Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
4 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Back home now from chasing that storm. I first met it just near to Ampthill where there was a gorgeous wall cloud with bright flashes of lightning and bolts. I finally managed to stop south of Bedford and film the storm for a good 20-30 minutes as the heaviest rain avoided me but the lightning was immense. I have hours of footage to edit and at one point was holding a camcorder pointing at the storm and also filming the opposite direction with my GoPro. There were bolts firing all around me and bright flashes all around so it is possible I have caught some bolts I didn't even see as I was watching the storm. I don't remember witnessing a storm with such powerful lightning with such frequency.

I then chased the storm into Bedford but then got stuck in rush hour traffic. No problem though as I was still able to film the bright flashes and bolts raining onto the city as I was sitting in my car (using a GoPro dash cam, not holding a camcorder whilst driving). When I eventually got through I chased the storm towards Kettering, then Northampton and eventually left it behind as I headed home up the M1. By the time I got to Kettering it had lost a lot of its power but even then was still more powerful than 75% of the storms I see in this country.

I am so happy I decided to target MK/Bedford, it looks like I got myself in the right place at the right time.

Back in Derby it is bone dry, 22c and stiflingly humid. There are still cells out there and every chance more could fire up as these storms are not giving up for a few hours yet. I don't mind if I see a storm or not, but I wouldn't say no if one was offered. 

Brilliant! I can say that we bedford folk dont normaly get storms like this, It flash flooded the town in multiple places, have pictures of a pub carpark with a car stuck in the middle with water up to top of the wheels! Was lucky enough to be sitting on my favourite hill overlooking the town and was treated to a good hour or more of lightning! Feeling very warm and muggy inside the house now, summer has begun!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Tomorrow may be a better chance, heat building where you are and rain forecast....hope it is thundery

tomorrow maybe the odd shower floating about i think, just a bit frustrating, oh well there will be other opportunities later in the year, anyone south and east of brum have a shot in the next few hours i would imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Following a brief thunderstorm with torrential rain around 6-6.30pm this evening, I'm currently awaiting the cells coming in from Oxfordshire. Looks to be intensifying as it heads down towards Basingstoke.

EDIT: Can see lightning to the east from the West London cells.

• Like 2

Posted

Lightning seems to be done now in the far SE, rain pretty torrential still though. Seems to have been a fair spread of storms/cells this eve and quick developers too. Hope most got to see something, and once again hats off to the forecasts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Diddly squat. Not expecting it to tbh it's all beasts for the east :-) A bit like snow ya know!

The only banging I can hear is my neighbours --- and not of that sort either ;-) They are having a barny!

Oh I know! :wink:

Mind you the last four frames of the radar are more interesting with a decent eruption heading SE, but probably still too far over for us once the eastern componet has been factored in. I'll watch it for a bit to see what happens, besides i've got a drink to finish.. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Distant thunder pretty constant now but not showing on the Lightning maps so much 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

A real treat for me I missed out today (or so I thought) 

Me too. Plenty of flashes just to the north of me now in the Slough direction. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

A real treat for me I missed out today (or so I thought) 

It's my second at the min. Not much lightning, in either though. As in frequency.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The cells are exploding at quite a rate across W London, being able to make out the bulging dome updraughts in the twilight and the increasing illuminations (in fact one neat dome has become an anvil already while typing). Looks stunning from here.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had three or four flashes off shore, together, it was loud, they must have all been positive, it went Bang, Bang, Bang, rumble, rumble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

The cells are exploding at quite a rate across W London, being able to make out the bulging dome updraughts in the twilight and the increasing illuminations (in fact one neat dome has become an anvil already while typing). Looks stunning from here.

Being under them is truly spectacular :)

• Like 2

Posted

Just happened again, but just two. Thank Goodness they are not over my house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Watching lightning from the hill in Guildford :-)

Nice . Can see the flashing from the window . I'm talking about the storm

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Nice . Can see the flashing from the window . I'm talking about the storm

lol