Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Why did I have to look? :wallbash:

Temps dropping as from a week from now - some potential ice days and the perma frost will be setting in....!

uksnowrisk.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
8 hours ago, Banbury said:

close off December and hope months 2 and 3 are filled with something , though aren't they the months the PV is to get going

Yes, we still have that to look forward to:reindeer-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I don't think models look to bad south east of uk looking calm dry frost as move further on. The north west looks little more unsettled at times with a south westerly but south westerly never gets in to the south east so it's north west / south east split. Then Christmas period looks like there's a battle ground no snow yet .  But low to west high to east maybe some colder air coming in from east I think this much better then last December endless storms the meto have had this nalled still got plenty of time for for cold and snowy surprises if there was any cold with snow on way I bet meto would be first to see  long before we do I could be wrong on that but as for me love trying to forecast the weather.

IMG_1300.PNG

• Like 2

Posted

The AO value the coming 10 days is still very doubtful but 60% of them wants it to get even more positive and 40% on the colder side, still no real signs of any real cold or powerful high pressure around my area or  the north Atlantic. Something tells me this will be the 4th green christmas in a row

AO value.png

• Like 3

Posted

I really hope the tropical forcing is the same pattern in summer:) let's hope ENSO has a gradual El Niño next year and the zonal winds play ball. At least the ECM shows the dry scene continuing for now with LP well to the north baroclinic line.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Once again Im 'somewhat' encouraged by output going forward tbh.

Orientation/placement of HP' is far from resolved from midweek and certainly beyond.

Its micro scale globally yet massive for our part.some small alignment s and its a world of difference to our meteorology on all basis' s.

I have a gut feeling that in 2/3 days the models (cross) couls swing the pendulum in favor of significant differences in our part for something less benign' and something far more favorable! 

gfs-0-192-1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

That's how I see it too;

EDM1-144.GIF?11-12   EDM1-192.GIF?11-12   EDM1-240.GIF?11-12

It looks like we will get a strong enough build of heights to push fronts away from the UK, we would likely see an unconventional NW/SE split with the coldest weather in the south east with milder south westerlies in the north west. Uncertainty begins around day 9/10 when the next Atlantic trough approaches and again it seems the ECM ens flatten the pattern whilst the GEFs seem more keen on the high to hold firm. How cold and how widespread this gets is uncertain but temperatures by the end of next weekend could very well be falling to low/mid single figures in the south.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
54 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

I don't think models look to bad south east of uk looking calm dry frost as move further on. The north west looks little more unsettled at times with a south westerly but south westerly never gets in to the south east so it's north west / south east split. Then Christmas period looks like there's a battle ground no snow yet .  But low to west high to east maybe some colder air coming in from east I think this much better then last December endless storms the meto have had this nalled still got plenty of time for for cold and snowy surprises if there was any cold with snow on way I bet meto would be first to see  long before we do I could be wrong on that but as for me love trying to forecast the weather.

IMG_1300.PNG

That is a good looking chart, with the high over Scandinavia drifting west and the trough looking to slip south east. Potential in that one ! 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

And glosea ! (Apparently)

Blocked sounds good to me blue, i assume eps and gefs have the jet roaring away somewhere between scotland and iceland.We DESPERATELY need some help in the Atlantic sector down the line or the block will sink eventually, looking for some GP input wrt mjo etc ..

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Looking at GFS det run and the GEFS anomalies thus morning indicates (to me anyway) a drift towards the ecm and less, or none at all, blocking. However there still so much uncertainty about the evolution best just put in the pending file.

Could be true in the long term. Interesting that the GEFS trumped the ECM ens completely in the current T168/T192 period - ECM consistently had a flatter pattern before this weekend, while GEFS had strong high pressure nudging into the SE. Models now adopting the GEFS position and strengthen it further. The signal of a 1030mb high has proved a significant signal again.

Edit: SS and BA you beat me to it!!

And yes I have taken note - Glossea's forecast for blocking mid-December looking good. Another instance where Glossea has got it right* 2-3 weeks out. Impressive! (*Assuming it works out!!!)

Using the same theory of looking for the 1030mb mean high, we see by D11 that the high is sinking into Europe

gens-21-1-264.png

Suggesting either a return to a SWly influence, or possibly a continuation of continental influence for England/Wales if the high maintains even greater strength. But very low chance of snowy cold by this stage.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Looking at GFS det run and the GEFS anomalies thus morning indicates (to me anyway) a drift towards the ecm and less, or none at all, blocking. However there still so much uncertainty about the evolution best just put in the pending file.

Hmmmm, not according to matt hugo, not saying you are wrong but he is suggesting the opposite!

• Like 3

Posted

Just out of interest here is what the UKMO was predicting for today, 5 days ago.

UN144-21.gif

And the GFS 5 days ago-

gfsnh-0-144-2.png

And the ECM 5 days ago

ECH1-144.gif

And today's actual chart-

gfsnh-0-6-1.png

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I think Knocker is looking further ahead than Matt

No idea, he said gfs\gefs have moved to ecm with little or no blocking, matt just tweeted something along the lines of looks like gefs were right and eps now look blocked?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Hmmmm, not according to matt hugo, not saying you are wrong but he is suggesting the opposite!

I think we can get lost in the anomalies and the reality. For instance the D10 ECM mean anomalies suggest close to a Scandi HP, yet in reality its the continuation of the Euro High:

EDM101-240.gifEDM1-240.gif

To me that is not a block per se and although the further SE you are the greater influence from the continental drift, the jet is running to the north UK bringing in milder temps and rain. Same for the GEFS mean:

gens-21-5-240.pnggens-21-1-240.png

The Euro high stretches its reach further NW on this D10 mean.

So surface cold but as for wintry potential it remains a poor setup for snow & even real cold uppers, just inversion and continental flow. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Did I really just read that right? GLOSEA5 and EC now going for blocking! :cc_confused: 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Did I really just read that right? GLOSEA5 and EC now going for blocking! :cc_confused: 

Yes, but not high latitude blocking...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

becoming a bit of a borefest now the model and nhp output.its amazing once this set up is in place that you almost know whats coming before you check the models!!id love to hear from some of the pros ete how or when they think a change arrive???.

• Like 3