Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I think something fell last night, top of bin had blobs of wet on. But clear and sunny.  Got next door neighbours moving and i'm waving to the removal guy every times he peers in at me. All in good fun.. not.

Start of winter and the temps go up, you couldn't make it up really. But hey I have never seen snow during November actually at my location. Not in 40 odd years. \o/

Posted
56 minutes ago, Dami said:

Yes I do. I lost my mum during it. They couldn't get an ambulance to her and she didn't make it. But anyway moving on... 

That's rough, Dami. Really very sorry about that. A reminder to all that chasing cold should be tempered with thoughts for those who get ill / get old / are disabled.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

An absolute snore fest this northerly. I've said many times that by time it reaches us it has been modified so much so that 9 times out of 10 anything falling from

the sky will be cold rain. Hate hate hate. For some reason the East Kent coast always misses out even in more favourable conditions. I hope for a severe winter with sub zero temperatures and renewed outbreak of heavy snow 

Edited by snowfish1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Needs to be undoubtedly to be an easterly or north easterly to favour this region. Best ever snow events here on the east coast of Essex in my opinion and in my lifetime:

1. January 1987  2. Dec/Jan 81/82  3. Winter of 79  4. February 91  5. January/February 85 ( 1 or 2 others close to this). 

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
10 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

An absolute snore fest this northerly. I've said many times that by time it reaches us it has been modified so much so that 9 times out of 10 anything falling from

the sky will be cold rain. Hate hate hate. For some reason the East Kent coast always misses out even in more favourable conditions. I hope for a severe winter with sub zero temperatures and renewed outbreak of heavy snow 

Only in the UK it is possible to have a day that feels like -10 and rains....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Although Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs do ok sometimes with a Northerly or even a Northwesterly as we saw yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
52 minutes ago, snowray said:

Do you mean them channel lows that always just clip the south coast and produce copious snowfall in Northern France and The Benelux region?:D

Here we go again, 06z....

More mild sectors though embedded in there so probably be rain again.:crazy:

gfs-0-162.png

gfs-0-186.png

gfs-1-162.png

gfs-1-186.png

gfs-2-162.png

gfs-2-174.png

gfs-2-186.png

That rarely happens, to be fair. SE England gets more snow generally than N France. My brother lived there for 22 years and snow events were more frequent and heavier here. This could be our year, background signals are pretty encouraging and a number of places in our region have seen snow before winter even officially started :D 3 months is a long time!

• Like 3

Posted

Last good snow was 2013 in Worthing. School was cancelled and me and the family went to the local park. I tried sledding down a drift which didn't end out too well  . Cant wait to have some more proper snow!

since then, we've had a crispy icy cover, that's it!

this year is looking promising *touch wood*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I was a young lad then, so I may have a less than reliable recollection of it, but Jan 87 was the best snowfall I can remember, shower after shower piling in, building up the snow cover. Never seen drifts like it by the side of the A27. Properly cold as well.

Feb 91 is bittersweet as the snow coincided with my Father being seriously ill and I’ll never forget the nightmarish bus journeys up to Hayward’s Heath and back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
5 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

I saw more snow yesterday than i have for a few years.

To be fair Yarmouth did, but you only had to go few miles down the room and was sleet and rain, personally I think this cold spell was a bit of a overrated event in this area ! Again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
11 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

I saw more snow yesterday than i have for a few years.

i saw a cloud lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, Dami said:

Yes I do. I lost my mum during it. They couldn't get an ambulance to her and she didn't make it. But anyway moving on... 

Sorry to hear that, Dami.

Posted
16 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i saw a cloud lol

you're so lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
19 minutes ago, slater said:

To be fair Yarmouth did, but you only had to go few miles down the room and was sleet and rain, personally I think this cold spell was a bit of a overrated event in this area ! Again!

Didn't know you were jut up the road from me!  It's strange how the immediate coastal strip had snow yesterday, which is, of course, unusual due to the warming effect of the sea, while those of us inland had rain and sleet.

Posted

Thx all for your kind thoughts.  Hasn't put me off seeing snow and I hope bubs gets a nice fall this season so she can enjoy it. :D

• Like 4

Posted
13 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yes there is a really good thread, an inversion scuppered us and those polystyrene balls just blew along the road. The wonders of weather and thats why we love it!

I remember your analysis really well Paul, it was such an impressive read and it made me think what a knowledgeable forum this is. 2009 trumped 2010 here, the main road from the A3 through to Surbiton was completely snowed over in a way I haven't seen before or since.

Today we have a lovely crisp blue sky following a bit of a cloudy frost-free start. The radar showed snow over us yesterday evening even though nothing was visible outside, but my son was sent outside at college in Epsom to enjoy some small flakes that fell during the day while they were listening to Christmas music. I'll miss the polar air when it goes, it feels so seasonal; hope it makes a return soon.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, warrenb said:

If we do get a full on Easterly you will know what living in Kent in winter is all about.

Oh I know all about a good old easterly believe me.  I was living in my first house with no central heating in 1987.  The curtains froze to the windows inside it was so cold.  I had to use a broom from my upstairs windows to knock the icicles off my gutters as my front door opened straight onto the pavement.

My earlier comment was about the fact these last few years we have missed out on good snow events here as the warm air gets mixed into the lows before the get to us giving us rain instead of snow.  Even when it has started out as snow we soon get the familiar drip drip drip as it never seems to stay cold enough to keep snow on the ground for long these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Dami said:

Thx all for your kind thoughts.  Hasn't put me off seeing snow and I hope bubs gets a nice fall this season so she can enjoy it. :D

That's good, fingers crossed. Snow brings out the big child in most people and witnessing children see snow and getting mega excited is so much fun. Sorry to hear about what happened to your Mum.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

Even when it has started out as snow we soon get the familiar drip drip drip as it never seems to stay cold enough to keep snow on the ground for long these days.

That's happened a few times now, it's very annoying. Proper ice days are what's needed, like in the cold spells of the '80's and in '91. As soon as it starts to drip, I want it gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
4 hours ago, 80sWeather said:

Feb 1991 was epic. Had just started work aged 17 in Essex and remember going bezerk as Francis nonchalantly trotted this forecast for the day ahead. “Temps rising from minus 11 to a daytime high of minus 5”  !!!

Snowed two days solid to 13 inches where I was in Braintree. I remember cyling home 

from work with snow levels higher than the top of my bmx bike wheels

Love it , Love it

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

That's good, fingers crossed. Snow brings out the big child in most people and witnessing children see snow and getting mega excited is so much fun. Sorry to hear about what happened to your Mum.

thx SB. Always been a big kid at heart.:D

• Like 1