Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

A little low in Iberia blocks heights from the south at T132 ... what impact will this have later on?

Wasn't there yesterday

28 12 03 01 -5c.png

29 12 03 01_Ink_LI.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Johnp said:

Am I correct in saying we will no longer be getting any nuggets from Ian F because some plonker copied everything to Facebook?

Shame if so as it'd be interesting to hear the Met office view.

It's a shame - but I wonder if anyone has had a word with the said plonker, as they might not realise what they did was wrong, and then @Ian Fergussoncan return and give us the much needed updates.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Gfs 06z going the nice, easy, stress free way to cold :)

This run looks great , wouldn't it be great if we sprung a noteworthy freeze out of this.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

It's a shame - but I wonder if anyone has had a word with the said plonker, as they might not realise what they did was wrong, and then @Ian Fergussoncan return and give us the much needed updates.

can we move on from this please, it's not model output discussion....thanks

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Liking the 2nd northerly on 06z GFS, with a deep low down the North Sea helping less modification of a stronger arctic flow, pity it will unlikely verify like that at the surface at that range but overall the upper pattern from the  ops and ens continues to support the 2nd northerly

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

What does that actually mean ? More evidence? 

How can 1 comment on a day 10 chart have more evidence than another?

Steve

FG was at that last night with Mountain Shadow when posts clearly explained why he believed the initial northerly would only last upto 36hrs. He then gave his reasoning. Some people just don't read posts properly.

johnny

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Very happy with 6z!! Thinking parts of Scotland will be really quite snowy as we move through the 1st week of January..

Definitely! Scottish snow fans would be pleased with this run.

gfs-16-222_zfo0.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

GFS 06z looking much better in FI

gfsnh-0-222.png?6

Thermals at the ready!

GFSOPEU06_288_1.png

:cold:

Edited by Purga
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Very happy with 6z!! Thinking parts of Scotland will be really quite snowy as we move through the 1st week of January..

Big upgrade compared to earlier runs and I particularly like the angle of the low pressure in the Atlantic. It is not threatening the block.

• Like 1

Crikey. It's a long time since we've seen a polar low and it's not in particularly outlandish timeframe.

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 10.35.10.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 10.38.41.png

The models look to me to have significantly upgraded for cold over the past 24 hours. I think we're coming into a major pattern change that isn't about to budge out of the way. It's also often the case that UK snow events occur best on the battle front. That's a nerve-wracking process for us coldies but the rewards can exceed the pain.

Belter of a run.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, ajpoolshark said:

can we move on from this please, it's not model output discussion....thanks

Agreed not in the truest sense of the word, but in my view totally relevant to the thread. Anyway no worries I will say no more.

As for the 06z output, it is interesting that the Azores low develops more significantly than on the 00z run in that it pushes east into Portugal/Spain by T+153, whereas on the previous run it was prevented from migrating eastwards.

By T+213 it appears that the Atlantic high is not able to push eastwards as easily and thus not centred over the UK, leaving us in a better northerly flow for longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
42 minutes ago, EML Network said:

I honestly can't understand why everyone is so upbeat this morning, either I'm reading the charts wrong, Or i've woken up miserable or I've woken up in an alternate universe. 

Gone are the charts that were showing a more sustained colder period and this morning we have woken to see a firming up on the ensemble cluster t850Leicestershire.png06z Leicestershire ensembles

It's pretty certain that this weekend we start to get a temporary plunge of colder air, which clears away early next week , but it's becoming clear that next week things are going to warm up slightly although it will still be fairly chilly at the surface and then it's simply a case of rinse repeat, more or less the same pattern we have been stuck in ALL WINTER LONG !!

Maybe post the charts you see

I'm a optimist, half full

I see a 15c drop in current 850s for your location in the next week with strong model support and then the same kind of drop a short time after and then La la land.

I didn't see this 'pattern' in December. It will be interesting to see how  the second drop develops in the next few days. Could see 850s 18c less then you have now and yes I know re 2m etc but 7/1 we can see sub -5c far further to our west cf yesterday and cold air staying longer see GFs 6z with more -10c air at 9/1 and -10c 850s over whole of uk by 10/1 supporting charts attached. BOOM time

29 12 07 01.png

29 12 08 01.png

29 12 07 01 2.png

t850Leicestershire (1)_Ink_Ink_LI.jpg

29 12 10 01 -10c.png

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 6

Posted

looks like we may manage an undercut on a GFS op but that would be more to do with the big amplification showing. Would have liked to see less amplification and then an undercut as that would be reasonably significant given the current direction of ens travel.

• Like 1