Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
4 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Yes and God help us if we get a nationwide freeze in winter. Swings and roundabouts. 

Not likely. There hasn't been a cold winter for nearly 7 years.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just Model related moans and ramps please in here.

• Like 1

Posted

Models, so far, are screaming settled - but not hot/heatwave like.

A relief to many! Gefs days 5-10 T2m with a slightly positive anomaly into mid-term.  

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_41.png

Edited by draztik
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Models been flirting with this low, not as bad as GFS 00Z was, but wary of it, could ruin things for us (the south), could be that northern areas turn out the most settled/warmest

ECM1-168.GIF?12-0

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Models been flirting with this low, not as bad as GFS 00Z was, but wary of it, could ruin things for us (the south), could be that northern areas turn out the most settled/warmest

ECM1-168.GIF?12-0

Given how things have gone so far this summer, you'd gladly give a little sunshine to the North, right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, draztik said:

Given how things have gone so far this summer, you'd gladly give a little sunshine to the North, right?

yeah, they deserve it, just what could happen next week

Posted

Sitting in the tree, watching the apple cart this evening.... and a few more apples have fallen overboard. Models not behaving as some might like. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
3 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Well can you see any government going out and fitting air con to all the care homes etc? Would please them to no end if the old dears snuffed it. God help us if that comes off.

Well it looks like you wont need to worry about air cons.  Next week it will be warm days and chilly nights http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/40589950

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
16 minutes ago, 40*C said:

Well it looks like you wont need to worry about air cons.  Next week it will be warm days and chilly nights http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/40589950

Last I heard from the met office it was a southernly flow. Can't be if they're expecting such drops at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
33 minutes ago, davehsug said:

get the cold in first and the snow will follow

Whoever came up with that quote, needs a firm backhand.

Posted
6 hours ago, draztik said:

(18z GFS) .... the wheels coming off the apple cart.... nevermind the falling apples!

Never mind the apples, this mornings GFS run has managed to lose the cart.:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, draztik said:

(18z GFS) .... the wheels coming off the apple cart.... nevermind the falling apples!

Oh fabulous, so there might now be low pressure, cool temperatures and loads of cloud and wind in high summer, how exciting! Can't have any decent warmth, can we? Some poor granny might feel ill (the same poor granny that would feel ill in a big freeze, but we can't mention that) but don't worry about the millions of other people trying to enjoy their gardens, sports, outdoor events, going camping, festivals, or holidaying in the UK in general. No, they can all suffer. It's summer, it's going to get hot from time to time and most normal people enjoy it. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Never mind the apples, this mornings GFS run has managed to lose the cart.:D

Was just going to say the 18z was fabulous compared to the pile of horse manure the 00z run produced..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
15 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh fabulous, so there might now be low pressure, cool temperatures and loads of cloud and wind in high summer, how exciting! Can't have any decent warmth, can we? Some poor granny might feel ill (the same poor granny that would feel ill in a big freeze, but we can't mention that) but don't worry about the millions of other people trying to enjoy their gardens, sports, outdoor events, going camping, festivals, or holidaying in the UK in general. No, they can all suffer. It's summer, it's going to get hot from time to time and most normal people enjoy it. 

Dramatic much?! 

This summer has been warmer and drier than average thus far. Even here in Cheshire. There has been plenty of usable weather and there will be plenty more before summer is over. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Heat haters are like spoiled children - most of the year is cool and unsettled, and they whinge incessantly whenever the models show even a hint of something summer-like. Absolutely pathetic behaviour.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Heat haters are like spoiled children - most of the year is cool and unsettled, and they whinge incessantly whenever the models show even a hint of something summer-like.

The winter equivalent of this summer would have me grinning like a Cheshire cat. I have absolutely no idea what people are moaning about, unless they were expecting a '76?

People have short memories. A 2007 or 2012 really would give you something to moan about. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

The winter equivalent of this summer would have me grinning like a Cheshire cat. I have absolutely no idea what people are moaning about, unless they were expecting a '76?

I was expecting a few days in the upper 20s, maybe low 30s. As a weather enthusiast you can probably understand why a lot if people find heatwaves exciting, and feel dissapointed when they fail to materialise. 

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

I was expecting a few days in the upper 20s, maybe low 30s. As a weather enthusiast you can probably understand why a lot if people find heatwaves exciting, and feel dissapointed when they fail to materialise. 

Yeah just like people feel (have felt) these past few winters. I haven't seen proper lying snow since 2013.

As I've said before, the UK climate is becoming ever more bland. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah just like people feel (have felt) these past few winters. I haven't seen proper lying snow since 2013.

As I've said before, the UK climate is becoming ever more bland. 

Right, and that is nothing to celebrate in my opinion. If we get cool unsettled weather in summer and mild unsettled weather in winter, nobody wins - unless you like cold summers and mild winters.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

Right, and that is nothing to celebrate in my opinion. If we get cool unsettled weather in summer and mild unsettled weather in winter, nobody wins - unless you like cold summers and mild winters.

I'd like a storm in summer, that'd be a start. I'll accept heat if it results in a good storm but we don't even see those that often anymore. As I said it's just bland bland and more bland and it has been for years now. I don't think anyone is celebrating that grim fact.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Ice Man will be happy,looking at this morning's charts 

C.S. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
36 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Dramatic much?! 

This summer has been warmer and drier than average thus far. Even here in Cheshire. There has been plenty of usable weather and there will be plenty more before summer is over. 

I agree, here in the SE it has been a pretty good summer so far, with well above average temperatures and slightly above average sunshine levels. Much usable weather, as you say. My 'dramatic' post was in response to one of the heat hating crowd that constantly rub their hands in glee when anything crap shows up in summer model output, it annoys me intensely! We get a small window of hot weather potential as it is here, it never lasts long so why be negative about it? We spend months of the year cooped up indoors or wearing 20 layers, the chance to be outdoors and warm in this country is a joy.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

I agree, here in the SE it has been a pretty good summer so far, with well above average temperatures and slightly above average sunshine levels. Much usable weather, as you say. My 'dramatic' post was in response to one of the heat hating crowd that constantly rub their hands in glee when anything crap shows up in summer model output, it annoys me intensely! We get a small window of hot weather potential as it is here, it never lasts long so why be negative about it?

Everyone is allowed to have their preferences. It annoys me in winter when people take glee in mild crap that we seem to suffer endlessly. However if I was to vent my frustration at said posters I'd probably get banned!

Truth is, some people will always find unappealing what you find appealing. 

• Like 4