Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Nothing of interest in the West Midlands, looks like a band of rain and that is all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes
1 minute ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Martin..

I posted a similar post in the Midlands thread about an hour ago. From the radar it looks as though the storm around Buckinghamshire  is developing a circulation.

Don't ask me what it means though! It could well drift off eastwards towards Lincolnshire, They all seem to do that.

MIA

Yes i think they are just rotating and still moving in an easterly direction. Was blessed earlier to see a storm build slightly north of Worcester. I hope we get loads more this year and a really good night display here as it's been years... Best ones i can remember were in the late 80s

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Just had the loudest thunder clap I have ever heard in South Manchester (and I'm old)

Actually made me jump and I love storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

That cell has just sprung back into life over Manchester

Yes,and it's forming an ark type ppn stretching from Manchester to over you:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

An absolute humdinger has just finished over Heathrow, all departures have been cancelled for the last hour or so.

Probably the fiercest storm I can remember living around here

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

That cell has just sprung back into life over Manchester

It certainly has. The first thunder sounded like a sofa falling downstairs, shortly followed but lightning and almost instantaneous thunder, must have been very low in the cloud. Less than 1 second, so less than 300m away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

While the Heathrow/Thorpe cell has sparked itself out, radar suggests a few fresh developments around the southern periphery...no sparks yet

Posted

Thinking about a trip to Tampa, Florida next year.... hummmm lightning :-) Well for everyone who has had there lightning fix today i salute you all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

After being stuck between cells at home I decided to head out. First went towards the Maidstone storm, but soon decided to head east as new storms developed. Flashes were becoming more and more frequent the further I went on. The rains were torrential! Flooding all over the place - had to turn around 3/4 times down the back lanes. I found a place to stop where I could view the lightning from behind the main cell, though shame it was still raining as I could only get a couple of blurry pics through the window. 

More development, this time further south so I shot off towards New Romney. I was sat in a lay-by for 30 mins watching purple cg's dropping all over the place. One hitting a tree just a couple hundred yards in front of me. I continued to the coast and watch the lightning for a little longer whilst avoiding flooded roads. 

A great little trip, lots of close cg's and shotgun thunder and some extremely heavy rain! :) The Plain bright picture was the lighting that hit just in front of me :p

20160607203439_LC23.jpg

20160607203544_LC12.jpg

20160607212013_LC20.jpg

Edited by <<Ryan>>
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Odd Spot said:

Hammering it down here at the moment, but so far that is probably all we are getting

Difference a few miles makes visited my family in Dronfield and they have had nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Evening all, been a while since I posted. 

Was in SW-London earlier, Twickenham way. Lot's of thunder but didn't seem to rain that much. 

Just witnessed around 20 or so flashes to my south in the Chalfonts, Bucks. Can see from lightningmaps that Slough has just taken a pummelling in lightning strikes. 

Nothing that exciting though!  

Posted
2 minutes ago, <<Ryan>> said:

After being stuck between cells at home I decided to head out. First went towards the Maidstone storm, but soon decided to head east as new storms developed. Flashes were becoming more and more frequent the further I went on. The rains were torrential! Flooding all over the place - had to turn around 3/4 times down the back lanes. I found a place to stop where I could view the lightning from behind the main cell, though shame it was still raining as I could only get a couple of blurry pics through the window. 

More development, this time further south so I shot off towards New Romney. I was sat in a lay-by for 30 mins watching purple cg's dropping all over the place. One hitting a tree just a couple hundred yards in front of me. I continued to the coast and watch the lightning for a little longer whilst avoiding flooded roads. 

A great little trip, lots of close cg's and shotgun thunder and some extremely heavy rain! :) The Plain bright picture was the lighting that hit just in front of me :p

I chased down there for the storms a couple of weeks ago and that was great. Dymchurch/Romney area is fantastic for storm gazing!!

• Like 1

Posted

Bucket loads of rain falling from the 'new' cell to the west of the Heathrow one, but nothing electrical seen yet. The theatre here in Windsor got evacuated mid-performance due to flash flooding. 

Just trawling through my phone to see what (if anything) i managed to capture from tonight. 

Edited by SL4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Basically That trough which the changed to an upper cold front, then did this.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/wmovl/VRL/Tutorials/SatManu-eumetsat/SatManu/CMs/ULL/backgr.htm

Which is why we still have storms about.

Just my view. It fit's with the storms over kent, which are in the right place if I'm right about this.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, <<Ryan>> said:

20160607203439_LC23.jpg

20160607203544_LC12.jpg

20160607212013_LC20.jpg

Fantastic!, just a shame i'm in Worcester or i would of been right along with you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes
1 minute ago, Harry said:

I chased down there for the storms a couple of weeks ago and that was great. Dymchurch/Romney area is fantastic for storm gazing!!

It's great! Lovely flat surroundings with no tall features to block your view in any direction.
I was spoilt for choice in which direction was going to show off the best lightning.

Posted

Blitzortung showing new cell firing NE of Basingstoke/S of Reading

New sferic from Heathrow cell too.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

It's still raining but I think the lightnings done now. Or hasn't been any for a bit anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Thunder and lightning a few miles to the east at this current time. Seems we wont get a direct hit; going east by a few miles. No rain yet.