Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
45 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Snow eased off again now but put about 50-60mm down.

the main road outside my house is atrocious with two Artic’s already having to give up and reverse back down the hill.

still no sign of a gritter though.s

Ian,

Couple of weeks ago strange situation of more snow in Summerseat than up in Rossendale. Normal service resumed today though!

Started at snow, then heavy rain, then a couple of hours of at times heavy wet snow. Only around 1-2cm, but enough for the kids to play in - 3rd time this month, more than the whole of the last few winters. No big event though for many years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
35 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Probably similar to me - it was pouring with rain and sleet at 7:30, then slept again and woke at 9 with a patchy covering!

There’s a lot of slush in the car park in work. Looks like it snowed at some point yeah!

Posted

Did that.... park your car at top it's gonna snow about 4 am thing again feel like such an idiot :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Where is this warm sector then? It’s supposed to be 5 to 6°C now but it’s only 2 and it’s been 1 all morning. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

Woke up at 5am ..looked out and saw rain. Got up at 9am still rain. have been reading through the posts from other South Manchester folk and read that they got a little bit of snow for a while but here in the ultimate snow dome of Chorlton...absolutely nothing...nada....zilch. At least I wasnt really expecting anything this time :nonono:

1 minute ago, Acupuncturist said:

Woke up at 5am ..looked out and saw rain. Got up at 9am still rain. have been reading through the posts from other South Manchester folk and read that they got a little bit of snow for a while but here in the ultimate snow dome of Chorlton...absolutely nothing...nada....zilch. At least I wasnt really expecting anything this time :nonono:

You can always drown your sorrows in the horse and jockey  :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Where is this warm sector then? It’s supposed to be 5 to 6°C now but it’s only 2 and it’s been 1 all morning. 

its waiting in the wings.. as soon as the wind picks up, you're getting 6 degrees... it will find you, hunt you down and make you feel even more worse than you already are ;)

On the other hand... The Met-Office has, I think, made an error of judgement regarding the position of the wind field on Saturday night into Sunday.. it will be much further south than their warning suggests, and I fancy it to cause problems in our region. 

Posted

An unexpected burst of heavy snow again, as heavy as it has been all morning, quickly removing and bare patches, turning into a half decent event now, these set ups can bring large totals to central lakes area, the power of evaporative cooling does the trick, air forced over the high central fells is cooled rapidly and central cumbria can retain its own patch of precipitation continuously even when frontal features have moved through - and that is what is happening now. Every chance it won't turn to sleet for a couple of hours or so, and so the snow should stay in situ through the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
39 minutes ago, Maz said:

Ian,

Couple of weeks ago strange situation of more snow in Summerseat than up in Rossendale. Normal service resumed today though!

Started at snow, then heavy rain, then a couple of hours of at times heavy wet snow. Only around 1-2cm, but enough for the kids to play in - 3rd time this month, more than the whole of the last few winters. No big event though for many years.

Yes you were slightly further south than me and when we seem to constantly find ourselves at the very northern edge of major snow events, even a few miles makes a difference to what we get.

back to today and even up here the dreaded drip, drip, drip has started so anyone who wants a snow fix needs to head high and quick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Ian 

i usually go up to Holcombe for a walk on the moors but with what you have been posting decided it was prob not worth it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Ian 

i usually go up to Holcombe for a walk on the moors but with what you have been posting decided it was prob not worth it. 

I can’t speak for Holcombe hill as it’s a few miles down the valley from me but although there should be a decent covering of snow, the ground isn’t frozen and the snow is the heavy wet type so it’s not going to be a classic winter walk by any means.

i need to venture out myself this afternoon over to Burnley but looking at the road conditions outside my house, I think i’ll leave it until later.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Was raining when I checked around 6ish, going by the posts then most places saw at least some snow falling from the sky, whether it did here or not I'm not too fussed but it goes to show how rotten your luck is when the North East is getting a all snow event from a frontal band coming in from the West! And despite an off shore wind, you get nothing of any note here.

I can see why this region is a rather depressing place to be in Winter, a lot of rain, not too much frost(although this winter has produced a bit of frosty/icy conditions) and wintry PPN quite rare even though it has happened a couple of times this winter. Still its a much better region for heat than the North East will ever be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Was raining when I checked around 6ish, going by the posts then most places saw at least some snow falling from the sky, whether it did here or not I'm not too fussed but it goes to show how rotten your luck is when the North East is getting a all snow event from a frontal band coming in from the West! And despite an off shore wind, you get nothing of any note here.

I can see why this region is a rather depressing place to be in Winter, a lot of rain, not too much frost(although this winter has produced a bit of frosty/icy conditions) and wintry PPN quite rare even though it has happened a couple of times this winter. Still its a much better region for heat than the North East will ever be!

For some perspective my location has had 1 (one) air frost this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

More snow tonight if NMM is to be believed 

Posted
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

For some perspective my location has had 1 (one) air frost this winter.

How many do you normally get?

I've had quite a number of frosts here in the city centre which is not usual although not severe frosts.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Yes coastal parts of the NW are not best placed for snowfall, proximity to Irish Sea being a critical factor, however, you never need to venture too far and you can see large totals of snow, in frontal situations when atlantic fronts move into cold air - indeed only need to go about 10 miles inland and you get snow, at least here in Cumbria, there is a major difference between here and Morecambe Bay. Take today we still have snow falling, and it looks like remaining as sleety snow for sometime. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Really depends on where you are in the region, eastern parts of the NW always fare better for snow, I'm just under 100m and still have a full covering of snow and this isn't the first one of the winter, just been out and it's treacherous under foot and by road with very slushy conditions.