Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Nice springlike day today, shirt sleeves bedding cattle in sheds. Mostly overcast with a maximum of 8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Northern England was in the grip of Jack Frost while I was there.... all hard surfaces covered in old frosty ferns. Don't see that very often here these days.

Doesn't look like winter's going anywhere special on the charts so lets make the best of what we have. Today was a good day for watching the paint dry. 

• Like 3

Posted

Just for a bit of controversy here is the view of  a clever agronomist who I used to  go and listen to at the company meeting for farmer customers every December

"The current global mean temperaturehas dropped in recent months,post El Nino at the fastest rate for decades another fact modellers and climate science activists failed to report or predict

Expect continuing lower temperaturesin the coming months, with a strengthening La Nina which has nothing to do with CO2 related climate change predictions"

What with a  now very quiet sun a cold winter must happen sometime soon.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
13 hours ago, 101_North said:

At the risk of amusing edo - today is awful muck outside! Absolute pish compared to yesterday :angry:

It did amuse me....mental picture of cat being kicked family being growled at and sighs galore.....to be fair I opened the door this morning and said oh I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad....still it can only get better 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

It is better than the past GFS I'll admit. GFS control was also on the mild end of its assembly suite by the 16th so there's hope that it was an outlier too. Maybe by the end of the weekend we'll have a better idea, maybe we won't. Still searching for scraps really in what looked like a semi-promising winter. 

Maybe not the best for your area or mine but I am liking the trend towards quite significant uppers and low dew points giving quite an area of Scotland a chance at some very decent snow showers come the 13th from the NW... if it's tilted enough we can do decent here...certainly far better than a northerly....MT seems very happy tonight....Nicks swapping his spam for steak and Steve Murrs trumping the teleconnections peeps...... it would be ironic if we got a decent spell when all the background signals say no....whatever the fleck those signals are 

• Like 1

Posted

I've had to remove Reed Timmer from my Twitter followers, because if I saw him drive through one more major snowstorm, I was apt to jump in a plane, fly over, and let the air out all 15 of his tyres.

Bah.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
8 hours ago, edo said:

Maybe not the best for your area or mine but I am liking the trend towards quite significant uppers and low dew points giving quite an area of Scotland a chance at some very decent snow showers come the 13th from the NW... if it's tilted enough we can do decent here...certainly far better than a northerly....MT seems very happy tonight....Nicks swapping his spam for steak and Steve Murrs trumping the teleconnections peeps...... it would be ironic if we got a decent spell when all the background signals say no....whatever the fleck those signals are 

This mornings models still looking good for a cold shot end of next week (Fri / Sat). Someone will probably see snow from that but at the moment I'd not like to try to predict who, assuming it doesn't all fall apart. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Nooooo Catch stoppit lol  It's about time  we had some down here!! Them Northeners get far too much!

• Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Northern Strath is going to need a shovel. A big bastarding shovel. That's my prediction :) I'm going to need a scraper to scrape my frozen tears off the car's windscreen. 

I won't even need the scraper as I doubt I'll see a frost.:D

Seriously though, let's hope this projected cold spell doesn't fizzle away as the time approaches. I'd like to see an improvement in the ECM output.

Foggy morning in Broughty Ferry. 4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I've just seen the charts for 19th January, not good, not good at all! I know it's a long way off but I'd rather it didn't turn out that way! Wind gusts on top of ice or snow or both says look out insurance policy! Anyhoo, meh kind of day here again, currently 10c and boring. 

h500slp[1].png

ukgust[1].png

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Jings....Polar low at 156 trying to nudge towards scotland... Steve Murr post on 12zs.   You never know Catch, we may need a shovel as well!

IMG_1328.thumb.PNG.ba3fc9a099699bbfaa48b62b1285c775.PNG

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Haha. I recently broke a shovel which has seen a LOT of snow over the years @CatchMyDrift I hope it's not jinxed things.... Only bonus to the tame arsed winter is there are plenty shovels available, have seen some years when they're like hen's teeth

Have been away on Skye seeing the in-laws. Almost Autumnal at times but the car got its usual Skye car wash from hours of sideways rain from the west. Overcast/dull a great deal but as always, still bonnie

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back home now. Frosty start today, which shifted around mid-day. Was down near Feshiebridge with the dog. 4c and fresh, not a wintery scene but lovely as ever 

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Young deer, a beautiful animal, often skittish, occasional golfers too

image.png

The hills are depressingly bare for January but I still have hope this winter will deliver, the end of January and in to Febuary is often the period which does so and although I'd prefer it a.s.a.p to maximise the reduced daylight, there is still plenty time for winter to give us a hefty few kicks in the valuables 

• Like 7

Posted

Looking interesting later next week I take it? ;) Anything got to beat this muck. Still cloudy, foggy and mild.................for now

• Like 4

Posted

Uninterestingly boring today: too damp to cut the grass (although I did watch it growing briefly) and too damp and too cool (just) to paint the walls (so none to watch drying). I live in hope to see some truly boring weather soon and to be able to indulge my habits...

My snow shovel was inherited from an aunt from Nethybridge so has seen better days (more of an heirloom than a tool) - in fact in the 10 years I've had it, I've thought every year that it should be replaced but haven't had enough snow lying to justify the outlay.

Plenty of mallards (being harrassed by dogs) down at the harbour today, and a heron being mobbed by gulls. The sunset was slightly interesting but not enough to justify the effort of switching on the camera.  I was busy stifling a yawn.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Aye it's all go and pure adrenline innit HC

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, mardatha said:

Aye it's all go and pure adrenline innit HC

Even the cats are reading* last year's newspapers.

*might be just resting next to...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
9 hours ago, GraemeB said:

I've had to remove Reed Timmer from my Twitter followers, because if I saw him drive through one more major snowstorm, I was apt to jump in a plane, fly over, and let the air out all 15 of his tyres.

Bah.

That seems like a bit of an anti-climatic end after all the energy expended getting there. I mean - could you not at least do a bit of spray paint graffiti or something?

Posted
6 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Northern Strath is going to need a shovel. A big bastarding shovel. That's my prediction :) I'm going to need a scraper to scrape my frozen tears off the car's windscreen. 

Netweather Scotland region group party at @Northern Strath's place next weekend. Activities include team snowball fight, snowman competition, sledging. Byob & snow shovel. 

Back down in central belt tonight. Drive down was very misty most of the way, especially around Dundee and Perth. Drizzly in Airdrie. Pity, as it was decent in Aberdeenshire earlier, a bit of mist around but otherwise little cloud and some sun. 

• Like 8

Posted

European weather report from a pilot who lives locally.  He was in Sweden yesterday temperature -14c to -20c and Switzerland a few days before no snow on the Alps but cold enough for snow cannons to be keeping the only artficial snow  runs topped up.Landed at the highest runway there where also little natural snow.

In Istanbul before that and sub  zero with snow on the palm trees.Truly upside down weather.

A lot of farming locals think this benign weather cannot go on forever and we will eventually pay for it,maybe we will get blizzards at the end of next  week.

Very benign here  no wind bright intervels and a high of 6.5c after a trace of ground frost this morning.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Back down in central belt tonight. Drive down was very misty most of the way, especially around Dundee and Perth. Drizzly in Airdrie. Pity, as it was decent in Aberdeenshire earlier, a bit of mist around but otherwise little cloud and some sun. 

Its been super misty all day! A proper hide indoors day! Is it all safe in the MT? i may go look

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Hmm so the next wintery spell is looking towards later next week? coming from the NW? So that will be good for those north and to the west and along the central belt I think. Not really good for us here, in a imby perspective is it @edo?  Though still time for things to change a bit in that timescale im guessing. The usual upgrades and downgrades and some toys flying aboot in MT nearer the time no doubt :-P

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If I didn't live in the furthest SE corner of Scotland I'd be getting excited:

IMG_1666.PNG

IMG_1665.PNG

Edit: the charts are looking better and better in my opinion, someone could get a good whack of snow if these come off. 

Maybe someone who lives in West central Scotland BOOM!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Maybe someone who lives in West central Scotland BOOM!!!!

If the ECM turns out to be right then we all might be on for something... 

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

If I've learned anything then that kink in the flow over the UK could bring snow if the upper temps play ball. 

• Like 2