Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE England and EA Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

After an icy start with the temp dropping from 7am-8am which is unusual we maxed out at 3.1 degrees and hovering around zero atm. December was exceptionally dry here and temps most days were between 4-8 degrees although Christmas day was the mildest day of the month at 12.3 degrees.We had about 5 frosts which was more than last winter and quite a few sunny winters days.Disappointing that the potential cold spell never materialized and we have started this month in same vein as we ended last month and next 7 days look like we will have temps in the 4-8 degree range again.It would be nice if the dice would finally fall in our favour for snow and ice days for once but at present the odds on this happening are small:sorry:It is frustrating as there is a deep cold pool in Eastern/Central Europe to tap into and if we did get an East/North Easterly feed this region could really be the sweet spot for snow.Think 3 years for most of this region not to see snow is long enough!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Those waiting for snow, we are pretty much stuck in a pattern which although has got a lot less stormy, still isn't good for cold and when I say cold, I mean snow, not a couple of boring frosty nights. Despite the same old posters in the MOD thread posting the same old nonsense for the past three years, about the building blocks being in place for cold (yawn), I think we will have to sit this winter out too. We may get a couple of  snow falls late winter but the current set up needs to change big time, here's to 2020 and the new ice age:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Still lot of potential and 2/3rds of winter left so as frustrating as "the chase of the Day 10" is, I still have some hope!!!

I also couldn't help be reminded this morning, when my fb pics from last year came up of my kids on a thoroughly wet and muddy walk that I'm really grateful for the frosty nights and crisp sunny days we've had so far - far more wintry than the last two put together!

Tonight looks majorly frosty out there, thick layer of white already sparkling away! Hoar frost maybe?!

H x

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Still lot of potential and 2/3rds of winter left so as frustrating as "the chase of the Day 10" is, I still have some hope!!!

I also couldn't help be reminded this morning, when my fb pics from last year came up of my kids on a thoroughly wet and muddy walk that I'm really grateful for the frosty nights and crisp sunny days we've had so far - far more wintry than the last two put together!

Tonight looks majorly frosty out there, thick layer of white already sparkling away! Hoar frost maybe?!

H x

Cars are iced over here 0c

• Like 1

Posted

Clear and cold start here in SE London. A frost in St James' Park as i walked through at 0730

Observations

Observed at 07:00, Tuesday 3 January

-1°C 30°F

Wind Speed 11 km/h 7 mph Westerly

Humidity: 93%

Visibility: Good

Pressure: 1029mb, Falling

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
9 hours ago, leedsnowfan said:

Just remember...the cold spell in 2009 didnt start til the end of January.....

Indeed it did, anyone writing off winter on the first week of January may be left with egg on their face. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Yes , at least we are having air frosts this year which is a darn better than the last few years . A positive for me is that the cold is not that far away and will only take some small shifts to get the snow in. Last year all the cold seemed thousands of miles way at the other side of the Atlantic . Lovely morning here frost coating most surfaces.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
18 minutes ago, shotski said:

Indeed it did, anyone writing off winter on the first week of January may be left with egg on their face. 

Do you blame people though, with our recent track record I think its perfectly acceptable to write off winter the first week of January. Snow not forecast in the reliable, well even for the next 2 weeks. God knows how long the wait will be after that, probably well in February.

Of course I hope I have egg on my face but I'm going for another snow less winter - This of course is a easier/odds on punt then dreaming/hoping of Narnia to arrive as these synoptic's seem a thing of the past!

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Do you blame people though, with our recent track record I think its perfectly acceptable to write off winter the first week of January. Snow not forecast in the reliable, well even for the next 2 weeks. God knows how long the wait will be after that, probably well in February.

Of course I hope I have egg on my face but I'm going for another snow less winter - This of course is a easier/odds on punt then dreaming/hoping of Narnia to arrive as these synoptic's seem a thing of the past!

Maybe that's part of the problem, people waiting for Narnia to arrive! 

1947  1962  1987  2010  and plenty of snowless winters in between. There is a reason we talk about the above winters with such fondness, they don't come along very often. I'm not saying it will or won't snow but nobody can predict what's going to happen in two weeks time and I must admit it's a frustrating time :fool:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It seems almost a cruel trick that we're getting such thick frosts with no snow. For the last 3 mornings I've woken up to it looking like there's a thin layer of snow on the ground.

Posted
23 minutes ago, shotski said:

Maybe that's part of the problem, people waiting for Narnia to arrive! 

1947  1962  1987  2010  and plenty of snowless winters in between. There is a reason we talk about the above winters with such fondness, they don't come along very often. I'm not saying it will or won't snow but nobody can predict what's going to happen in two weeks time and I must admit it's a frustrating time :fool:

True, I guess we all interpret Narnia differently - For me its a week with cold temperatures and snow cover. In South East England terms that is Narnia. To Canadians, its no more than a sneeze!

