Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE England and EA Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Was that as Saturday, if so, I had a proper blizzard, 6inches in four hours.

yes,it was a Saturday

Posted

A wee frost this morning. Hovering around freezing at 0800. This winter has been substantially better for frosts, and we're 1/3rd of the way through.

A mid month cold spell is the on the way I feel. 

IMG_1442.JPGIMG_1437.JPGIMG_1440.JPG

Edited by Changing Skies
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Was that as Saturday, if so, I had a proper blizzard, 6inches in four hours.

No as that was the day I had to walk up the school to pick up the kids, because all the buses where stuck on Brighton road. It looked like oxford st going towards south croydon. Then once I was on the way back, still in the same place, so for at least an hour although probably much longer, the traffic didn't move at all.

Ok must be thinking of another day of snowfall in 2010, it was the streamer that happened after the 2009 one.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
54 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

No as that was the day I had to walk up the school to pick up the kids, because all the buses where stuck on Brighton road. It looked like oxford st going towards south croydon. Then once I was on the way back, still in the same place, so for at least an hour although probably much longer, the traffic didn't move at all.

Ok must be thinking of another day of snowfall in 2010, it was the streamer that happened after the 2009 one.

lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm not seeing any proper snow in the foreseeable future... Possibly the high ground of southern areas may see some snow early next week, and this is in medium range...

IMG_0211.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Spot the angry bird .

cold night here a tad of frost 

image.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Milder and mostly cloudy today after a frosty start. 

Things looking a little more positive going forward with a big area of heights appearing over Russia which disrupts low heights near the UK, maybe a sniff of something colder again next week.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
5 hours ago, simon65 said:

it started to snow at around 10am that day ,this is what we had by the afternoon .I remember my weather station wind speed and direction sensors froze up that year as well ,I then took a trek across some fields to get some nice photos of the traffic stuck in the snow on the bypass ,was a very good year for snow .All it takes is the right conditions and theres still a possibility for a white out this year :)

Was gutted on this day , it was a Saturday and was doing overtime at work.

The snow got here at 17:00 and to my horror it just fizzled out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Morning all

A milder start today, few showers about this morning but it should clear to give us decent sunshine this afternoon and a clear night, temps dropping quite low and should be another decent frost to wake to tomorrow.

Posted

Morning All. Milder start to the day today. The bitter wind has dropped and no frost or mist.

Hopefully the cloud should break by this evening and allow a hard frost to develop overnight. Another clear night to view the planets of Venus and Mars me thinks. :)

Observations

Observed at 08:00, Wednesday 4 January

5°C 41°F

Wind Speed 16 km/h 10 mph West North Westerly

Humidity: 85%

Visibility: Excellent

Pressure: 1024mb, Falling

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Back to school and the school run. Chilly as you would expect, but not icy. No wind and some cloud. 

Had quite a heavy shower an hour ago haha missed me. Still quite dark here and the odd spot.

Not worried if we don't get any snow now. My cosy socks got lost in the post:nonono:money refunded.

Postal service has been really sharp lemons the pass few months, worst than last:reindeer-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not too bad a day here, sunshine breaking through the clouds, bit of a breeze today and not cold. 

Usual wrist slitting, crying and moaning going on in other threads, like every year we don't get snow. Sadly that's the usual state of affairs here in our boring Island, Canada it ain't. Would be nice to see some of the white stuff for a few days, better than rain and wind and thankfully not had much of that  this winter so far, at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Pretty awful up here, SB: blowing a bit of a hoolie, sunny spells and occasional rain showers and it's a mind-numbingly boring 7C!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Had a spell of heavy rain move through around midday here in south London and still a bit grey after the rain cleared, depressing that despite being in a northerly flow in climatically the coldest time of year, we get 7C and rain.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Had a spell of heavy rain move through around midday here in south London and still a bit grey after the rain cleared, depressing that despite being in a northerly flow in climatically the coldest time of year, we get 7C and rain.

Reminds of 1974-75, Nick - the same thing happened then: northerly gales and showers, all at 7-8C...Maybe - I know it's a long shot - a late February-early March pattern-change might just save the day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Pretty awful up here, SB: blowing a bit of a hoolie, sunny spells and occasional rain showers and it's a mind-numbingly boring 7C!

It has gone completely overcast here now too, not much wind though. Certainly is boring! Would love more sunny days and frosty nights, had quite a few of these so far, very pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Not too bad a day here, sunshine breaking through the clouds, bit of a breeze today and not cold. 

Usual wrist slitting, crying and moaning going on in other threads, like every year we don't get snow. Sadly that's the usual state of affairs here in our boring Island, Canada it ain't. Would be nice to see some of the white stuff for a few days, better than rain and wind and thankfully not had much of that  this winter so far, at least.

I would usually agree. But with what looks to be the 4th consecutive winter without decent Snow (No not wishing for Narnia or winter wonderland) 1 week of snow cover will do, I think the the moaning and crying is called for this time around.

Agree about the boring climate, yes its changeable and unpredictable - but its a boring changeable and unpredictable. - Nothing extreme, not talking about a boring atlantic weather system bringing 70mph winds and buckets of rain either... Yawn Zzzzzzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

45% chance of snow on the Netweather 10 day for the 13th. Officially the highest it has shown this winter for my postcode!

I'm confused though. It's almost like people want the cake,  cherry, sauce and then coffee and cream after. 

Again I appreciate that comparing winter so far to previous its been very dry and you could say "boring". But on the flip side we have had cold conditions and frosts etc with some even lasting all day! When was the last time that happened? 

I think I have had at least 2 frosts a week for the last month which to be fair, ain't bad given the previous winters. 

The problem people forget is our position on earth and the fact we have the gulf stream immediately to our left. Adding to this we are also not "land locked" like a lot of countries to our east which experience much colder winters. 

You can't compare though each winter and you certainly can't use the likes of 2010 for any comparison.  That was a special winter. 

Now, I love snow as much as everyone else does, but the UK is not the place for it (away from obvious areas) we simply need so much to fall in line for it to happen. We also have the biggest fetch of open water on the planet as well.  All these factors that influence our weather daily that people forget. 

Our climate is changing, 2010 winter was 6/7 years ago which ever way you want to look at it, and in terms of global weather patterns etc a lot has and will continue to change. I've been talking to a few people with more knowledge and one has worked for the met and he agrees when I say the UK we slowly see a change to much dryer and warmer summers with wetter and warmer winters. It's already happening.. 

I've never in the history of watching and studying weather though known a dry period like we are seeing now.  On going from summer!! It's fascinating which ever way you look at it. 

Of course it's all well and good saying all this I appreciate that winters "back in the day" were a lot different. But so to was the atmosphere above you and the global weather patterns etc. 

If we get no snow this winter so be it. That's the weather that's what it does and nobody on earth controls it (thankfully) we can say though it was different dryer than average and very much high pressure dominated so far. 

I'll end after this paragraph I promise. We are only 34ish days into winter with February and March to come in terms of winter. Given we can't get past 144+ hours, saying no snow within the next 1000+ hours is a little silly, no? 

And on that note - 5 tonight perhaps even - 6 - 7 in any frost hollows the 2nd or 3rd time this winter it has got down to that temperature... 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I'm confused though.

Use the Force, Luke - all will become clear...:oops: