Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted

That stupid shortwave near Iceland needs to do one and bog off! That's a real pain as its just waiting to phase with the upstream troughing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, nick sussex said:

That stupid shortwave near Iceland needs to do one and bog off! That's a real pain as its just waiting to phase with the upstream troughing.

Yes it looks like I may have spoken too soon and it may bugger us.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes it looks like I may have spoken too soon and it may bugger us.

These Icelandic shortwaves would survive a meteor hitting the earth! You just know that regardless of any other changes that shortwave will survive intact in future runs. We might get away with it if the upstream pattern remains amplified.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

These Icelandic shortwaves would survive a meteor hitting the earth! You just know that regardless of any other changes that shortwave will survive intact in future runs. We might get away with it if the upstream pattern remains amplified.

Sorry Nick, I was way behind you, I was watching it on Netweather as meteociel not doing wonders for my computer speed lately so you were probably wondering what I was on about when I called a good run - just seen it on meteociel now.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Sorry Nick, I was way behind you, I was watching it on Netweather as meteociel not doing wonders for my computer speed lately so you were probably wondering what I was on about - just seen it on meteociel now.

No you were right it did try and bugger us! lol But the pattern remained amplified upstream although I'm sure the GFS will try and find something else to annoy me with! It didn't take long now that Siberian high wants to keep the pattern too far west!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Darn it GFS, I wanted the Scandi trough further south next week, not the small low sneaking across under the mid-Atlantic ridge! :rolleyes::laugh:

As for the longer term...

npsh500.pnggfsnh-0-384.png?18

A faster transition to a -ve AO compared to the 12z, but the addition of a bombing low over Canada is not helpful. Good test though to see if the blocking signal indicates something robust enough to withstand such an onslaught and produce blocking NE of the UK perhaps.

Edit: oh I see from Banbury's post that it loses the battle but then comes back with a vengeance to win the war! Netweather's lagging behind a bit tonight.

gfsnh-0-384.png?18

That's impressively consistent with the 12z, and in fact so long as the model keeps producing a favourably aligned strat. split and MJO movement to phase 8, this theme may prove to be commonplace in the model's output for the end of Feb/early March.

Then, of course, the complications will be latched onto :wallbash:;)

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no
4 minutes ago, Banbury said:

gfsnh-0-336.png?18

An interesting start to March still on offer from GFS

two runs in deep deep FI , with similar endings.... 

The PV gets knocked out of the ring as well ..... 

gfsnh-10-336.thumb.png.2ee1bc9aeacf78ab2

• Like 1

Posted

Heavens above  - we can get cold weather with a tanking -ve AO

gensnh-9-1-384.thumb.png.820004c2bd47be3

If we do not get something interesting in a couple of weeks I will be amazed  - unfortunately probably not as extreme as this (this is for the benefit of NS who wanted to see some N blocking)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather in winter

And where did all this hype come from regarding snowfall from this front moving southeast? It may still happen that snowfall occurs but taking a look at this 'now' chart,head scratching can commence forthwith likes...

Reurmett.gif

Edited by Mildcarlisle

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mildcarlisle said:

And where did all this hype come from regarding snowfall from this front moving southeast? It may still happen that snowfall occurs but taking a look at this 'now' chart,head scratching can commence forthwith likes...

Reurmett.gif

No hype - people discussing what the models were/are showing (including the MetO) which varied from no snow to significant snow from run to run. I would wait until it has happened in any case but whatever happens this is what was shown.

Edited by swilliam
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well we may finally get our E'ly....just as March is about to be ushered in

h500slp.png

Potential for a big retrogression later on

h500slp.png

Yep, HP tries to head out back into the N Atlantic with increased amplification

h500slp.png

Plenty of signals for March but none of them particularly warm it has to be said!

On a side note, Monday could be fun.....hail, sleet and snow showers blown through on a strong NW wind....UKMO keeps the flow going from Sunday night right through to Monday night

UW120-21.GIF

UW144-21.GIF?17-05

GFS slightly quicker to blow it through

gfs-0-114.png?0

gfs-0-144.png?0

Still, perhaps some temporary local accumulations to lower levels where banding occurs

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Mildcarlisle said:

Reurmett.gif

Cold air under cutting from NW - back edge sleet or snow!

But mainly only above 200 metres with those temperatures.

Absolutely nothing to get hyped about!

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Well we may finally get our E'ly....just as March is about to be ushered in

h500slp.png

Potential for a big retrogression later on

h500slp.png

Yep, HP tries to head out back into the N Atlantic with increased amplification

h500slp.png

Plenty of signals for March but none of them particularly warm it has to be said!

