Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

If this chart verifies.....

We could be in for an interesting run in to Christmas.  Yes I know it's the GFS and the ECM is having none of it but UKMO is supporting this evolution to some degree.

The law of the sod suggests ECM will be closer to the mark however.....

IMG_20161209_084554.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the GFS ens we do seem to have more runs going for milder air than cold air longer term - it's fair to say the control has 'gone off on one' too

gefsens850London0.png

• Like 1

Posted

We will always get a handle of forecasts out to 5 days but after that its guess work . Several days back I saw temps forecast for MBY on a particular day  for 6-7c it got no higher than 2.8c , quite a difference . I would like to see other forecasters from around the globe try predicting our weather .................it aint easy.

We clearly need so many things to come together to give us a decent winters spell . Low solar activity - Snow cover in October is talked about , QBO's , SSW 's and more , but in want order do they need to come together,  timing is the key ................ its easier to win the bloody lottery

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Looking at the GFS ens we do seem to have more runs going for milder air than cold air longer term - it's fair to say the control has 'gone off on one' too

gefsens850London0.png

Indeed Gav................Id like to see less of your mild posts :D but unfortunately I don't think that will be the case

• Like 2

Posted

No sign on the eps tha the nwp is responding to any of the potential positives we read yesterday re teleconnective drivers on the other side of the globe as yet. 

If anything, the positive AO/NAO combo gaining traction with reasonable sceuro anomoly and strongish mid Atlantic low anomoly. Given that heights mid Atlantic would be expected to be on the low side, a marked low anomoly means an active period ahead. Suspect a nw/se split if the sceuro heights manage to keep se uk away from the worst. 

of course, this still doesn't quite sit with the GEFS view of the pattern which holds the Atlantic trough further west but now trending to higher euro height anomalies than yesterday. the model still manages to take the oscillations neg last few days of its run. 

very little for coldies to hang their hats on thus far today. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
25 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Indeed Gav................Id like to see less of your mild posts :D but unfortunately I don't think that will be the case

I would like to bring coldies something colder but it's proving a real struggle at present...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
42 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

steep If this chart verifies.....

We could be in for an interesting run in to Christmas.  Yes I know it's the GFS and the ECM is having none of it but UKMO is supporting this evolution to some degree.

IMG_20161209_084554.jpg

... but unless there is a strong upper flow undercutting that ridge over Scandi ... that high is only ever going to sink south I'm afraid. Too much energy heading NE over the Atlantic due to the steep temp gradient over far north Atlantic beneath the deep cold over NE Canada and Greenland.

Really need to weaken or retrograde the deep cold pool upstream over Canada to have a fighting chance of keeping a ridge to our NE.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
40 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

If this chart verifies.....

IMG_20161209_084554.jpg

Yes , a glimmer of hope there. The latest extended N Atlantic charts from UKMO out to 168t, does show the deep Atlantic low starting to spin back NW and the pressure gradient towards Biscay has hallmarks towards some form of trough distruption on the advancing front  associated with the Atlantic Low. Still the flow is of a maritime nature for the North and West of the British, but the SE/E could start to see a colder continental feed as the wind flow backs. Not over yet.

C

ukm2.2016121600.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
58 minutes ago, Banbury said:

We will always get a handle of forecasts out to 5 days but after that its guess work . Several days back I saw temps forecast for MBY on a particular day  for 6-7c it got no higher than 2.8c , quite a difference . I would like to see other forecasters from around the globe try predicting our weather .................it aint easy.

We clearly need so many things to come together to give us a decent winters spell . Low solar activity - Snow cover in October is talked about , QBO's , SSW 's and more , but in want order do they need to come together,  timing is the key ................ its easier to win the bloody lottery

I have more chance of winning the lottery than I have all of these synoptics to come together

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Hahaha watching the models is like a game of bingo when all array of options are on the table lmao.  I just hope that yesterday's mumblings regarding a possible MJO 7/8 for that sudden change in all outlooks....  anyway eyes down for your first numbers hahhahaha 

• Like 4

Posted

Despite the progressive pattern painted by the majority EPS members as tweeted by Matt, 00z GEFS still going for a blocked signal, I count 15 out 20 members with anticyclonic synoptics over UK at day 10

240.PNG

Christmas Day now on GFS, and still half of the GEFS members look blocked to me on the 25th

384.pngF

Jury's still out for me on where we are headed toward Xmas given the ECMWF progressive vs GFS more blocked ... though can't see any deep cold coming anywhere near the UK unless some big pattern changes occur ... more likely a chance of a chilly continental feed with high pressure close to the east or NE.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Wasnt matts tweet yesterday calling a blocked dec/jan?????.Seems this has more flexibilty than a carp pole  atm,ah well

Edited by swfc
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not a lot of comment on the GFS 6z then. By t210 it's much flatter than the 0z..

0Z gfsnh-0-216.png  6Z gfsnh-0-210.png?6

Not looking much like a UK/Scandi high from that, maybe some cold zonality coming from NW?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Lol.

You just have to laugh really. 

A large swath' of Europe has the freezer door open on it. While we sit in the triangle of' nothingness! 

Its looking atm' like a stagnant situ with at best some minor inflow of continental air at times....

However still some resolve' perhaps of better synoptics' going forwards. 

gfsnh-1-204.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Jury's still out for me on where we are headed toward Xmas given the ECMWF progressive vs GFS more blocked ... though can't see any deep cold coming anywhere near the UK unless some big pattern changes occur ... more likely a chance of a chilly continental feed with high pressure close to the east or NE.

06z GFS says NO to blocking ... picking up the EC trend our just a rogue progressive run out of the other members?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Conorm said:

The bloke is clueless, his winter LRF is already in the bin.

What an acutely silly post!:good:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 minutes ago, MattHugo said:

personally I would sooner see a more zonal pattern break through, at least within that you can potentially get colder W or NW'ly flows, especially given the deep cold that is loitering over E Canada for example.

A bit like the GFS 6Z...

gfs-2-228.png?6  gfs-1-228.png?6  gfsnh-0-228.png?6

One run, FI, grasping at straws etc.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

A bit like the GFS 6Z...

The problem with zonal being that more often than not, it doesn't deliver something cold. I said more often than not, before people show me synoptics where it dumped shed loads of snow from 20 years ago ;-)

Still, beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

We really need to get rid of these euro heights, but we all know how stubborn they can be. Until they disappear we can forget any idea of deep sustained cold reaching our shores i fear

gfsnh-0-240.png

I'm glad I don't have a December Skiing Holiday booked in the Alps, must be quite bare!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1