Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

i have a feeling that over the next few days the models will move more towards a proper Scandy High, this then allowing a cold pool to develop and move Westwards into the South of the UK

East Anglia could be seeing a proper white Xmas with frequent snow showers.

Watch this space and watch a turn around in the models starting tomorrow  

That's a bold call Timbo, but then we've seen a few of them historically by members (who have got it very wrong),  so I see no reason why you shouldn't have a punt:good: 

heres hoping you've nailed it :drunk:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

Steve, the  Berlin charts show the zonal flow at 60N pretty consistent over the next 10 days. the increase above 10hpa really not working down. There is an uptick at day 10 at 10hpa but unknown if that would work its way down as yet. certainly a lack of any reversal  through the NH  north of 40 but no great uptick of zonal flow below 15 hpa as yet. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 hour ago, Nouska said:

If you look at the last ECM46 ensemble mean chart (Christmas week) for 500-1000 thickness - you can see why models are having such difficulties in solution. Such a narrow corridor between quite extreme thickness values and just tiny oscillations in the pattern give very different outcomes as surface conditions.

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_gh500-1000_anom_20

It could be some time before this is resolved.

For sure but it isn't just the detail, within the ensembles we are seeing swings from Atlantic dominance to dominant blocking not an ebb flow to where the trough/block sets up. 

Op and control have been a little more consistent but that consistency hasn't really lasted beyond 2 or 3 runs as yet and again I don't mean detail (wouldn't expect that at those ranges) I am talking longwave pattern overall. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
14 minutes ago, Timbo said:

i have a feeling that over the next few days the models will move more towards a proper Scandy High, this then allowing a cold pool to develop and move Westwards into the South of the UK

East Anglia could be seeing a proper white Xmas with frequent snow showers.

Watch this space and watch a turn around in the models starting tomorrow  

You must have a  Crystal  Ball then  I just checked meto there going with a backtrack in models with very cold temperatures and blizzards hit south east England next weekend.:rofl:

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Steve, the  Berlin charts show the zonal flow at 60N pretty consistent over the next 10 days. the increase above 10hpa really not working down. There is an uptick at day 10 at 10hpa but unknown if that would work its way down as yet. certainly a lack of any reversal  through the NH  north of 40 but no great uptick of zonal flow below 15 hpa as yet. 

Hi mate

its slow but remember its scaled at 10M/S & @ 60N there isnt a huge range

check out the lower levels going slowly from 20 towards 30- a 'moderate' increase...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
49 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Can we talk about anomalies

a high anomaly north of the uk needs to be intense to represent a proper area of high heights as standard climatology has fairly low heights in that area. Conversely, a weak looking high anomoly south of the uk could easily represent white high heights as we would usually find quite high heights to reside there.

looking at the CFS chart above, the high anomoly is north of the uk and this then weakens as we head south into Europe. The reality of this would be a fairly large area of highish heights spread from e Greenland down to se Europe. tough to say exactly where it's strongest at 500hpa but what's certain is that it wont be that large an area come verification. Coldies would want to see it further north and non existent further south allowing a flow east of south and strong enough to advect cold west. The circular shape of most intense variation from normal could offer a clue as to where it may be favoured but we have no idea of if the ridge will extend west towards greeny or se into Europe.  as ever, the heights over Europe are IMO critical to chances of deep cold and snowfall. 

Mucka, not sure I see the GEFS flip flopping that much. They are moving the position of most intense anomoly around but the broad theme is blocked around w Europe. 

Is it though?

gensnh-2-1-348.pnggensnh-5-1-360.pnggensnh-6-1-348.pnggensnh-9-1-336.pnggensnh-10-1-384.pnggensnh-12-1-384.pnggensnh-14-1-372.pnggensnh-15-1-384.pnggensnh-19-1-360.pnggensnh-20-1-336.png

And many others show blocking UK or Atlantic not Sceuro blocking.

If you check like for like 00z and 06z Blue it is very clear 06z are much flatter than the 00z and the 00z actually had a lot more HLB rather than just Sceuro high.

Sure the overall predominant theme may be +ve anomaly NW Europe, hence my thoughts on how Xmas may play out, but the swings in the ensembles are very evident and where any positive height anomalies set up far more volatile than seems to being suggested in the posts I am responding to.

I'm pretty confident 12z will swing back again toward 00z suit but we will see.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

Far too much shifting in the output, for one to have an idea how things will unravel at day 6/7 at a stretch. The 18z from last night did bring in some very cold continental air into E - which is plausible, a marked drop in 850mb temps & theta-E, sub 10c for parts of SE/EA now that is properly cold. All down to the orientation of the high, small changes, will have have a large effect, on the surface conditions. I've seen in winters gone, how a strong signal fade, not that we've particularly seen that, and then reemerge within t72-96 with a vengeance. A frustrating time of model watching, but surely the Devils spine is going to break soon, or a sacrifice indeed may be needed, any volunteers?:D

image.png

• Like 6

Posted

I'm wondering whether there might be another opportunity to get the high further north and also whether there might be some changes towards day 8 to 10.

This centres around a change in output upstream from both the ECM/GFS its in relation to a shortwave which briefly amplifies over the eastern USA,which helps to develop that ridge ahead,as this shortwave travels east it phases with the PV lobe this then helps to pull some of that away from southern Greenland. If you follow the ECM from T168hrs you can see that occur; unfortunately the amplification doesn't last long but just something to keep an eye on.

ECH1-192.gif

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 6z parallel gives us hope of a SE drift at day 7.  Not a million miles away from last night's 18z.  Lower pressure to the west of Italy helping to advect the colder air east...

gfsnh-0-168.png?6

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, mulzy said:

GFS 6z parallel gives us hope of a SE drift at day 7.  Not a million miles away from last night's 18z.  Lower pressure to the west of Italy helping to advect the colder air east...

gfsnh-0-168.png?6

Hi where can I view GFS parallel can't see to find on net weather thanks.

Posted
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Hi where can I view GFS parallel can't see to find on net weather thanks.

Here you go-

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=0&ech=6&runpara=1&carte=1

• Like 2

Posted

Day 4 and high over Scandy looking stronger and slightly further North 

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Thank you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

That's quite a difference 12z to 06z 

IMG_4009.PNGIMG_4010.PNG

Small window of opportunity for favourable corrections now! But stranger things have happened!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted

Something for the weekend sir/madam?

gfsnh-0-150.png?12

Not quite but things that make you go, "hmmmm"

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, radiohead said:

Looking at the 12Z GFS rolling out....Is that low sliding.....?

Its a better run and a tiny bit of energy sent south but if it doesn't re-phase it looks like it will still fill so no better in 8 or 9 day range, whether it delivers in FI remains to be seen.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Hang on!!!   -  might be better than I thought, just enough energy sent south to keep the run alive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/topkarten.aspx?map=2&model=gfs&var=1&run=12&time=135&lid=OP&h=0&tr=3#mapref

we need the high over scandi to be further north and I would expect the trough disruption would be better but more positive than the earlier runs 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, radiohead said:

12Z GFS was a step in an interesting direction even though sliding low eventually failed on this run. GEFS will be interesting.

FI will be interesting. The best FI synoptics have tended to follow the slightly more amplified closer time frames.

• Like 3