning is how the UKMO is doing its own thing and disagrees with all the rest 

image.gif

So what's the big story here then,it's just a weak ridge not  strong enough high.no doubt it wil only get flattened again!:angry:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Two things to focus on in the coming days, first off is the cold snap at the start of next week.

ECM1-120.GIF?18-12   ECM0-120.GIF?18-12

Arctic maritme air sweeps southwards with showers, most favoured across coastal parts of Scotland and Irish sea coasts, there could be other areas which could get some, especially with tweaks in the orientation of the Atlantic ridge/Scandi trough. Pretty standard fare though, the UKMO does offer a different outlier solution at the moment though.

The second is the development of above normal heights over the Arctic in general as we move into week 2 and beyond.

GEFs

gensnh-21-5-240.png

At day 10 we see below normal heights over Europe with a ridge in the Atlantic and to our north/north east. This would support the idea of the ECM, though an extended easterly looks unlikely.

We do get another attempt at this though.

gensnh-21-5-300.png     gensnh-21-5-360.png

This looks quite promising in the extended range with the hint of heights to our north west with another Euro trough developing, also note upstream the clear indication drain the low heights south east into the Atlantic as opposed to riding over the Atlantic ridge as shown on the day 10 anomaly.

So a sign that the we will see a waning of the zonal westerly pattern that has dominated this winter with something more blocked developing. The question would be whether we can develop a cold enough pattern to give a showery/snowy outcome as opposed to dry and cloudy one. That said heights to the north west is often more favourable to the former solution than say a Scandi high.

I would also say at this point that if we do see a pattern change that this has been well signposted by the longer range models. 

• Like 8

Posted
11 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

So what's the big story here then,it's just a weak ridge not  strong enough high.no doubt it wil only get flattened again!:angry:

More the uncertainty than the actual synoptics. When the UKMO diverges at 96h it's worth paying attention and casts doubts over what the others are showing. 

• Like 1

Posted

Some bizarre goings on with the UKMO which continues to throw out different solutions to the ECM/GFS. I thought after last nights output it would move to the others as the UKMO weren't convinced and modified their fax charts to the ECM.

Todays solution is different to last nights so its not as if its sticking with one theme. Unless the GFS 06hrs run makes a big move towards it then I think its very unlikely.

After this divergence we're left with an underwhelming GFS or on the face of it a much better ECM synoptically but lacking any deep cold to tap into. The latter is still the one you'd want to verify because its building a block ne.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, IDO said:

UKMO D6 charts should have a health warning like the ECM D10 charts IMO.

There are no signs of any pattern change to March 5 on the GFS 0z run. The Azores every 5 days will try to build north but gets flattened by the PV lobe off Canada, so the potential for toppler after toppler, but as this "cold spell?" testifies to, much ado about nothing! Poor synoptics for most of the country as you need a lot to go right to get anything worthwhile.

The CFS w3 and w4 are showing this theme maintained: 

Looking at the GEFS for the next 16 days for London and overall pretty average fare:

Not sure the strat PV will be killed off by a Major SSW; its demise has been much exaggerated this Winter, and probably too late for us the way its going. After the last few winters it was hard to think this could be any worse, but its up there with the worst of them for cold. What we don't want now is a Spring dominated by a cool flow with cold rain, though I suspect that is what is upcoming. 

IF UKMO D6 charts and ECM D10 charts should have a health warning then shouldn't GFS D16 charts as well???

The CFS is run very often considering its a LR model, yesterday it was showing a cold blocked March.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

IF UKMO D6 charts and ECM D10 charts should have a health warning then shouldn't GFS D16 charts as well???

The CFS is run very often considering its a LR model, yesterday it was showing a cold blocked March.

Just my opinion from this winter that the UKMO is dire at handling rises of pressure in the Atlantic, wrong every time. It can get undercuts right, but Health Warnings for when it predicts rises and others counter. Not saying its right or wrong but I would be very surprised if it is correct based on past efforts.

CFS does four runs a day so yes the odd one or two in a few days may show something different but the overall trend has not been for those heights.

GFS at D16 should be treated with caution but my consensus is that the great D16 charts come and go as quickly and we end up back with the ENSO pattern that has dominated this Winter. That applies to Major SSW charts.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, Timmytour said:

Yes some good FI outlook again, but that's been a constant theme of this winter, a winter of promises but precious few deliveries.

tbh I think fewer and  fewer people can get themselves excited about such charts popping up in FI now. Not even the Daily Express can be bothered with them any more!!!!

True to a point but have to say even the models were showing sweet nothing right out to FI through the majority of December until towards the end...probably the worst winter month ever as regards to 'hunting' for cold. Agree it takes now some fairly exceptonal charts once you get into March to catch my interest and as other posters have mentioned northerlies won't do much for more southern and central areas due to the Arctic being some warm and the drasted mild sectors in such 'Am' flows which seem to be occuring more often.

Oh well always next winter and as 2 out of the last 3 have been so bad surely we won't have another poor winter next?...he said.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

not far apart as I think it was BA alluded to, forgetting the detail, agreement of the overall pattern is remarkably similar again ECM & GFS

ECH1-240.gif

gfsnh-0-252.png

Is that a spring smile in that strat :D

gfsnh-10-240.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

Just my opinion from this winter that the UKMO is dire at handling rises of pressure in the Atlantic, wrong every time. It can get undercuts right, but Health Warnings for when it predicts rises and others counter. Not saying its right or wrong but I would be very surprised if it is correct based on past efforts.

