Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
19 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

River in glossop highest its ever been recorded according to environment agency severe flooding feel so sorry for people and their properties and businesses.... devastating....all i can hear in town are sirens....

Yes Will, Not looking good at all.

up to 28mm now.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

31.6 mm since 0900 makes today the second wettest day this year, behind March 27th which recorded 46.5 mm.  36.2 mm has fallen since midnight.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

37mm here now and it continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Rainfall totals map for the W Midlands and E Wales tweeted by Dave Throup of the EA:

I don't have the slightest problem believing that. In these parts it's been a truly revolting day: rain, rain, rain, slight let up, rain and rain. Oh, and rain. I'm not sure we've had a day quite as bad as this since last winter. The River Severn here has risen a metre in the last 12 hours; good job it started out low!

Posted

To name just a few from Buxtonweather.com

There are problems around the area with surface water - and in some area stretches of roads are flooded - LATEST ROAD REPORTS: "A6 at Ashford in the water is literally in the water , extremely deep flood water there and problems on the A6 towards Buxton "  AND "A6 Dukes drive in Ashford in the Water - Chartsworth / Baslow turning is also flooded badly, care needed in all these areas" Thank you Kathy Hall @ 17.45 "A623 Stoney Middleton is flooded" Thank you Joanne Hartley @ 17.30  AND "Causeway Lane in Matlock has severe flooding"  AND "All roads through Baslow are severly affected by floodwater"  AND "The main road (A6) through Rowsley has deep water"
Monday Evening and Night:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, Dancerwithwings said:

Over the weekend and today we've all had a proper good soaking.

It's been largely dry now for so long that it's been a shock to the system.

But to be honest it's only what we expect for November.

Next.... drying up as HP builds with a greater risks of FOG :D

Yep DWW,,

I have recorded 35mm today  (in 12 hours) after 17 mm yesterday..

On a more positive note the temperature has increased from 1.4 over night to 8.0C right now.

Lets of surface flooding in the  villages around..

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

It was a grim day but oddly felt quite cosy being inside with the wind and rain battering the windows. Felt more akin to being on the coast of Cornwall during a big storm.

The wind wasn't anything exceptional but it was still strong but I think compared to the storms gone by over the last few years, it was the combination of rain and wind which made it sound even worse than it was. Then of course it was dark for most of the day too.

So yes some terrible flooding around but as I was at home today, I managed to sit inside and enjoy the relaxing sounds of the rain hammering the windows!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday's rainfall of 45.8 mm made it the 15th wettest day on record ( 40 years ) here and the wettest November day since 2012 when 48.8 mm was recorded on the 24th.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

I don't know why people bother in the model thread, they've been saying the same things for the last 3 - 4 weeks and none of it ever happens

it does if it's showing mild

Posted

2 inches of rain from that second NE-ly storm in 2.5 days,in winter that would be blizzards.

Another record well smashed.

Today a NEly and dull but much brighter and even sunny in oswestry.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:40, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep DWW,,

I have recorded 35mm today  (in 12 hours) after 17 mm yesterday..

On a more positive note the temperature has increased from 1.4 over night to 8.0C right now.

Lets of surface flooding in the  villages around..

MIA

Yet another miserable day, that heavy drizzle ( if there is such a thing) that just soaks you to the bone...:ninja:

On and off all day here & cold to go with it.... 7c :cold:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
4 hours ago, Ian Ballinger said:

I don't know why people bother in the model thread, they've been saying the same things for the last 3 - 4 weeks and none of it ever happens

I know it may seem that way, Most cold scenarios are in FI, but saying that it never happens ....?

Well Hmmmm ! I could show you chart after chart that shows it does.

I will agree with you if you are referring to just lately though.....I've never know a November like it ( regarding the models ) :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

Yeah I did mean lately, seems like we've been expecting cold for weeks that never really arrives

I suppose its better than a month of boring model watching with weeks of very mild windy zonal crap......My tip....Watch December :cold:

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

Yeah I did mean lately, seems like we've been expecting cold for weeks that never really arrives

too early yet anyway, best if it waits until mid Dec, signs it will, but will end up typical TMW fashion, mid dec for cold now, early dec arrives, late Dec now for SSW, heights to NE, Xmas arrives, 'signs of a SSW for mid Jan', early Jan arrives (still waiting for a flake of snow) maybe signs of PV weakening by late Jan, along with a SSW, then maybe by Feb, we see heights to our N

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

too early yet anyway, best if it waits until mid Dec, signs it will, but will end up typical TMW fashion, mid dec for cold now, early dec arrives, late Dec now for SSW, heights to NE, Xmas arrives, 'signs of a SSW for mid Jan', early Jan arrives (still waiting for a flake of snow) maybe signs of PV weakening by late Jan, along with a SSW, then maybe by Feb, we see heights to our N

Lol!   You couldn't make it up......Oh sorry....YOU DO :doh: :p

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all, well some lol!

Proper November now and looking forward to a cold week with not just cold days (3c to 4c) :) but early frosts........ @ 4 to 7pm not far off freezing for most late afternoons and below come the evenings  :cold: It'll make a big change to just seeing frosts come the morning......and wait for it............1st day of Winter Thursday :santa-emoji::yahoo:

60-778UK_jsy4.GIF81-778UK_wog7.GIF84-778UK_nos9.GIF108-778UK_vhm9.GIF

Posted

Max -1c frost and ice all day and frost reformed on roof and cars that had been in sunshine earlier.... tricky driving early this morning on roads where run off from fields last night froze over overnight....  min -4c last night... been clear blue sky all day brrrr.... after thurdays thanksgiving celebrations and yesterdays manchester xmas markets its turkey leftover currytime..... 

Latest bbc week ahead forecast still going for Milder start to December but with Cold returning as we go deeper into the month....i got a feeling we are all gonna get some action before xmas... and hopefully beyond....

Posted
7 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Latest bbc week ahead forecast still going for Milder start to December but with Cold returning as we go deeper into the month....i got a feeling we are all gonna get some action before xmas... and hopefully beyond....

they must think Wed/Thur high to be positioned further south, then it will be average temps 8°