IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
6 minutes ago, Mucka said:

A Christmas miracle?

gensnh-17-1-168.png

Ensembles definitely show a little interest but I'm not buying. (Wouldn't want to jinx it anyway)

Thats the first ensemble I've seen that actually takes the initial Low under the block.....! Trendsetter haha

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

It flattens out pretty quickly after that, but I expected that. 

Hi

The weak Scandi heights at D5 have no chance of being undercut if we look at the last 3-5 days GFS runs as by D7 there is a wave of heights incoming from the Azores, so any undercut (cold pool) will be in the Med rather than UK bound. That has IMO been nailed for days so that "window" is probably closed. I am surprised it is still up for debate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

Hi

The weak Scandi heights at D5 have no chance of being undercut if we look at the last 3-5 days GFS runs as by D7 there is a wave of heights incoming from the Azores, so any undercut (cold pool) will be in the Med rather than UK bound. That has IMO been nailed for days so that "window" is probably closed. I am surprised it is still up for debate!

Well that's your opinion. You may well be right, but what I've said is that the low is further south and more negatively tilted than this morning, so something to watch. I don't think you can 100% write it off.  That's why it's still up for debate.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

Posted
26 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Confused by the posts in past 30 mins. We have went from UKMO looking good/interesting post 144hr to next post saying no blocking possible in next 16 days to good cold pool of -4 around east England then to round it off next post saying "awful charts, worse than 2015". Onto ECM it is... which won't be much help I would imagine.

It is confusing, problem is, the charts are not looking great at face value, what you have is opinions on where the situation could evolve to at any given point. When you look at the GEFS for example, there are a huge range of options on the table. The operational run is virtually just another perturbation in the ensembles and until we get a good fix on where we are heading,  it will stay that way. There are still a good few points during the runs where things could take a different turn, even quite early on. Until the models can agree, you won't see any agreement from the members in here. Mind you, you probably won't see much even when they (the models) do!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

gfs-5-192.png?12  gfs-5-96.png?12

Just took a moment to look at how the trough disruption next Wed has evolved. Seems the model saw that it could happen from a good distance out, but way underestimated the southward turn of the jet. Interesting that we've seen that trough sharpen up despite the Atlantic jet being adjusted to something flatter and stronger. 

The ridge to the NE has improved markedly - not a bad example of the usual model bias it would seem. I say seem because the ECM 00z still lacked much of a high there and UKMO falls short as well due to the different handling of the shortwave +72 to +96 hours. If the high was further west and we had a quick easterly import on the cards I imagine a fair few of us would be going a bit berserk :crazy:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
30 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

OK- so that isn't a particularly impressive block but I ask you...was the Jan 2013 block impressive in terms of absolutes? No.

Also I'm highlighting it because such a scenario (with much more impressive MSLP numbers) has been floating around the GEFS for a couple of days. 

I genuinely do not know whether your aim on this forum is to act as forum WUM but you do sometimes convey a strong sense of wanting to be so.

You're saying what many people are thinking crewe. Have just now checked out the 12z and this is a pretty good ending! I should think there is plenty to be positive about this evening. Although for balance a miserable ending on 06z gfsp. Chin up people, onwards and upwards.

gfs-0-384 (3).png

gfs-1-384.png

gfs-0-384 (4).png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beebs longer range forecast shows 2 options beyond the 16th

One is for reasonably mild south westerlies and cloud the other is for colder south easterlies bringing the risk of frog and fog

The GFS ens seems to be going with option A so far                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   gens-21-1-264.pnggens-21-1-312.pnggens-21-1-360.pnggens-21-1-384.png

456434.png5746546.png

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The beebs longer range forecast shows 2 options beyond the 16th

One is for reasonably mild south westerlies and cloud the other is for colder south easterlies bringing the risk of frog and fog

The GFS ens seems to be going with option A so far                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   gens-21-1-264.pnggens-21-1-312.pnggens-21-1-360.pnggens-21-1-384.png

456434.png5746546.png

gensnh-1-1-336.png

Something like this

or this

gensnh-2-1-372.png

This even

gensnh-5-1-252.png

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 2

Posted

Take a look at the 00z vs the 12z GFS. Lets imagine we all lived around the Croatia area or thereabouts...... within 12 hours at T150ish we have lost some very cold 850s which have been replaced by a markedly less cold flow and to be frank nothing that exciting! The longwave pattern and overall theme is similar but the details make all the difference. This just highlights how fickle the Op runs (and associated ens" for each run can be at this range without a clear and consistent trend) Calling anything past 144 without a solid signal is futile IMO.

00z

GFSOPEU00_159_2.png

12z

GFSOPEU12_159_2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Also quite a difference from yesterday's ECM 12z for 16th and today's... 

ECH1-144.GIF?10-0 ECH1-168.GIF?12

With changes that big within a suite at day 6 it seems daft to obsess about outcomes at longer ranges. 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Take a look at the 00z vs the 12z GFS. Lets imagine we all lived around the Croatia area or thereabouts...... within 12 hours at T150ish we have lost some very cold 850s which have been replaced by a markedly less cold flow and to be frank nothing that exciting! The longwave pattern and overall theme is similar but the details make all the difference. This just highlights how fickle the Op runs (and associated ens" for each run can be at this range without a clear and consistent trend) Calling anything past 144 without a solid signal is futile IMO.

00z

GFSOPEU00_159_2.png

12z

GFSOPEU12_159_2.png

Im going to quote myself here lol!! Just imagine if those cold 850s down towards Greece/Croatia were set to hit the UK on yesterdays Ops... think of all the posts in here that would have been firing on all cylinders! Now look at the latest ECM option for that area...just makes you take note yea. Without consistency in the mid term its best to absorb the data without expectation and be open to changes.

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM following GFS ens by going for a southwesterly to return so we're likely to see quite a bit of cloud keeping temps mild towards the end we could well see more in the way of frost as pressure builds over the UK and cutting off the milder flow

ECMOPEU12_168_2.pngECMOPEU12_192_2.pngECMOPEU12_216_2.pngECMOPEU12_240_2.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted

At least ecm looks mainly dry under the influence of that euro high on steroids!Granted for high lat blocks its as bad as it gets but id rather dry and mild than this drizzle ...in any event we are literally as far away from cold uppers as we could possibly be.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I don't think this done yet more changes to come im not giving up yet lets see what the pub run comes up with.:)

IMG_1292.PNG

IMG_1293.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

I think this ECM run should make us realise that FI is FI. When was the last time you saw a 1040HP over the SE of England? ...... and in winter?...

Models are obviously struggling somewhere, if this verifies then... well..ECH1-216.GIF?10-0

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Ok I think I'm ready to give up on the first scandi heights after seeing the ECM. Onto the next 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Ok I think I'm ready to give up on the first scandi heights after seeing the ECM. Onto the next 

Karlos, think we are looking at T96 at the min, no further.

Edited by Stuie W
Name
  • Like 4

Posted

Very confusing that the ecm switched to the scandi high potential yesterday after having none of it and has now ditched it again completely! Quite bizarre. I will wait for the ensembles and see what they show.

• Like 1