Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very cool night! Hopefully everyone found that better for sleeping. Not a bad day here but clouded over quite a bit and feeling fresh. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Is the heat next week still on? Still enough of summer left to fit in a heat wave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Is the heat next week still on? Still enough of summer left to fit in a heat wave.

Getting downgraded by the minute, sadly. No surprises there lol. Will my butternut squash ripen this year? How's your melons lassie? Any signs of swelling....?

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Getting downgraded by the minute, sadly. No surprises there lol. Will my butternut squash ripen this year? How's your melons lassie? Any signs of swelling....?

lol unfortunately they shriveled up and fell off

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Toped out at 20.5 here, now down to 16.9, cloud building from somewhere. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol unfortunately they shriveled up and fell off

Mine too. Sorry to hear that lol. Wonder why? The ones in my greenhouse should have done ok.

• Like 1

Posted

they reached the size of peas and then went yellow:cc_confused: The corn is doing well, got for large cobs from two plants growing:good:

Posted
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

they reached the size of peas and then went yellow:cc_confused: The corn is doing well, got for large cobs from two plants growing:good:

Might be lack of fertilisation? Or the cold June! Glad your corn doing well, mine too, can't wait. Bit of heat and sun needed :D

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Might be lack of fertilisation? Or the cold June! Glad your corn doing well, mine too, can't wait. Bit of heat and sun needed :D

Need three months of 30c plus temps to grow a watermelon out of a greenhouse. Surprised your ones in the greenhouse didn't grow

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Need three months of 30c plus temps to grow a watermelon out of a greenhouse. Surprised your ones in the greenhouse didn't grow

They have grown as in the vines but no fruit! Won't bother again, too much work. My tomatoes and peppers though....! No idea where to store them. Did you try growing watermelons? I tried cantaloupes.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Afternoon,

Bit fresh this morning walking the dogs, quiet at work today so thought Id post, praying it warms up properly next week. At least the weekend is looking decent and there's no rain in the forecast. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

They have grown as in the vines but no fruit! Won't bother again, too much work. My tomatoes and peppers though....! No idea where to store them. Did you try growing watermelons? I tried cantaloupes.

It was watermelons, the cantaloupes didn't even grow.:cc_confused:

2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Afternoon,

Bit fresh this morning walking the dogs, quiet at work today so thought Id post, praying it warms up properly next week. At least the weekend is looking decent and there's no rain in the forecast. 

Need some rain for the garden:laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I remember when I last grew tomatoes...I'd water them, feed them, nip off the surplus shoots, blah, blah, blah. But still they never seemed to mature. Until I discovered that my wee daughter was dutifully removing them, on the grounds that red tomatoes are poisonous!

I'm still not convinced that kids and gardening go well together...:wallbash:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted

Hehe that made me chuckle! Bless her. 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

he plums on my tree turned yellow which might be there colour for real then fell off when the were only prune sized.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Not looking forward to the 30c highs. I am still at a loss why people what to be hot and sweaty then moody because it was too warm to sleep, but hey ho. At least when it's 23c-25c it's comfortable to do things outside which is what summer is all about.

For bubs summer rainbow tasks we had to grow something and we got a 'kitchen herb garden' now sitting on the windowsill, already got growth and only been a few days. 

been cloudy today but the suns now out. Fancy something nice for tea with rice. 

Edited by Dami

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dami said:

Not looking forward to the 30c highs. I am still at a loss why people what to be hot and sweaty then moody because it was too warm to sleep, but hey ho. At least when it's 23c-25c it's comfortable to do things outside which is what summer is all about.

For bubs summer rainbow tasks we had to grow something and we got a 'kitchen herb garden' now sitting on the windowsill, already got growth and only been a few days. 

been cloudy today but the suns now out. Fancy someone nice for tea with rice. 

