Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

apart from a few brief light showers it hasn't been too bad here. Increasing amounts of sunshine as the afternoon has progressed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Interestingly breezy day for August, :nonono:

Posted

Weather forced us off out hilltop allotment as the wind and rain made doing gardening annoying! So we went to various garden centres and every one had pots blown over - especially fruit trees and other leafy things.. Not all bad though, ended up having a nice cuppa and listening to Lloyd Cole singing live (at Rewind Fest over the river!) . Thankfully tomorrow is looking better. Amazing how fast the evening goes now - we've put in two hours at the allotment each evening this last week - at 6.20pm it's sunny and hot, by 8.20 - darkness stops work! I love autumn but the shortening days are a shock to the system.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Some lively gusts this afternoon, but overall it hasn't been too bad a day. Temp maxed at 21.1C, rain was a rather pathetic 0.2mm and max gust was 61 km/h (38 mph). No records broken here! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well despite some near gale force gusts the temperatures actually made to near normal values, a high of 22C. The only way is up from here with the low thirties certainly possible by the middle of the week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Showers finally started here about 10:00pm, some quite heavy. Highest gust of the day 54 mph. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Showers finally started here about 10:00pm, some quite heavy. Highest gust of the day 54 mph. 

Calmed down here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Calmed down here

Wasn't so bad here in the end, had a couple of hours of unpleasantness and showers but could have been worse. Took a pic of my melon for you lassie. Won't let me attach it to my post though. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Wasn't so bad here in the end, had a couple of hours of unpleasantness and showers but could have been worse. Took a pic of my melon for you lassie. Won't let me attach it to my post though. 

Lol thanks. I think you go to choose files and it should attach itself to the post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Lol thanks. I think you go to choose files and it should attach itself to the post.

There you go lol...it's about twice the size of a tennis ball. 

image.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

image.jpeg

:shok: mine have never made it that far, that will be ready by the end of September:D

• Like 1

Posted

So the Met Office forecast for us today says 'feeling warm in the sunshine with light winds'....??! Maybe for later on today then lol? Howling wind and cloud here.

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

:shok: mine have never made it that far, that will be ready by the end of September:D

Hope so! Tomatoes are dying off in the greenhouse already so I'll cut them down this week and move the pepper plants in there to speed up ripening. How do you know when to pick the melon?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Hope so! Tomatoes are dying off in the greenhouse already so I'll cut them down this week and move the pepper plants in there to speed up ripening. How do you know when to pick the melon?

Good question,  I think you watch for the skin to lighten, same with the stem and a ripe melon detaches from the stem easily too.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Good question,  I think you watch for the skin to lighten, same with the stem and a ripe melon detaches from the stem easily too.

Thanks. If yours don't ripen I'm happy to share mine with you lol

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Thanks. If yours don't ripen I'm happy to share mine with you lol

Iol, did you buy the seeds, or get them from a melon you ate

Edited by lassie23

Posted
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Iol, did you buy the seeds, or get them from a melon you ate

Seed. Variety is either 'Ogen' or 'Charentais' I think (you probably can tell!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been a nice day so far today, less wind feeling warm, a bit cloudy, but with plenty of nice sunny spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from a short wee shower just before lunchtime yesterday, it's been another good weekend...Good sunny spells and already up to 21C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Lovely day here. Plenty of sunshine after the early cloud cleared, and despite it still rather windy (max gust 48 km/h or 30mph in old money) the temp got up to 22.8C.

The coming week is looking very hot for our Region, with temps forecast to peak on Weds with 31C widespread and no doubt higher for favoured spots. 8)

Wed 17.00 Arpege Temp Wed24Aug 17.00.png

Weds night doesn't look good for sleeping with overnight temps not falling below 21C for many places. Just look at these temps for 03.00 overnight into Thurs! Temps haven't dropped below 23C for some areas in the Southern Counties! :blink2:

Thurs 03.00 Arpege Temp Thur25Aug 03.00.png

Posted

So this week, well the second half still looks complex but lets try and get a fair idea of how things will pan out.

