Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
47 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Strong jet flying out of Canada, never good news

As long as it isn't powering through the UK and giving us a repeat of the 2013/14 abomination of a winter season.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

finally, looking at the ecm op day 10, a good place for a white Xmas this year might be ........

Bethlehem! 

By the looks of things even Port Sudan!. Sidney's Sudanese cousins are getting their bootees out/

• Like 1

Posted

Barbecue time on both ECM and GFS in the run up to Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If the GFS verifies, a three-week-long bore fest would ensue...Wake me up in March please?:D 

Agreed Pete, if verifying as we are seeing a seriously dreadful start to winter for wintry episodes.  THE SLUG looks entrenched

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

Got too say, too me there is increase trend for the jet stream to finally ride over any Scandi high/Euro block and we end up with the worse ever charts coldies can hope which is very mild SW'lies pumping through the UK all the way into Scandi with a very strong PV over Canada, ECM and GFS have both more or less shown this on many runs now but fortunately its still a little too far out to be sure.

I think for time being, it looks like things will cool down but it will never be cold and I think frosts will be limited to say the least. No doubt we are in a rut but there is some hope with the projected Scandi high but as per seem t be the case for the past 3 or so weeks, any blocking is not going to retrogress favourably for us. There has been so many missed opportunities for us giving the cold pool to the East of us and I fear if the longer term ECM/GFS is right then you can kiss goodbye to that pool and it will be business as usual.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Further to my earlier post the latest charts still point to me a mild windy maybe rainy Christmas day.  Also to the person who was rude earlier and said my Geography was bad , well to me and as i mentioned earlier most of Europe does look mild to me...

2016-12-10 11_24_08-GFS Weather Charts - updated four times daily - Netweather.tv - Opera.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

ecmt850.216.png

Despite appearances at 850 hPa, only the yellows over N. Ireland and Scotland represent mild conditions at the surface (it's the mild sector of a low getting entrained into the circulation). The yellows to the south are upper level 'warmth' generated by interaction of the SE flow with the Alps - at the surface it's proper chilly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Barbecue time on both ECM and GFS in the run up to Christmas.

Huh? Showing max temps of between 7-13C depending on location, hardly super warm?! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
2 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Rtavn27617.gif

Rtavn30017.gif

Rtavn32417.gif

Rtavn34817.gif

Come off it , its not that mild

Those are for 6pm, after dusk; they are mild for some. 12c at 6pm is mild, in fact very mild!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

ECM was pretty much at the top of the ensembles up to the 17th where it then sits in the middle of the pack. Destinct scatter thereafter with no clear signal, although to my eye, the milder solutions just about outweigh the colder ones. But I've seen a lot worse ensembles for sure.

IMG_4004.GIF

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

Those are for 6pm, after dusk; they are mild for some. 12c at 6pm is mild, in fact very mild!

Ok

For 90% of the population its not mild its seasonal infact some at 4c is rather chilly id say  , for the Western parts of the UK its milder.

• Like 3

Posted

Well the charts don't seem to be leaning cold at all this morning (Easterly) - another blip or has the signal finally gone  - for cold before Xmas anyway. Dissapointing 

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
4 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

If it's 7c outside the last thing on my mind is "shall we do a barbecue"? My missus would punch me if I made that kind of suggestion in December at such temperatures and rightly so. 

Post of the day..................humour thrown in as it should be :D

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Don't think the block to east is not going to be blowen away Iike what GFS is doing more like a battleground hp to east low to the west .  No snow.

IMG_1288.PNG

Edited by abbie123

Posted
Just now, abbie123 said:

Don't think the block to east is going to blowen away Iike what GFS is doing more like a battleground hp to east low to the west .  No snow.

IMG_1288.PNG

We need that High to move further North West if where to have any chance of snow, it would be good to hear @Glacier Point views on were he thinks we sit now.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

No, they're the maximum temperatures for the 6 hours leading up to 6pm.

Are you sure?

This is then the 6 hours from 12 midnight to 6am minimum temp: Rtavn36017.gif

Is that cold or mild?

11 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

As usual IDO you are painting the mildest slant on what is actually shown. Perhaps if you showed the Met O values for mid December for various places and the predicted value, as has been pointed out to you, the maximum value between 12 and 1800 Z, folk could make their own mind up on the correct terminology?

I say it as I see it. For late December that is not cold for some, its mild. The vagaries of your location may favour less mild but these charts are not promoting cold. Christmas Day max temps courtesy of the 06z (7c is historical max London, so cooler elsewhere):

Rtavn37217.gif

Edited by IDO

Posted

Come on IDO, the charts you mentioned only had Cornwall showing 12c, the London ECM graph is revealing re the GFS op temps.

you would do better to reference the nighttime temps to illustrate your point high I see you have 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

If it's 7c outside the last thing on my mind is "shall we do a barbecue"? My missus would punch me if I made that kind of suggestion in December at such temperatures and rightly so. 

LOL, that reminds me of living in Canada - the strange sight of the hubby outside, dressed in parka and salopettes, tending the BBQ while wife and kids indoors, all cosy, awaiting the delicious feast being prepared for them.

Nope, I'll be in Surrey - no BBQs there - look at the theta E and any ideas of that should be quickly dismissed. :)

• Like 7