Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

August already! Actually looking forward to the rain tonight as everywhere looks like it needs a bit of a soaking. 

Getting darker earlier is much more noticeable now. Last few evenings I've found myself flicking on a lamp and looking out the window to see if there are clouds coming over at about 8.30/9pm...but then realising it's simply getting dark. When I was younger, I always went to Reading Festival - and when I came back, the way the sunlight falls is always 'different' as the sun isn't so high and you get this beautiful lazy, golden light. I still notice it now in the closing days of August.

Glad to hear everyone's crops are doing ok. We officially take ownership of our allotment today. As you can see it currently has a nice crop of weeds and filing cabinet parts!! Funny how your interest in the weather intensifies once you have a plot to keep!  

Currently wondering if a concealed weather station on my plot is viable. Has anyone ever made their own weather vane?

IMG_20160724_132420454.jpg

Holy cow, that is some back breaking weeding that is needed there:sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Sun shining though a milky sky here, still quite warm but fresher than it has been, apart from in side.

Posted
9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Sun shining though a milky sky here, still quite warm but fresher than it has been, apart from in side.

My house just won't cool down either:angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Holy cow, that is some back breaking weeding that is needed there:sorry:

Doesn't look too bad to me and you've got all winter to get it ready for spring sowing/planting :)

Have fun, do a bit at a time to keep your back happy!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, interested & confused said:

Doesn't look too bad to me and you've got all winter to get it ready for spring sowing/planting :)

Have fun, do a bit at a time to keep your back happy!

i have a bad back:sorry::vava: so it looks a nightmare to be.:help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

August already! Actually looking forward to the rain tonight as everywhere looks like it needs a bit of a soaking. 

Getting darker earlier is much more noticeable now. Last few evenings I've found myself flicking on a lamp and looking out the window to see if there are clouds coming over at about 8.30/9pm...but then realising it's simply getting dark. When I was younger, I always went to Reading Festival - and when I came back, the way the sunlight falls is always 'different' as the sun isn't so high and you get this beautiful lazy, golden light. I still notice it now in the closing days of August.

Glad to hear everyone's crops are doing ok. We officially take ownership of our allotment today. As you can see it currently has a nice crop of weeds and filing cabinet parts!! Funny how your interest in the weather intensifies once you have a plot to keep!  

Currently wondering if a concealed weather station on my plot is viable. Has anyone ever made their own weather vane?

IMG_20160724_132420454.jpg

All the best with your new plot! It's bloody hard work for the first few months (actually, the hard work never stops lol) but such an enjoyable hobby. Just watch your back; everyone seems to overdo it! Some useful rain on the way hopefully, that'll make the ground easier to dig, impossible otherwise. The last few weeks has been a focus on watering which takes up too much time on my plots to do much else. Though I'm hoping for some hot sun too this month, of course. If you're quick and get a patch of soil turned over and cleared, you can get some Spring cabbages, kale and purple sprouting broccoli in :)

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

All the best with your new plot! It's bloody hard work for the first few months (actually, the hard work never stops lol) but such an enjoyable hobby. Just watch your back; everyone seems to overdo it! Some useful rain on the way hopefully, that'll make the ground easier to dig, impossible otherwise. The last few weeks has been a focus on watering which takes up too much time on my plots to do much else. Though I'm hoping for some hot sun too this month, of course. If you're quick and get a patch of soil turned over and cleared, you can get some Spring cabbages, kale and purple sprouting broccoli in :)

Any melons this year stainesbloke?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Any melons this year stainesbloke?

Was going to ask you the same question lassie! Some tiny ones forming last time I looked but not been able to visit the plot for a week so don't know for sure. How's your melons? Did they survive soaking chilly June? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Was going to ask you the same question lassie! Some tiny ones forming last time I looked but not been able to visit the plot for a week so don't know for sure. How's your melons? Did they survive soaking chilly June? 

lol, pea sized at the moment, Ive got cucumbers growing well and the carrots are ready. All the melons need now are two months of sun:good:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol, pea sized at the moment, Ive got cucumbers growing well and the carrots are ready. All the melons need now are two months of sun:good:

Sounds good, at least some stuff doing ok. Don't worry, come September high pressure will magically appear for 2 months :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds good, at least some stuff doing ok. Don't worry, come September high pressure will magically appear for 2 months :)

and vanish for the entire winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

have been having a word in hubs shell like, and it looks like a bit of our garden will be made available for growing, so bubs can help. Won't be this year, so many excuses makes me wonder if he doesn't want me to sort the garden as well as the house.:nonono:

All the early sun went, although it popped out a bit on and off a while back. Went to milky, but rainy looking with some convection, no rain here yet. Went out with bubs for a bit, just about mild enough not to need a cardie but lovely all the same.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Very overcast at the moment, but the band of rain is edging ever closer and will be here in the next couple of hours, I'd say. Radar shows it as around Central London area

Current temperature is 20C

Edited by Jcweather

Posted
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Still have sun shining through a milky sky here.

Rain heading your way, just started here, not very heavy though.

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Very front of the band of rain just reaching Basildon. I reckon it will be raining here within the hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Rain head your way, just started here, not very heavy though.

Yep the cloud is now thick enough to stop the sun shining through it, probably be raining within the hour.

lol posted similar at the same time JC

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep the cloud is now thick enough to stop the sun shining through it, probably be raining within the hour.

lol posted similar at the same time JC

Very dry rain at the moment though:cc_confused:

Posted
20 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Very dry rain at the moment though:cc_confused:

Yes, it is here too

Posted
Just now, Jcweather said:

Yes, it is here too

You can actually walk out in it and not get wet:crazy:

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Rain head your way, just started here, not very heavy though.

Piddled down here, about 30 mins ago - just about got to the washing in time

Posted
9 minutes ago, interested & confused said:

Piddled down here, about 30 mins ago - just about got to the washing in time

Very stop and start, nice and fresh out though.

Posted
18 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Very stop and start, nice and fresh out though.

Looks like some heavier stuff moving in for tonight. Allotment and garden could do with a good soaking, as long as it doesn't hang around for days on end.

Posted
47 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks like some heavier stuff moving in for tonight. Allotment and garden could do with a good soaking, as long as it doesn't hang around for days on end.

I hope so, then I might be able to finally dib my leeks in! Ooh that sounds naughty, but YNWIM :)

• Like 1