Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

West of London is Exploding!

Wonder if it will still have thunder in it when it gets here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Anyone notice that that big pile of rain over Northampton appears to have massive rotation when you look at it on the rain radar. Looks like it's become its own pressure system! Pulling some of the smaller cells around the perimeter into the rotation too.

not suggesting it's super cellular or anything but curious to know it isn't just my eyes playing tricks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Must be the same one I put a piccie of a few pages back

Oops! Yes, I didn't see your first post. :D

Anything happening in the skies your way beka?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Climate_Eyes said:

Oops! Yes, I didn't see your first post. :D

Anything happening in the skies your way beka?

Diddly squat. Not expecting it to tbh it's all beasts for the east :-) A bit like snow ya know!

The only banging I can hear is my neighbours --- and not of that sort either ;-) They are having a barny!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Back home now from chasing that storm. I first met it just near to Ampthill where there was a gorgeous wall cloud with bright flashes of lightning and bolts. I finally managed to stop south of Bedford and film the storm for a good 20-30 minutes as the heaviest rain avoided me but the lightning was immense. I have hours of footage to edit and at one point was holding a camcorder pointing at the storm and also filming the opposite direction with my GoPro. There were bolts firing all around me and bright flashes all around so it is possible I have caught some bolts I didn't even see as I was watching the storm. I don't remember witnessing a storm with such powerful lightning with such frequency.

I then chased the storm into Bedford but then got stuck in rush hour traffic. No problem though as I was still able to film the bright flashes and bolts raining onto the city as I was sitting in my car (using a GoPro dash cam, not holding a camcorder whilst driving). When I eventually got through I chased the storm towards Kettering, then Northampton and eventually left it behind as I headed home up the M1. By the time I got to Kettering it had lost a lot of its power but even then was still more powerful than 75% of the storms I see in this country.

I am so happy I decided to target MK/Bedford, it looks like I got myself in the right place at the right time.

Back in Derby it is bone dry, 22c and stiflingly humid. There are still cells out there and every chance more could fire up as these storms are not giving up for a few hours yet. I don't mind if I see a storm or not, but I wouldn't say no if one was offered. 

• Like 7

Posted

Ridiculous, cells have started building again as they have started heading south rather than north towards me, not even a drop of rain today, i know i wasn't really forecast much, but the way the ppn has avoided me today really has been spectacular.

Posted

Flash of lightening! ...and again!

Edited by gregior

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

Back home now from chasing that storm. I first met it just near to Ampthill where there was a gorgeous wall cloud with bright flashes of lightning and bolts. I finally managed to stop south of Bedford and film the storm for a good 20-30 minutes as the heaviest rain avoided me but the lightning was immense. I have hours of footage to edit and at one point was holding a camcorder pointing at the storm and also filming the opposite direction with my GoPro. There were bolts firing all around me and bright flashes all around so it is possible I have caught some bolts I didn't even see as I was watching the storm. I don't remember witnessing a storm with such powerful lightning with such frequency.

I then chased the storm into Bedford but then got stuck in rush hour traffic. No problem though as I was still able to film the bright flashes and bolts raining onto the city as I was sitting in my car (using a GoPro dash cam, not holding a camcorder whilst driving). When I eventually got through I chased the storm towards Kettering, then Northampton and eventually left it behind as I headed home up the M1. By the time I got to Kettering it had lost a lot of its power but even then was still more powerful than 75% of the storms I see in this country.

I am so happy I decided to target MK/Bedford, it looks like I got myself in the right place at the right time.

Back in Derby it is bone dry, 22c and stiflingly humid. There are still cells out there and every chance more could fire up as these storms are not giving up for a few hours yet. I don't mind if I see a storm or not, but I wouldn't say no if one was offered. 

Wow! can't wait to see your film, sounds fun :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Rain on that line to the west of me is intensifying quite quickly now but still no electrification according to blitz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

W London kicking off,good luck guys.

Posted

Scrap that, Thunder Harefield! Distant though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Following a brief thunderstorm with torrential rain around 6-6.30pm this evening, I'm currently awaiting the cells coming in from Oxfordshire. Looks to be intensifying as it heads down towards Basingstoke.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
3 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Ridiculous, cells have started building again as they have started heading south rather than north towards me, not even a drop of rain today, i know i wasn't really forecast much, but the way the ppn has avoided me today really has been spectacular.

Tomorrow may be a better chance, heat building where you are and rain forecast....hope it is thundery

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

There's one or two cells around Stoke at the moment though nothing electrical as yet.I'm keeping an eye on those.Pouring with rain here as I type this.

Posted

Sounds like the west of me has just kicked off thunder is getting more frequent now 

Posted

Nothing here but watching some nice cc lightning 18 miles north east 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Looks like a squall line developing through London ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can see the Lightning from here from the W London cell(s) - awesome!