On a side note, Monday could be fun.....hail, sleet and snow showers blown through on a strong NW wind....UKMO keeps the flow going from Sunday night right through to Monday night

UW120-21.GIF

UW144-21.GIF?17-05

GFS slightly quicker to blow it through

gfs-0-114.png?0

gfs-0-144.png?0

Still, perhaps some temporary local accumulations to lower levels where banding occurs

The way things are panning out in the model out put this season there are two hopes of the Easterly. Bob hope and ....ing no hope:D. Ensembles look nothing special either

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some notable medium-range differences between 00z GFS and EC operationals this morning,.

GFS keen on trough disruption again as a lobe of the trop Polar Vortex breaks away SE into Western Europe from t+216 eventually forming an upper low over the western Med while an easterly develops to the north over the UK (albeit not deep cold advection).

ECM, on the other hand, extends a lobe of the PV SE toward the UK, but has no trough disruption and keeps the UK under a cyclonic SWly flow.

The differences may stem to differing pattern upstream, EC develops a cut off upper low over SE USA which pulls the Azores high west into NE USA / Ern Canada keeping the upper flow flat over the Atlantic. While GFS keeps a high amplitude trough over eastern N America and thus more amplification downstream over the N Atlantic - which is more conducive for trough disruption over Western Europe.

image.thumb.gif.b1193650e519e0616018e492

so worth keeping any eye on those NOAA updates today ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

I am sorry but I do not agree with the fact that freezing level is at 2000ft at the minute as I have 2 inches of fresh snow lying IMBY at 45m asl however many ft that is (150ft??). Temps hovering around 0C since 3am. 

Model-wise it does look like we are headed to a colder period with short mild shots interspersed. As someone said a while ago, seasons appear to be two months behind schedule indeed. 

Edited by peborant
  • Like 4

Posted

There are differences between the 3 anomaly charts I use, as Nick posts above differences between them but essentially, in the UK area, they show a flow north of west around the Atlantic ridge into the trough over Europe. The NOAA version last evening did not show this, see below, so with differences in the 3 then more caution than usual is required for the 6-10 day outlook.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

An interesting outlook from the extended 00z EPS mean as we head into the first few days of March.  By day 15, it shows a -ve height anomaly centred over the North Sea and over eastern USA, while +ve height anomalies dominate the arctic circle including Greenland and Svalbard. The 00z EPS control at day 15, though not to be trusted at that range shows ridging extending north from the Atlantic across Iceland and up to Svalbard and an upper trough centred over northern Italy. Cold start to March?

Cheers for that Nick. Certainly would tie in with some of the eye candy that the GFS was churning out in F.I, big question is can the signal be maintained and come to fruition? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

I think it says a lot that the ECM 00z was such a dong when it came to next week and phasing those lows, yet still produced the dramatic dive south in the jet through Europe for days 9-10 with height rises to the north. 

Really there is impressive synergy between the longer range suggestions of ECM and GFS at the moment, ensembles included. With strong MJO forcing comes this potential for a more confident outlook - but as ever this season, the stratosphere raises some questions. A significant warming event, quite probably a SSW, is being indicated end of Feb/start of March, but exact timing is uncertain, and location even more so, with the vortex movement and extent of weakening changing significantly from run to run.

Put it this way though - the scope of potential ranges from an irritatingly chilly March with some cold rain for the south in particular to something on a par with March 2013 (yes, I know, that seems crazy - just three years after the coldest in about a century!), so there is a lot to play for here... but losing could be particularly unpleasant unless we happen to see a blocking high locate in just the right place for an early spring instead.

• Like 3

Posted

Extreme caution advised,but the CFS has been churning out a lot of northern blocking in March charts over the last few weeks,the latest run was rather spectacular for example.

cfsnh-3-3-2016.thumb.png.e0cacf9417a3622cfsnh-0-3-2016.thumb.png.c6d086f8fef1638

Posted

currently a strong signal for snow virtually everywhere on sunday. (much stronger than todays feeble effort anyway) just 4 days away-

prectypeuktopo-1.thumb.png.14ede20049746prectypeuktopo-2.thumb.png.1255c6f7357afprectypeuktopo-3.thumb.png.67aad7e89a3bcprectypeuktopo-4.thumb.png.1f58100182f12

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Models still unsure about when precipitation will clear the SE just 24 hours out. One has it lingering until the evening...one has it clear early afternoon. 

Screenshot_2016-02-17-11-30-28.png

Screenshot_2016-02-17-11-30-07.png

Screenshot_2016-02-17-11-29-36.png

Screenshot_2016-02-17-11-29-07.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

currently a strong signal for snow virtually everywhere on sunday. (much stronger than todays feeble effort anyway) just 4 days away-

prectypeuktopo-1.thumb.png.14ede20049746prectypeuktopo-2.thumb.png.1255c6f7357afprectypeuktopo-3.thumb.png.67aad7e89a3bcprectypeuktopo-4.thumb.png.1f58100182f12

Isn't it supposed to be very mild on Sunday?  If it can't manage to snow today, there's not a snowball in Hell's chance that it will snow at the weekend, lol!

• Like 1