Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Just to clarify MWB I wasn't pointing the finger specifically at you although of course you are a paid up member of the cold coven.

Not at this time of year Knocks, I prefer to eak out as much warmth as possible and besides a cold October will be devastating for my CET challenge! I was quite encouraged to see the GFS 06Z go for the back-door SEly in its latter stages but I'm not clinging to that olive branch particularly firmly, and studying the uppers shows how hard it is to get rid of cold air once it arrives, at this time of the year:

gfs-0-300.png?6  gfs-1-300.png?6

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 hours ago, DR(S)NO said:

Oh, was just going a wee bit crazy there at the very thought of the s-word.. Sorry  

Hopefully it won't end up being the other s-word that ends with t..which applied to all of last winter!:closedeyes::shok:

I must say the models are looking more interesting with talk of rather cold temps by day and night for the next few weeks.:D:cold-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Hopefully it won't end up being the other s-word that ends with t..which applied to all of last winter!:closedeyes::shok:

I must say the models are looking more interesting with talk of rather cold temps by day and night for the next few weeks.:D:cold-emoji:

You know what Frosty... At least it feels seasonal at the moment.... Something we really don't see often enough!!

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

True, and it will be nice to hear the words becoming colder from the east, hopefully that will apply to the upcoming winter. It's also interesting that some on here have been saying this blocked pattern would last through next week because only yesterday the met office were calling for an unsettled Atlantic breakdown from early next week and today they have backtracked with the increasingly chilly easterly pattern set to continue..:cold:

Perhaps due to the possible effect of the latest hurricane? Also the 500mb anomaly charts, usually fairly good accuracy in both 6-10 and to a lesser extent using just NOAA in the 8-14 day periods are less than definite over the past week. Variations in positions of upper ridges and troughs which may be hurricane influenced. Not until we see no storms getting into the North Atlantic in the 6-15 day period can we rely on any model output from whatever source in my view. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I've also stopped looking for warmth now - it was great while it lasted, and those late September days over 30c were a joy.....but not it's time to look to the north and east (and not the south and west) for the winter we all deserve! :D Very interesting weather patterns now for sure.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Eyes down - OK it's a start.

uksnowrisk.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
44 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I've also stopped looking for warmth now - it was great while it lasted, and those late September days over 30c were a joy.....but not it's time to look to the north and east (and not the south and west) for the winter we all deserve! :D Very interesting weather patterns now for sure.

I'm still looking for warmth, may as well have  the Atlantic back, 'cause from Friday my location looking rather unsettled, 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'm still looking for warmth,

Good luck with that so :D;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looking slightly unsettled in the east with that upper trough digging closer for the start of next week - and chilly too. Won't be loads in the way of rainfall, just a lot of cloud, a keen breeze and some patchy ppn.

Posted

The evolution of the GEFs anomalies in the ten day time frame is not unfamiliar. In the latter period it gradually declines the Scandinavian HP but at the same time promotes NE ridging mid Atlantic north of the UK. Simultaneously it also promotes the upper low to the south east of the UK to become more adjacent and extending into a larger area of LP orientated W-E  This would portend some quite unsettled cool  weather drifting in from the east. But just to reiterate none of this is a done deal.

gefs_z500a_nh_41.pnggefs_t2ma_5d_eur_41.png

Posted

The GEM 12z shows the increasingly chilly blocked pattern locking in and lasting until beyond T+240 hours with temps falling below average with Ely / NEly winds which will make a nice change from the recent heat and very high humidity..this run certainly whets my appetite for winter, I feel cautiously optimistic this time around!:cold-emoji::D

Rgem961.gif

Rgem1202.gif

Rgem1442.gif

Rgem1682.gif

Rgem1922.gif

Rgem1921.gif

Rgem2162.gif

Rgem2402.gif

Rgem2401.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The GEM 12z shows the increasingly chilly blocked pattern locking in and lasting until beyond T+240 hours with temps falling below average with Ely / NEly winds which will make a nice change from the recent heat and very high humidity..this run certainly whets my appetite for winter, I feel cautiously optimistic this time around!:cold-emoji::D

Rgem961.gif

Rgem1202.gif

Rgem1442.gif

Rgem1682.gif

Rgem1922.gif

Rgem1921.gif

Rgem2162.gif

Rgem2402.gif

Rgem2401.gif

Thanks for getting my hopes up! ....still way to far out yet though,time will tell:)

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Is the ECM broken?

I've often wondered that:D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM is broken, much of central/eastern Europe in the freezer. :snowman-emoji:

ECH1-192.GIF?04-0ECH0-192.GIF?04-0

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Got to be a good sign!

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mucka said:

I see why the ECM is late tonight - the latter stages could be x-rated!! 850s under minus 8 into eastern Europe - alignment at T192 would send the beast from the east in our direction!

Stalled low in the Atlantic throws up enough of a southerly in the end but my that was close!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Got to be a good sign!

Yeah interesting times but very different Northern blocking to 00z with split vortex.

ECH1-216.GIF?04-0

Of course as much as the snow line will look impressive marching West across Europe at this time of year it can disappear just as dramatically with a return to a Westerly zonal flow.

Something like this could be quite prolonged though I imagine.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Another 4 to 6 weeks this place would be in meltdown with charts like this

ECM1-216.GIF?04-0ECM1-240.GIF?04-0

ECM0-216.GIF?04-0ECM0-240.GIF?04-0

But as its early October temps would be a bit below average with cloud rolling in off the north sea

• Like 2