Monday

ECM1-24.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

A gentle westerly wind.

It looks like rain will clear the region by dawn, this will leave a cloudy morning before this breaks up to leave sunny spells during the afternoon.

Temperatures - 22-26C, this is dependent on sunshine amounts.

Tuesday

ECM1-48.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

A light south to south easterly wind.

Looks like a fine and sunny day, there should be little or no cloud at all.

Temperatures - 27-30C

Wednesday

ECM1-72.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

Light and variable winds.

The region sits under a slack col situation with a very shallow heat low developing, this could trigger a couple of isolated shower during the afternoon, otherwise it should be a fine day with sunny spells.

Temperatures - 29-32C, though this disagrees with the more conservative forecasts from the BBC (generally 26-28C).

Thursday

ECM1-96.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

A light east/south easterly wind.

A front will cross eastwards during the afternoon, though timing is uncertain. There is the risk of some very heavy and thundery downpours developing along this frontal band, there will be some sunny spells and it will be pretty oppressive.

Temperatures - 26-32C, a wide range based on model uncertainty and hence how long the heat will hang on.

Friday (Large uncertainty here with some big disagreements at the moment)

ECM1-120.GIF?21-0   

Winds will likely be from between the south and west, a cooler day though it will still likely be fairly warm. Early rain should clear to sunny spells and maybe an isolated shower. Temperatures around 22-25C.

It is best to leave this for now, things will change regarding Friday and next weekend.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

So this week, well the second half still looks complex but lets try and get a fair idea of how things will pan out.

Monday

ECM1-24.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

A gentle westerly wind.

It looks like rain will clear the region by dawn, this will leave a cloudy morning before this breaks up to leave sunny spells during the afternoon.

Temperatures - 22-26C, this is dependent on sunshine amounts.

Tuesday

ECM1-48.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

A light south to south easterly wind.

Looks like a fine and sunny day, there should be little or no cloud at all.

Temperatures - 27-30C

Wednesday

ECM1-72.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

Light and variable winds.

The region sits under a slack col situation with a very shallow heat low developing, this could trigger a couple of isolated shower during the afternoon, otherwise it should be a fine day with sunny spells.

Temperatures - 29-32C, though this disagrees with the more conservative forecasts from the BBC (generally 26-28C).

Thursday

ECM1-96.GIF?21-0   viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160821;t

A light east/south easterly wind.

A front will cross eastwards during the afternoon, though timing is uncertain. There is the risk of some very heavy and thundery downpours developing along this frontal band, there will be some sunny spells and it will be pretty oppressive.

Temperatures - 26-32C, a wide range based on model uncertainty and hence how long the heat will hang on.

Friday (Large uncertainty here with some big disagreements at the moment)

ECM1-120.GIF?21-0   

Winds will likely be from between the south and west, a cooler day though it will still likely be fairly warm. Early rain should clear to sunny spells and maybe an isolated shower. Temperatures around 22-25C.

It is best to leave this for now, things will change regarding Friday and next weekend.

Great post as usual. Some very nice late Summer sun and heat to look forward to, possibly a storm or two. Fingers crossed for a decent BH weekend, ECM looks rubbish! Glad I have a week off work.

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Great post as usual. Some very nice late Summer sun and heat to look forward to, possibly a storm or two. Fingers crossed for a decent BH weekend, ECM looks rubbish! Glad I have a week off work.

Looks like you made the right choice, alas I have the week after next off when summer will probably get replaced by full blown autumn mode :rofl:

Anyway, I wouldn't rule out 30C being reached over the bank holiday weekend at the moment, there is a chance of a reload of heat albeit brief.

Back to now, it is really hammering it down out there at the moment, I wasn't expecting the rain to arrive this early, perhaps that is a good sign for tomorrow.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

All in all this weekend wasn't too bad considering the forecast. Quite windy at times but managed to miss most of the rain here at times when it mattered most.  Happy with that.

• Like 2