Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Theme of the 12z EC is essentially pretty cold but largely dry aside from the odd light snow shower drifting in off the North Sea.

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

That doesn't sound good enough for with in 15 miles of the coast, need -9 at least if precip is light,   Unless there are other more  conducive parameters.  No point worrying about it yet I suppose. 

The Irish coast benefits by having more lively precipitation though. Worth monitoring on the next few runs.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Banbury said:

You have to laugh, its amazing what doesnt look too good, some are so hard to please

ECH1-144.GIF?21-0

ECM0-144.GIF?21-0

Feeling cold in a set up that we craved for, you never know what might crop up

Ok so u don't think it's borderline for snow on the south at weekend,with -2/6 uppers?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Theme of the 12z EC is essentially pretty cold but largely dry aside from the odd light snow shower drifting in off the North Sea.

The 240 could be pretty snowy though if that Low tracks where I think it is going to though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

ECM sticking with the mainly dry and cold theme again so far..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Good day all round from the models today great update from Ian f earlier. I know a lot crave snow but cold and dry will suit many round here after all the flooding we have endured. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Another slider at +216, and very cold over the UK. Looking like a possible lengthy spell of cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The ecm 240 is epic for longevity look at the deep purples heading back towards Scandinavia and into Europe could be pretty exciting start to spring 

Posted

The UKMO looking like by far the best output at T144hrs and likely beyond if it went past that point. The ECM drops the low south but too far west and with less cold advection into the UK from the ne. The GFS has the low a bit further east but doesn't develop anything like the height rises towards the nw.

The ECM is better than the GFS past T168hrs as it looks like cutting shortwaves se in towards the UK and keeps the PV lobes separated. The GFS reforms low heights to the north.

So a mixed bag of outputs this evening, colder yes but depth of cold could be a lot better.

• Like 3

Well the ECM almost trumps the UKMO but the UkMO has lower heights over the UK at 120-144 & probably slightly lower 850s

At 216 -240 the UK surface temps close to sub 2c days with mainland Uk at -9c 850 in very still air.

very cold over night if theres any snowcover !

image.thumb.jpg.9706819dac5046b96aa9da9e

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Well the ECM almost trumps the UKMO but the UkMO has lower heights over the UK at 120-144 & probably slightly lower 850s

At 216 -240 the UK surface temps close to sub 2c days with mainland Uk at -9c 850 in very still air.

very cold over night if theres any snowcover !

S

It's not as cold at the surface as you'd imagine. Generally 4-5c for most of England and Wales by day on the 2m temps. 

• Like 4

Posted

Over the next 7 days or so I see little in the way of snow in the form of convective snow showers, but there is certainly the potential for frontal snowfall as energy tries to spill in from the west into our cold pool.

If the north sea snow machine is to switch on we really do need some sort of reload with -10 uppers and the wind off the sea.

ECM 240h looks to be headed that way

ECM1-240.thumb.gif.ae779202e02327fcee821

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's not as cold at the surface as you'd imagine. Generally 4-5c for most of England and Wales by day on the 2m temps. 

I find that the ecm generally overstates the T2m on its raw data. 

Howevet, in a sunny situation at the end of February, I expect it could be there or thereabouts, especially as there is no snowccover across england and Wales. 

Posted

Overnight lows punishingly cold at or below -15*C in Highland glens I'd guess, In mid winter I'm sure there would be an ice day for quite a few on alas it is March, ripe for hoar frosts.

I would think maxima would go no higher than 3C for London

image.thumb.gif.88f649a923dc9b6aa74e3eceimage.thumb.png.06f12017f11c2050a77d9fd9

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Possibly but I believe 100% that over a large swathe of the Uk at 216 & 240 you would be close on ice days should the ECM varify...

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

No complaints from me about the Ecm 12z.. the current mild mush across the southern half of the UK this weekend will shortly be sent packing and the week ahead then becomes progressively colder from the north with frosts becoming more widespread and severe in places with crisp sunny days but also the chance of wintry showers, most frequent across exposed northern and eastern counties but the cold air becomes entrenched across most of the UK and there is no sign of mild air returning on this run. I hope we are in for a prolonged cold spell, get the cold air in place and see what happens with variations on the cold theme as the ukmo 12z showed earlier!:):cold-emoji:

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850.png

Rukm1441.gif