Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

If anyone cares, the 6z GFS is a horror show of gales and low pressure. Nothing like ECM or UKMO. Someone is very wrong here!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

If anyone cares, the 6z GFS is a horror show of gales and low pressure. Nothing like ECM or UKMO. Someone is very wrong here!!

Yes - none of the Ops are right as yet

the ecm mean heights (not anomolies) was good guidance a couple weeks ago and I would propose that's where you look for the time being if you need an answer 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Yes - none of the Ops are right as yet

the ecm mean heights (not anomolies) was good guidance a couple weeks ago and I would propose that's where you look for the time being if you need an answer 

So what is the answer BA?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 hours ago, Seasonality said:

I'd think your post-graduate qualification in meteorology justifies your 'banging on' :hi: most of the rest of us are just rank amateurs who like watching forecast model output. 

Haha cheers - I suppose someone's got to do it :D. Some years ago I was just as most on here are now, and enjoying the ride without having to worry about the implications for locations here, there and everywhere (just my own back  yard!) - I've had a lot of extra headaches this season :pardon::laugh:

GFS 06z of no help whatsoever as it keeps the western N. Atlantic trough flatter while also having the low to our N taking longer to clear, meaning less of a gap for those slight height rises that ECM and UKMO show as the shortwave low runs/slides ESE across or near far-S UK on its way to Europe. This also being something GFS fails to produce - you can really see how subtle changes can have major knock-on effects.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Standard Gfs output when a cold block is involved and small pockets of height rises.

Watch the Gfs take until tomorrow's 12z before we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
17 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Standard Gfs output when a cold block is involved and small pockets of height rises.

Watch the Gfs take until tomorrow's 12z before we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Could be, of note is the GEFS that are just now rolling out. There are significant differences apparent in the short term involving the trough disruption which create big differences even this weekend with the European cold pool and the resultant downstream pattern. I am usually loath to ascribe to anecdotal 'lore' about the models, but the output by UKMO and ECM makes me question the veracity of the 06z's insistence on an Atlantic onslaught. The 12z output will certainly be interesting tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
Just now, bluearmy said:

:rofl:

Is that the number of possible scenarios? :D

Sorry mods - couldn't resist!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Could be, of note is the GEFS that are just now rolling out. There are significant differences apparent in the short term involving the trough disruption which create big differences even this weekend with the European cold pool and the resultant downstream pattern. I am usually loath to ascribe to anecdotal 'lore' about the models, but the output by UKMO and ECM makes me question the veracity of the 06z's insistence on an Atlantic onslaught. The 12z output will certainly be interesting tonight.

gensnh-4-1-168_kiq6.pngI just picked  one at random:D

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Helpful. 

As insightful as the 00z ops were Paul !

at some point either the blocking or the Atlantic have to run out of steam - coldies hope neither do and that the Atlantic undercuts the blocking close enough to the uk to bring snowfall

imo, its tough to foresee widespread sustained snowfall coming from this as it stands but the models are clearly struggling with both westward and eastward corrections at different latitudes and one wonders if this might be added to by the warming high up and how that impacts lower down as it forces chunks of stronger zonal flow into the lower strat/upper trop

getting closer to the initial strong warming so hopefully things will soon resolve 

• Like 3

Posted

Quite a surprise this morning re the ECM/UKMO with that little pressure rise to the north managing to deflect the jet further south. The GFS still not interested and the ECM ensembles not behind it so best to not get too excited until tonights outputs.

I really hope the Euros are right here, it would be great to see this trend accelerated.

• Like 5

Posted

There are a few GEFS from the 6z closer to the UKMO and ECM. On the 0z there really weren't anything you could say were looking the same at T144.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

So along with the more positive runs from the UKMO & ECM. We now have a handful of GFS ensembles running into a brick wall and showing some interest. Granted they are lower res, let's hope this kind of trend grows. The control looks better too.

7.png1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

FIM is interested 

??

Don't understand bluearmy,sorry.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

So along with the more positive runs from the UKMO & ECM. We now have a handful of GFS ensembles running into a brick wall and showing some interest. Granted they are lower res, let's hope this kind of trend grows. The control looks better too.

7.png1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

My understanding of the GEFS is that its only the control run that is at a lower resolution. The ensembles are at the same resolution as the Op, but with different data starting points. Happy to be corrected if not so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, jvenge said:

My understanding of the GEFS is that its only the control run that is at a lower resolution. The ensembles are at the same resolution as the Op, but with different data starting points. Happy to be corrected if not so.

I thought they were all at a lower resolution and control just has the same starting conditions as the op?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

I thought they were all at a lower resolution and control just has the same starting conditions as the op?

I'm sure someone will clear it up soon :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, jvenge said:

My understanding is the ensembles are lower resolution to the op with different starting points.

Posted
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

My understanding is the ensembles are lower resolution to the op with different starting points.

You are right. Googled it.