The queen is supposed to be nice, must like rice too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

hahah got a one tracked mind today:oops:I did change it. It's the weather you know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
25 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

It was watermelons, the cantaloupes didn't even grow.:cc_confused:

Need some rain for the garden:laugh:

Of course @lassie23 

I keep forgetting that the soaking wet 8 months of the year just simply isn't enough and we must all wish for rain in a soaking wet country in the height of summer :rofl:

I love 30 plus degrees weather and I work outside.. And I'm a big bloke. Personally for me it's a rare thing to happen in the UK so I lap it up and enjoy it, also got a pool in the garden which helps 

My watermelons are doing okay, you just gotta know the knack ;)

Tomatoes are on a mad one already taken tomatoes off and eaten in salad 

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I love 30 plus degrees weather and I work outside.. And I'm a big bloke. Personally for me it's a rare thing to happen in the UK so I lap it up and enjoy it, also got a pool in the garden which helps 

You have melons:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Yep took the first one off mine yesterday.

19 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

You have melons:shok:

Just coming out now :) they are doing well just not trying to over water. My corn is around 4 foot now which is behind where it should be but I did risk it because I wanted the wasps to nest better near the veg patch to kill any pests.

On to my tomatoes. This year I did something different with mum. 

1) not in the greenhouse.

2) staggered planting and germination (longer crop harvest) 

3) growing method with cutting leafs rather than heads.

Results so far are very good pulled 3-4 good hand fulls of and soon more to come. Very broad mix of sizes and skin thickness even though they are all the same type

First out:

DSC_0003.JPG

First out:

DSC_0004.JPG

Second out:

DSC_0005.JPG

Third out:

DSC_0006.JPG

PumpKins:  type: Atlantic giant 

Nothing different done, 5 plants in soil with chicken manure mixed in

Results so far, just check this out:

So the bigger the older they are ranging from around 10-1 week, these are all different pumpkins.

1 week old 

DSC_0011.JPG

2 weeks old

DSC_0010.JPG

6 weeks old:

DSC_0007.JPG

10 weeks old, aka the monster 

DSC_0008.JPG

Also have root ginger on the go amongst all the other veg and fruit!

DSC_0012.JPG

And one of the giant Mongolia sun flower! Next to my girlfriend for a rough size guide, she is 5"4 

FB_IMG_1470762373018.jpg

I'll take another when they flower, they are just coming out now and about another foot taller, this photo was taken last week. You can see the runner beans in the background! 

Anyone needs help with plants or needs advice feel free to pm me :) I'll do my best to help! My experience was taught to me by my nan, grandad, mum and some self taught. Gardening is my only other hobby alongside weather. I know, I'm a odd 22 year old!

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Just coming out now :) they are doing well just not trying to over water. My corn is around 4 foot now which is behind where it should be but I did risk it because I wanted the wasps to nest better near the veg patch to kill any pests.

On to my tomatoes. This year I did something different with mum. 

1) not in the greenhouse.

2) staggered planting and germination (longer crop harvest) 

3) growing method with cutting leafs rather than heads.

Results so far are very good pulled 3-4 good hand fulls of and soon more to come. Very broad mix of sizes and skin thickness even though they are all the same type

First out:

DSC_0003.JPG

First out:

DSC_0004.JPG

Second out:

DSC_0005.JPG

Third out:

DSC_0006.JPG

PumpKins:  type: Atlantic giant 

Nothing different done, 5 plants in soil with chicken manure mixed in

Results so far, just check this out:

So the bigger the older they are ranging from around 10-1 week, these are all different pumpkins.

1 week old 

DSC_0011.JPG

2 weeks old

DSC_0010.JPG

6 weeks old:

DSC_0007.JPG

10 weeks old, aka the monster 

DSC_0008.JPG

Also have root ginger on the go amongst all the other veg and fruit!

DSC_0012.JPG

And one of the giant Mongolia sun flower! Next to my girlfriend for a rough size guide, she is 5"4 

FB_IMG_1470762373018.jpg

I'll take another when they flower, they are just coming out now and about another foot taller, this photo was taken last week. You can see the runner beans in the background! 

Anyone needs help with plants or needs advice feel free to pm me :) I'll do my best to help! My experience was taught to me by my nan, grandad, mum and some self taught. Gardening is my only other hobby alongside weather. I know, I'm a odd 22 year old!

i'm more impressed that you have grown a girlfriend in your garden! :good:

• Like 2