Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Im not concerning myself with mid Dec ...im not convinced the models have next week sorted yet...:)

I take your point but sometimes the models bizarrely enough can be more certain with the extended outcome but very uncertain as to how they arrive there. If feels like we are in one of those situations. I feel we will end up mild by mid December but the question is how we arrive at that point? Will it be preceded by a mid latitude toppler or a cold snap of sorts?

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Nick I think the shortwave spoilers occur because the longwave pattern isn't conducive, so the shortwaves will then appear at the wrong time / take the wrong track to deliver UK cold, I think all the pro's say this anyway, that the longwave pattern drives the shortwave pattern, however, please don't change your analytical style as its brilliant - its the best and simplest way to read the charts and understand what needs to happen to deliver UK setups that deliver cold IMO.

Very true. Sometimes though the models make problems that are not really there ie inventing annoying little shortwaves etc that mysteriously disappear on later output or get brushed aside by a longwave pattern conducive to northern blocking. More than happy with this afternoon and evening model output overall and fully expect to see a much improved ecm tomorrow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Are you allowed to post graphs of that?

I can't post them but I am referring to the debilt ens

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

So after 240, the ridge never gets any higher / more defined than the 240 mean?

Not sure of the specific synoptics. Waiting for the mean to update. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

model still showing the pacific ridge breaking through Alaska into the arctic..still keeps cropping up ...something to keep an eye on :cold:

12_384_mslp500arc.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, comet said:

Very true. Sometimes though the models make problems that are not really there ie inventing annoying little shortwaves etc that mysteriously disappear on later output or get brushed aside by a longwave pattern conducive to northern blocking. More than happy with this afternoon and evening model output overall and fully expect to see a much improved ecm tomorrow.

GFS - great, GEFS - great, ECM - poor but better than the 0z so heading in the right direction, ECM eps flaky though apparently, I can only see the 240 mean atm though but its average - 5/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

model still showing the pacific ridge breaking through Alaska into the arctic..still keeps cropping up ...something to keep an eye on :cold:

12_384_mslp500arc.png

I thought we'd all agreed back in 2014 to call it the Aleutian high when it was term of the year? :p

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthernRab said:

I thought we'd all agreed back in 2014 to call it the Aleutian high when it was term of the year? :p

This side of the Atlantic its called the Pacific ridge..like the Azores High

Posted

Further to my post above the EPS 8-13 mean anomaly has some ridging in mid Atlantic but much less amplified then the GEFS so no real suggestion of a split flow and thus a straight forward north westerly flow over the UK portending unsettled with temps a little below average.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM ensembles are out on weather.us - At D8, massively in favour of North Atlantic ridge / Scandi trough (i.e. northerly for UK). At D10, ensembles are split - probably slightly in favour of the ridge to the west remaining influential - maybe 30% are like the op with ridging to the south and lows over the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM ensembles are out on weather.us - At D8, massively in favour of North Atlantic ridge / Scandi trough (i.e. northerly for UK)

wow that's great news,  I'll happily take that considering what the 00z was showing this morning..hope tomorrow's 00z builds on tonight's 12z output!:santa-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

wow that's great news,  I'll happily take that considering what the 00z was showing this morning..hope tomorrow's 00z builds on tonight's 12z output!:santa-emoji:

Dont read to much into ensembles. They chop and change as quickly as the main output in my experience. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM ensembles are out on weather.us - At D8, massively in favour of North Atlantic ridge / Scandi trough (i.e. northerly for UK). At D10, ensembles are split - probably slightly in favour of the ridge to the west remaining influential - maybe 30% are like the op with ridging to the south and lows over the top.

Ive searched all through weather.us and I cant find these, can I have a link please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
12 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

This side of the Atlantic its called the Pacific ridge..like the Azores High

Alutien/pacific/western seabord...

@ridge all cover it.

Just depends on preference!

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

Alutien/pacific/western seabord...

@ridge all cover it.

Just depends on preference!

well whatever... its worth a watch..where it goes could have a big influence on what happens down stream..ie UK and Europe

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ive searched all through weather.us and I cant find these, can I have a link please?

On the drop down boxes, where it says "master", you'll find the ensembles within this drop down box. It doesn't do 500mb heights but does give surface pressure, so not quite the same.

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well a couple of fascinating tweets from well respected forecasters suggesting things might be getting interesting for coldies - both appear to be suggesting a locked in -NAO :)

do tell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks. The longwave gives us the bigger picture but as we know in the UK it’s often at the periphery of the cold , small changes have often bigger effects .

When we see for example a Scandi trough and high to the west the big picture doesn’t show whether the UK had a direct hit of cold or whether it’s too far east.

Globally a few hundred miles isn’t much in terms of the longwave pattern but has huge effects on the weather on the ground for the UK.

So true about how we forget how close we come to severe cold sometimes.2012 being a prime example of severe cold over eastern Europe and didly squat here.

archives-2012-2-5-0-0.png

archives-2012-2-5-0-1.png

romania_heavy_snow_01.jpg

• Like 2