Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

Personally, i suspect ecm will go on to be cold after 240 but not the deep cold from the east, more an inversion cold as we see an extensive southern scandy/Benelux block.For me there is to much energy going over the top to allow for a true scandy high.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
2 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Nope stunning Scandi high, bitter easterly with astonishingly low temps, followed by a classic boundary attack which can brilliant results.

This is the Scandi high in Question from the 12Z. -10 850's, easterly / south easterly winds

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 19.19.07.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, Banbury said:

No GFS 12z , ends up with a massive Easterly

its 14 days away !!!! granted it looks ok but more chance of elvis doing a gig in sheffield!!! lol

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It is not potent and not sustained before it topples/sinks.

2nd attempt going the same way unless you believe the GFS over ECM/UKMET

Will the third amplification bring in an Easterly though? More runs needed

1st Northerly not potent? Uppers ranging from -5 to -10 looks pretty potent to me although the GFS does tend to overdo the uppers but the fact is, its a pretty strong Northerly to my eyes if albeit rather brief affair.

I do agree there still not much sign of HLB unless you believe the GFS which as we know tends to overdo blocking situation in the medium to longer range. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Personally, i suspect ecm will go on to be cold after 240 but not the deep cold from the east, more an inversion cold as we see an extensive southern scandy/Benelux block.For me there is to much energy going over the top to allow for a true scandy high.:)

Agreed. The pivot of the UK high is to far South, for a true Easterly we would want the high to pivot at least as far North as the Northern Isles, in this case the pivot is over the UK, the coldest air would therefore be France bound.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

What worries me about the ecm is that the day 9 and 10 charts often end up being way too amplified. This has happened a few times this season. I remember commenting on one of it's day 10 charts a few weeks ago. It showed a jan 47 esq chart with the UK high migrating to meet it's arctic cousin. The reality was very different. I am now expecting high pressure to be situated over the UK in 10 days time and it could stick there for quite some time. Here in lies the problem with this winter - no appetite for "enough" amplification. Note the word "enough". At least it will be cold though. All this ties in with the last few meto updates.

Posted
9 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I think that extent of WAA and position and angle of the building block is better with the ECM at T+240 than the GFS at the same time frame. And look what the GFS produced from there. The ECM would nudge everything a bit further west. All FI conjecture of course. I like all output tonight - even the UKMO at T+144 I think that would drag the block further west still (eventually)

If the ecm was bias corrected, I bet that WAA up through Iceland would be much less pronounced or even non existant.

Posted
28 minutes ago, knocker said:

Huge potential!

ecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.png

With high pressure dominating between days 6-10, it will be cold at the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
37 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Whilst the GEFS chop and change their orientation with each run, the eps seem pretty consistent with their op. The run pretty well as I expected it and I don't think that ridge will back much further west tomorrow mucka (though a few hundred miles feasible) 

the trough over n America at day 8/9 much sharper than the previous run and drives that Atlantic trough downstream a bit further south than might be likely. Whilst the op fits with the ens, it's good for later week 2 re the undercutting of the ridge. 

Joking aside, you may well be right Blue, depends on how quickly we drain those Euro heights and orientation of ridge but a few hundred miles is all we need. :bomb:

Personally I believe there is enough wiggle room to get that few hundred miles we need to draw in colder uppers later.

I hope so because rather jam tomorrow Northerly than jam next week Easterly though it is nice to have the potential easterly as a fall back in case the pattern is forced East and the Northerly is short lived.

Of course the dream is to get prolonged N/NE flow followed by the Easterly.

I will be watching the mornings outputs nervously to see if the UKMO gets on board and GFS, ECM maintain the theme - as you say backing the pattern West would be a bonus to any renewed amplification.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
32 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Nope stunning Scandi high, bitter easterly with astonishingly low temps, followed by a classic boundary attack which can brilliant results.

Astonishly low? It looks cold I'll give you that but is that not a little hyperbolic? Please don't take this as a dig, just trying tobe realistic.

• Like 1

Posted

First post since Christmas and what a complex situation we have now. The constant west to east jet stream in December and the high over Europe constantly trying to extend westwards to no avail has at last been binned and we have now a completely new set up to work on. In my opinion i am finding  it really difficult to predict what will happen next,but all the models are predicting some sort of cool/cold spell but how cold and how persistent   is the real question. The first colder spell from January1st looks certain but i expect it to be just a normal cold snap with some snow showers in far north and down the east coast. The key to a longer more severe cold spell is this high pressure in the Atlantic.Thankfully low pressure near the Azores should stop the high sinking and maybe drifting in to France ( worst possible route allowing the jetstream to be similar to December).

By far the best way to a lengthy severe spell are for heights to develop over Greenland and hopefully this should encourage the Atlantic high to ridge northwards and build in  intensity, strong enough to   either split the jetstream and sending low pressures to west of Greenland or deflect the jet  much further south. If this happened then because of little heights over Europe the lows to the north of the British Isles would drift over Scandinavia and maybe in to North Europe resulting in possibly a very large unstable north and north easterly airstream, so many possibilities of severe cold from this position. Scandinavian High! Polar troughs! would be mouthwatering

What happens in the next 7 days i think could decide our weather for January. All i can say its great model watching. The building blocks are there but lots of luck required as usual for our islands.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
44 minutes ago, West is Best said:

A case of 1947 type snow events on the 6z and a carbon copy of Feb 1991 on the 12z! Couldn't ask for a better choice really! 

The ECM run could've been much much worse too. The 240 timeframe shows a loaded gun of sub -20 uppers ready to be blasted out of scandi to my viewing. 

• Like 6

Posted
40 minutes ago, swfc said:

its 14 days away !!!! granted it looks ok but more chance of elvis doing a gig in sheffield!!! lol

of course it is 14 days away no one is disputing it wont occur , we could say that about most charts beyond 144 but as its the MOD thread WIB mentioned it

Onwards and upwards old boy

• Like 4

Posted
43 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

What worries me about the ecm is that the day 9 and 10 charts often end up being way too amplified. This has happened a few times this season. I remember commenting on one of it's day 10 charts a few weeks ago. It showed a jan 47 esq chart with the UK high migrating to meet it's arctic cousin. The reality was very different. I am now expecting high pressure to be situated over the UK in 10 days time and it could stick there for quite some time. Here in lies the problem with this winter - no appetite for "enough" amplification. Note the word "enough". At least it will be cold though. All this ties in with the last few meto updates.

I really don't think this has happened since the upgrade at the end of November, though - if anything, it has under-amplified on occasions (ok, all bar one run which split the vortex quite ridiculously). It looks like it will have made excellent calls on both of the upcoming northerlies from way out at D9/D10. So I see no reason why it is going to be far off tonight

• Like 2