I don't think anyone wants/wishing a 47,62,87,2010 winter (Yes it would be nice) - Just a week of decent snow and cold - But we cant even manage that since November 2013

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Lovely frost last evening and the temp got down to -4.6C under the clear overnight skies. But the cloud has rolled in now and temps are up to 3C. Satellite imagery suggests its a cloudy day ahead. 

So on we go with the seemingly never ending search for snow! I wouldn't mind moving to Fantasy Island - they seem to get bucket loads of the white stuff there! :angry:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
9 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Lovely frost last evening and the temp got down to -4.6C under the clear overnight skies. But the cloud has rolled in now and temps are up to 3C. Satellite imagery suggests its a cloudy day ahead. 

So on we go with the seemingly never ending search for snow! I wouldn't mind moving to Fantasy Island - they seem to get bucket loads of the white stuff there! :angry:

At the moment it seems Fantasy Island is between Greece & Turkey...some of the snow scenes in that area :nonono:

Thick frost this morning but the sun is working on it, cloud starting to roll in here too now.

Some interesting signals this morning in the output but as always we seem to be chasing the 10day stage.

....it really is a pickle, only comfort I can take compared to the last few winters is the decent frosts we've had, making it atleast feel seasonal and the good thing is we still have plenty of Winter left!

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

At the moment it seems Fantasy Island is between Greece & Turkey...some of the snow scenes in that area :nonono:

Thick frost this morning but the sun is working on it, cloud starting to roll in here too now.

Some interesting signals this morning in the output but as always we seem to be chasing the 10day stage.

....it really is a pickle, only comfort I can take compared to the last few winters is the decent frosts we've had, making it atleast feel seasonal and the good thing is we still have plenty of Winter left!

Completely agree, the fact we haven't been smacked twice in the face with Atlantic dross and wet, mild and windy conditions is definitely one positive to take from what sets to look like yet another snow less winter as we head towards Mid January.

However this is the UK and there is no such thing as ''Plenty of Winter left'' - Each cold opportunity lost is a MASSIVE loss in this country.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Only thing interesting is that my cat is licking the ice cover in a bucket in the garden. Hasn't anyone noticed that snow has been out in the ten day stage since November, now it is January and it's still out there. Can anyone see what is happening?:wallbash: Anyone noticing a pattern?:unknw: How about you at the back:doh:

Posted
7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Morning peeps, 

Another very cold start here - 5 on the thermometer this morning! 

I can understand the frustration re snow but winter so far as whole has been pretty decent! Lots of frost and cold so far I much prefer the crisp cold days to mild crap

Hi Surrey,

Yes this winter has definitely been decent in regards to Dry weather. My next favorite weather type to Snow in winter.

Must of been much colder down your neck of the woods this morning, thick frost here in Hertfordshire but car thermometer reading +0.5C at 8:30am

Definitely one of the milder frosty mornings this winter.

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted

Apparently we get on average between 5-10 days of laying snow per year, that means we're owed about 15 days. :yahoo:

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
8 minutes ago, shotski said:

Apparently we get on average between 5-10 days of laying snow per year, that means we're owed about 15 days. :yahoo:

image.jpg

I saw that and giggled to myself because I think since 2011 we've not even had 5 days combined, certainly none at all the last 2 years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, shotski said:

image.jpg

Apparently I'm supposed to get 10 - 20, yeah right I haven't seen any laid snow at all in the three years I've lived here.

• Like 1

Posted

for the people that are in deep need for snow ,a reminder of 2010 ,enjoy ! :) 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, simon65 said:

for the people that are in deep need for snow ,a reminder of 2010 ,enjoy ! :) 

You had some nice big flakes there:good:

Posted
38 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

You had some nice big flakes there:good:

it started to snow at around 10am that day ,this is what we had by the afternoon .I remember my weather station wind speed and direction sensors froze up that year as well ,I then took a trek across some fields to get some nice photos of the traffic stuck in the snow on the bypass ,was a very good year for snow .All it takes is the right conditions and theres still a possibility for a white out this year :)

Posted
15 minutes ago, simon65 said:

it started to snow at around 10am that day ,this is what we had by the afternoon .I remember my weather station wind speed and direction sensors froze up that year as well ,I then took a trek across some fields to get some nice photos of the traffic stuck in the snow on the bypass ,was a very good year for snow .All it takes is the right conditions and theres still a possibility for a white out this year :)

Was that as Saturday, if so, I had a proper blizzard, 6inches in four hours.