Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

There  is good chance of a snow event Tuesday evening for parts of the north  mainly  On the hills but some getting down to low levels in the north at times as a front moves in from the west this rain band looks to stall on the eastern side of country and never makes it in Eastern Europe the cold block is not going nowhere to north east Europe..

IMG_0075.PNG

IMG_0076.PNG

IMG_0077.PNG

IMG_0078.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The medium term is taking shape over the last few days (GFS) with the omnipresent Azore/Atlantic High, the Russian/Siberiian High, and a mobile westerly pattern (with the demise of the block/ridge over the US).

The good, no sign yet of the PV getting organised.

The bad is that the UK is down the line for the Atlantic depressions and with the block to the east, these are slow moving at times. The GFS in FI maybe showing its usual Atlantic bias, so probably more time between each depression passing.

There follows that the block over Russia will lead to a trough to its west and the UK will, be a stop on the route.

The D8 mean summing up the GEFS consensus now, something the GFS picked up a couple of days ago, but wavered a bit since: gens-21-1-192.png

GEM also now in the same ball park, but with the jet a bit further north and less of a  NW/SE axis.

So a period of average temps as cyclones pass, drawing air from different sources as they trundle through the UK (interspersed cool and mild). Lots of showers and some bands of organised rain more than likely.

Basically normal November fare. Hopefully the promise from the strat will in the intervening period keep any long term quasi-zonal pattern from establishing, which will take us nicely into December with more hope than I usually have for that month.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, phil nw. said:

Just to illustrate the uncertainty past day 4-the London temp. graph

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

showing a lot of colder members and the Op runs on the warmer side.Maybe the Operational runs are leading the way-but some could say the ens. leave room for further trough disruption holding up any real Atlantic incursion.UK model at day 6 showing this further west across the UK than the others.

You are right enough, phil...But (where's the Edvard Munch's Scream smiley when you want it?:shok:) there are also quite a few warmer members?:sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
6 minutes ago, Nouska said:

This was the UKMO 168 hour chart from today's 00Z run.

ukm2.2016111300.168.lant.troplant.prp.fc

They don't always update if there are no tropical systems but no harm in checking after about 8pm to see if the 12Z run has been added.

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/

Great link, the GFS as clear difference's at D7 

gfs2.2016111300.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

• Like 2

Posted

one comment - the gfs is still "making it's mind up" bucks fizz style - about the atlantic front - moved back again and temps are just that little bit lower too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

The medium term is taking shape over the last few days (GFS) with the omnipresent Azore/Atlantic High, the Russian/Siberiian High, and a mobile westerly pattern (with the demise of the block/ridge over the US).

The good, no sign yet of the PV getting organised.

The bad is that the UK is down the line for the Atlantic depressions and with the block to the east, these are slow moving at times. The GFS in FI maybe showing its usual Atlantic bias, so probably more time between each depression passing.

There follows that the block over Russia will lead to a trough to its west and the UK will, be a stop on the route.

The D8 mean summing up the GEFS consensus now, something the GFS picked up a couple of days ago, but wavered a bit since: gens-21-1-192.png

GEM also now in the same ball park, but with the jet a bit further north and less of a  NW/SE axis.

So a period of average temps as cyclones pass, drawing air from different sources as they trundle through the UK (interspersed cool and mild). Lots of showers and some bands of organised rain more than likely.

Basically normal November fare. Hopefully the promise from the strat will in the intervening period keep any long term quasi-zonal pattern from establishing, which will take us nicely into December with more hope than I usually have for that month.

Aye, more than a whiff of 2009 about upcoming synoptics...namely Atlantic depressions meeting a block to our east and thus becoming slower moving around UK shores. 

Can only hope it starts to mirror 2009 when it really matters i.e into December!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 12z looks chilly throughout the working week, even after we lose the colder uppers (T850's) there is then a blink or miss it milder interlude on Friday night which is swept away southeastwards on saturday, then it's back to chilly air. High pressure then starts to build eastwards into the uk early week 2.

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

ECM continues the trend from yesterday's gfs of atlantic driven weather taking over later in the week (atlantic as in westerly winds - not roaring jet)

At 168hrs it's business as usual though of course the background signals remain mostly good for later in the month.

The one thing I hate to see more than any roaring jet is a large azores high. It's been our bogey for many of the last few years - though I accept maybe it's other factors at play in its development 

Edited by January Snowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

144 comparisons suggest GFS 12z out on a limb if not much else.

JN144-21.GIF?06-12UN144-21.GIFECH1-144.GIFgfsnh-0-144.png

JMA first to sniff out possible incoming Easterly?

JN192-21.GIF?06-12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Ecm 12z looks chilly throughout the working week, even after we lose the colder uppers (T850's)

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

Granted it is for the East but for the West esp Ireland it's almost baking

Posted
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

Granted it is for the East but for the West esp Ireland it's almost baking

Hardly baking, and its soon turning cooler again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

big change again on ecm be it in lala land.pv locks in on greenland and large swathe of high pressure threw europe.fi would be?????

Posted

The Ecm 12z ends with the south of the uk in a kind of limbo, more unsettled further n / nw.

In summary, the week ahead is rather chilly, especially in the east up to midweek and after a largely sunny day tomorrow apart from showers on eastern / western coasts, tuesday could be mainly dry and bright but becoming cloudy across the west heralding rain spreading east midweek with sleet / wet snow on northern hills and then thurs / fri look cool and showery before a band of rain pushes east with slightly milder temps followed by a cooler showery weekend before pressure rises from the west with more settled conditions developing for a time but then the northwest of the uk becomes windier and more unsettled..phew, a lot going on then!:D

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
18 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Ecm 12z ends with the south of the uk in a kind of limbo, more unsettled further n / nw

240_mslp500.png

I said this last night and looking at that chart it still applies

I can't help but think that or the time being we may have to suck it up and put up with an abundance of more mid latitude type blocking with the Azores high loitering with intent close to our W/SW in preparation for a more favourable upstream pattern. What I'm seeing in the output at the moment is attempted ridging N in the Atlantic before a flattening of the pattern once again.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

At the minute, some longer range models are still wanting to go with a cold and snowy end to the month. It's a very very hard topic to talk about because it's so very close to happening and I can see a lot of disappointment occurring if it ends up mild/not cold.

There are plenty of factors whilst looking at the end of this month. The Pv being one. Stratospheric warming and the possibility of the models getting very confused. Not one model seems to be agreeing after about 144hrs.

Personally I can't see a 2010 repeat this winter, unfortunately, however I can see more periods of snow and cold temperatures through the winter, especially early on, December/ early January. 

As it stands the NAO is expected to return to negative after mid month, and with a weak PV and the warming taking place, I see a good chance of a cold end to the month.

Edited by Connor Bailey Degnan
  • Like 9

Posted

The thing that strikes me most about the GEFS 12z mean is how it's never terribly mild or cold, it's different shades of grey in between and another feature is how unsettled it becomes in the mid range after some initial ebb and flow of the Az high and lower heights to the nw / n but then by mid month as the Azores high retreats, our weather becomes more trough dominated.  

21_96_500mb.png

21_120_500mb.png

21_120_850tmp.png

21_144_850tmp.png

21_168_850tmp.png

21_216_850tmp.png

21_240_850tmp.png

21_288_850tmp.png

21_360_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Good Evening All! What stands out this evening as there wont be any sicklymild southwesterlies  !!!:yahoo: The gfs is again over progressive but even this model is struggling with a block to the east!  The Ecm however shows a more substantial block to our east at T+192,  Its a very blocked pattern and models will continue to struggle with this scenario. One thing is certain , the Uks weather has gone from Summer warmth to Winter cold in just a few days:rofl:

post-3392-0-79407300-1392580413_thumb.jpg

tumblr_nfjlxiKuGS1t1nar6o1_500.gif

mindblown6.gif

stand off.png

stand offx.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

^^^ Hi

It is in my opinion the same old same old from ECM. If you look at the T216 chart you will see it has blown up the HP in Russia to 1045hPa. This pumping up HP cells happened as early as D6 and clearly that will have an effect on the surrounding pattern. Compared to the mean at the same time the HP is 1030hPa and that is why the mean is similar to the GFS mean:

ECH1-216 (1).gifEDH1-216.gif

Something to watch for as that is likely outside the standard deviation, so probably low confidence (with weather you can never say never). I do not know what the issue is with these blown up HP cells after D7 on the ECM op but it does make it hard to take it seriously in blocked scenarios. That is why the PV over to the NW cannot be taken as given as that sort of bunching is a factor of that erroneous (assumption) core Russian HP cell;the mean backs that up.So more runs needed from the ECM op as it remains seriously out off kilter with its mean.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The 'big picture' problem to resolve does look to be the polar vortex trying to move to a location where blocking highs are happily entrenched.

There could be a standoff if the vortex spawns a particularly deep storm or two (illustrated by the 12z ECM), but in theory it'll only take a lull in activity and the vortex will be interfered with sufficiently to trigger a vacation to the mid-latitudes. What's currently far from clear is when exactly that lull in activity will be.

This weekend, it's been a struggle to produce a coherent outlook beyond Thursday - I've been left completely exhausted! Yet I still couldn't resist casting my eye over the ECM run :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

The 'big picture' problem to resolve does look to be the polar vortex trying to move to a location where blocking highs are happily entrenched.

There could be a standoff if the vortex spawns a particularly deep storm or two (illustrated by the 12z ECM), but in theory it'll only take a lull in activity and the vortex will be interfered with sufficiently to trigger a vacation to the mid-latitudes. What's currently far from clear is when exactly that lull in activity will be.

This weekend, it's been a struggle to produce a coherent outlook beyond Thursday - I've been left completely exhausted! Yet I still couldn't resist casting my eye over the ECM run :rolleyes:

Agreed, it's pretty difficult to put anything on what will happen past Thursday this week, the models are all over the place, chopping and changing with every run! The only thing that looks certain right now, is that a return to zonal dross is extremely unlikely, by that I mean a strong jet throwing low after low at the uk and Western Europe. I am exhausted already and it's only November 6th :vava:

certainly not boring though, unlike the past couple of novembers! 

• Like 5

Posted

Got my eye on Tues now- Beeb going for a few hours of heavy snow up here, just up the road is Grains bar which is over 300m asl so might get first dusting of the season,just watching 18z....:)

Obviously going to be marginal, GFS going for temps around 1 degree at midnight !!

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

This looks interesting I do feel this winter is going  to be very very interesting. :cold::D

IMG_0079.PNG

IMG_0080.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

18z looks like an upgrade at the 190h mark.possibly the longest northerly ever running into scan also:rofl::rofl:

• Like 2