CFS does four runs a day so yes the odd one or two in a few days may show something different but the overall trend has not been for those heights.

GFS at D16 should be treated with caution but my consensus is that the great D16 charts come and go as quickly and we end up back with the ENSO pattern that has dominated this Winter. That applies to Major SSW charts.

So the GFS Day 16 chart changes often but shows what you expect to show but the ECM and UKM charts also changes often but is not to be trusted. 

Hint of contradiction? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For the weekend its look colder for Scotland with the chance of some significant snow further south it will be spring like with temps pushing towards the mid teens

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Not much change from the 00z

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Early warnings are also out for some heavy rain in the north west one to keep a close eye on given how saturated the ground is still

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Hmm in my oppinion its quite obvious what wil happen in the next week or so,pressure making attempts to rise in the mid Atlantic before Atlantic lows spoil the party,u can see this in the latest gfs run it has 2 or 3 attempts at giving us what we want but in reality never makes it!we shouldn't be expecting much more really it's typical of this winter just being teased my models it seems!

Posted
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Hmm in my oppinion its quite obvious what wil happen in the next week or so,pressure making attempts to rise in the mid Atlantic before Atlantic lows spoil the party,u can see this in the latest gfs run it has 2 or 3 attempts at giving us what we want but in reality never makes it!we shouldn't be expecting much more really it's typical of this winter just being teased my models it seems!

shall we give up then on that note?  Because I must be honest I'd quite happily right now :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Good Morning,

I have not posted for 3 weeks, hols but also  nothing to get excited at in the models, but at last i see some light, all being a bit  late but better than never. Late February and the first three weeks of March can still provide real winter and persistent snow on the ground, obviously some heights help and that 4 week period, if we are lucky, could provide some tasty synoptics and patterns to drool over.

Well whats changed

1. Time of the year ...traditionally one of the best periods for heavier snow showers and heights developing over Scandinavia or to the north

2. The raging jet stream over the Northern Hemisphere which has been our  problem all winter has recently  become more meridional over the Atlantic providing some colder polar maritime  interludes, even though not providing the goods as yet. We just require some real heights to develop to our north and push the jet stream permanently  further south. At present they are temporary ridges but my feeling is we are due a stronger block

3. AO is predicted a lot more negativity, unfortunately NAO isnt on board as yet

I have being looking at charts for over 40 years and my gut feeling is that we will get our strong Scandinavian High and push the Atlantic  depressions further to the south  giving UK the cold side of the jetstream,  and if we are really lucky these heights may  link west and join  forces with a substantial Greenland high and bingo!!! Jet stream knocked out!! Battleground scenarios.

Heads up, i know its frustrating but the let downs dont last for ever and i feel our turn is coming. Hang on another week guys.

We might all see some snow falling Sunday, Monday anyway but the model runs  later in the week could be even  more interesting to  view, and they are not really boring as in December and January

Edited by Derbyshire Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
13 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

shall we give up then on that note?  Because I must be honest I'd quite happily right now :nonono:

Well even a couple days ago there was some encouraging signs for next week, they have all but disappeared. It's looking very average!

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Is that a spring smile in that strat :D

:D The nose is looking a bit blue .... scarf and gloves needed. :cold:

1MnW6Y5.gif

• Like 8

Posted

In days gone by, the fact that the South of England is missing out on snow would be seen as a blessing! Maybe it's all the old folk praying very hard for a mild winter?

Or more likely, we are very, very lucky.

Luck doesn't last...

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Well even a couple days ago there was some encouraging signs for next week, they have all but disappeared. It's looking very average!

Well I think we will have to agree to disagree there.

The last thing I want is cold in Spring, but I think it is a distinct possibility

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
25 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Well I think we will have to agree to disagree there.

The last thing I want is cold in Spring, but I think it is a distinct possibility

See previously I'd agree, but it's becoming more and more apparent that November and December are just extended periods of Autumn, whilst late February and March have offered us the best cold synoptics in the last few years. As far as I'm concerned, the first half of March is now spent searching for a last shot of cold and snow (ironically, this year, perhaps a first shot)..there is plenty of time for yet more of the 'averageness' this climate provides from...April until December. Searching for something out of the ordinary (IE cold and snow) is worth it IMO. After this winter, I just hope the spring/summer provides some entertainment in the extreme weather department..(april squalls, huge summer thunderstorms).

What a shame we can't 'build' on the atlantic, it would perhaps help slow the jet stream down. But i'm going way off topic here. 

Apologies. 

• Like 8

Posted

On the face of it, some charts around that seem to scream wintry possibilities:

ECM1-240.GIF?18-12

But going by the ECM ensemble members, chances of a day where snow falls south of, say, Manchester = less than 10%. Chances of an ice day = less than 1%.

(Obviously areas further north looking rather better, especially with a bit of elevation)

It's just getting too late in the day, and there's not enough cold already in place.

A long-fetch NEly lasting several days or a massive Greenland High is the only way to deliver a substantial snowfall now.

• Like 1