Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
54 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Where is this warm sector then? It’s supposed to be 5 to 6°C now but it’s only 2 and it’s been 1 all morning. 

I did say earlier that it woukd be the case and we woukd have more snow tonight as resukt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Where is this warm sector then? It’s supposed to be 5 to 6°C now but it’s only 2 and it’s been 1 all morning. 

And it’s arrived. 5.7°C and climbing quickly. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
15 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

For some perspective my location has had 1 (one) air frost this winter.

4 here. :-)

Posted
3 hours ago, SP1986 said:

Made more bizarre by the fact the Flintshire hills which reach 300m asl got rain

So is that it just going to get rain then 

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted

Snow now stopped, we have a little light sleet fine rain, will see if the next bout of precipitation has a wintry flavour, it looks quite heavy and temps are not rising too fast- we shall see, could be a few hours of either cold rain, sleet or wet snow.. 

Posted

I think the next batch over the Irish sea will only be of snow above 300m. 

2.5cm here in Bingley.It looked good falling for about an hour but mainly light to moderate.

Another flatter to deceive I'm afraid.

Models showing signs of promise so all's not lost.

5 minutes ago, joggs said:

I think the next batch over the Irish sea will only be of snow above 300m. 

2.5cm here in Bingley.It looked good falling for about an hour but mainly light to moderate.

Another flatter to deceive I'm afraid.

Models showing signs of promise so all's not lost.

Depends on how saturated the air is ,I think 500  metres now this lot has arrived,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The western fells are looking green once again

Posted

1c slushy icy mess out.... still a lot colder than expected...was thinking it’d be 4/5c by now.... light sleety snizzle... must have snowed after I’d gone back to bed.... very icy when I’d just gone to get bin in... just yuck.... the hills around got a thick covering... by thick looks like 8-10cm... so not major snow.... disappointed that most of the precipitation was so light and sporadic here.... oh well no biggie if I missed out on 25cm etc I’d feel it more of a let down....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Nothing but sleety rain - what a surprise !!:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

nmm_uk1-1-8-0.png?

aromehd-1-2-0.png?29-11

nmmuk-1-2-0.png?29-12

arpegeuk-1-2-0.png?29-11

iconeu_uk1-1-2-0.png?

iconeu_uk1-1-2-0.png?

hirlamuk-1-8-0.png?

image?text=false&output=png&time=201712290900&type=radareuropa24uurwsg84&regio=euwide&w=578&h=560&sw=40|-24&ne=64|16&z=geobound&v=null&server=ws120api.weerslag.nl&googlemaps=1

unreal, if it went as all the models planned, it would have been a decent event for most, how can they get it so wrong!!

The last map is the radar at 0900 but for some reason you cant see the map of uk, the band is probably 200 miles further east than forecast

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted

Its also pouring down

Posted

Cold wet rain now, with the odd bits of sleet thrown in...making anything that looked white an hour of so ago, turn into slush ice grey.  Knowing that the temps are going to rise from now on, I wouldn't be too bothered if heavy rain washed it all away.

• Like 1

Posted

Weird in Manchester.

Was a temporary slight covering in the city centre this morning and there are still small piles of snow outside Piccadilly station. Nothing accumulated at home in South Manchester - the city centre is about 20m higher up than here so it can actually do better than here in this setup. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Fergie

’Yes, interesting turnaround from ECMWF monthly model yesterday (frm previous +ve to now -ve UK temp anomalies through fair stretch of Jan wks 1-3). There's been similar to-&-fro in recent GloSea runs & given all manner of conflicting signals/output, extended range confidence low!’

Posted
7 hours ago, SP1986 said:

Made more bizarre by the fact the Flintshire hills which reach 300m asl got rain

Shoddy forecasting 

Posted

Holy cow!!!! This is heavy!26B41E11-BE41-4BD2-B20C-625D235BE693.thumb.png.15a93687cf6e137a79abdf1f42158408.png

Posted

Tonight is still looking interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Warmer uppers have definitely moved in now.

just come back over the tops from Burnley and at 1400ft it was 2.5c and absolutely peeing it down, not even the slightest hint of sleet on the windscreen.

oh and the gritters are out in force again which around here normally means that any threat of snow has gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
18 minutes ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Tonight is still looking interesting.

How so? 

Posted

Oh well, the current bout of precipitation is of rain, washing the roads and paths into a slushy mess, its quite heavy as well, making for very unpleasant conditions. It still feels cold, suspect temp is hovering around 4 degrees, but it has the saturated feel about it.

Best snowfall since 16 Jan 2016, but not as good, we had about 3 inches then, and it froze through the night, only thawing the next day afternoon. Still it was enjoyable for a few hours this morning. You could tell how wet it was, as although it fell for a good 6-7 hours at a fair rate at times, on occasion it turned to sleet, and the totals never amounted to much, about 4cms tops. 

Hoping the start to Jan delivers a more pronounced spell of snow, one that doesn't quickly turn to rain and thaw.