Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Not looked for a while, but are there any decent radar apps out there.
Normally just look at the website ones at met office, netweather and meteoradar ones online.
Did try the rainradar app, but it was just awful.
Also tried Netweather radar, assume it might have something to do with here, but it did not work.
Or are the website ones the best ones?

Edited by lettice

Posted
13 minutes ago, lettice said:

Normally just look at the website ones at met office, netweather and meteoradar ones online.

I use the NW radar app..

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

I use the NW radar app..

I tried that, but nothing happens, just get a uk map with no radar info.
There are some funny xxx things at the top, no idea what that means.
It seems very basic if it did work.

Posted
1 minute ago, lettice said:

I tried that, but nothing happens, just get a uk map with no radar info.
There are some funny xxx things at the top, no idea what that means.
It seems very basic if it did work.

Ah, do you have access to NW extra, if so you get the extra detail as you have to login to view, it gives quite a lot of selections such as Precip type, lightning, animation, location zoom, postcode zoom and more..

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Ah, do you have access to NW extra, if so you get the extra detail as you have to login to view, it gives quite a lot of selections such as Precip type, lightning, animation, location zoom, postcode zoom and more..

No,
just downloaded the free one. It had a few ads popup.
Deleted it now as its not working at all on any of my iOS or Android devices I tried.

Posted

In a bid to reverse our fortunes,ive gone back to my old avatar,the one used when I got a free transfer from BBC Snow Watch FC,it was accurate,that was until the winters of 09 and 10,when it looked ridiculous.After nearly 7 and a bit years of very little snow its back to try and influence our weather,so ive not moved....just changed,now watch the snow come down in bucketloads lol

Posted

39 minutes ago, lettice said:

Also tried Netweather radar, assume it might have something to do with here, but it did not work.

I used to have the 'Home and Dry' app for IOS with radar and forecast maps etc. It does cost £3 but was worth it for me as I really liked it 
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/home-and-dry/id654608885?mt=8

I just wish they'd do an android version but they never have! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I’m feeling as deflated as everyone on the MAD thread today. Not convinced it’s going to happen and provide the goods we so badly crave! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, better start to the day around here, sunny with blue sky, just a tad breezy.

Dipped my toe in the mad thread, seems a choice between nirvana and an early spring are the likely end result of the SSW, personally speaking that sounds like a win/win to me. Either get properly cold and give us snow, or winter sod off and give us early spring, I'll take either if it means an end to the wet and grey weather that has dominated our winter down here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Squally shower of wet snow, sleet and then rain passed through here about 20 minutes ago, strong wind with it too.  Now blue skies and sunshine until the next one comes....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
11 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning all, better start to the day around here, sunny with blue sky, just a tad breezy.

Dipped my toe in the mad thread, seems a choice between nirvana and an early spring are the likely end result of the SSW, personally speaking that sounds like a win/win to me. Either get properly cold and give us snow, or winter sod off and give us early spring, I'll take either if it means an end to the wet and grey weather that has dominated our winter down here.

I'm with Jethro on this one, if we get loads of snow then great if not hello spring and some warmth.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, jethro said:

Lovely day today, much better than yesterday for sure.

I'm more than happy for some dry warm sunny weather, had enough of the dull grey rainy day's you get in Winter.

A nice warm dry early Spring would suit me fine - unless the SSW unleashes it's full winter nirvana on us of course. 

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Fantastic weather day. Constant showers of rain sleet hail and snow. Mind you less snow in the showers now as temperatures warm a little.

Winter ambition fulfilled earlier. Took the dog out for an early morning stomp. And noted cloud building from the west. Knew it would be snowy so headed up the nearest tor and was rewarded with a 5 minute blizzard. Excellent. Up at about 400 metres.

If you like your cloud formations. Dartmoor is your place today 

Hoping showers will continue into the evening as when the temperatures fall more and more showers will turn to snow.

Photo attached is the incoming shower which gave me the blizzard.

20180211_090504.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, jethro said:

They laughed at me when I said I reckoned the SSW would give us an early spring. It still might not but I live in hope.I really don't mind snow either but what I really dread is being stuck in another 2010 bitterly cold scenario with regular minus double figures at night.

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

They laughed at me when I said I reckoned the SSW would give us an early spring. It still might not but I live in hope.I really don't mind snow either but what I really dread is being stuck in another 2010 bitterly cold scenario with regular minus double figures at night.

The cold spring of I think 2013 is my worst nightmare. It was very cold and very dry and often dull with light snow grain blowing around. A total bust for me, while many others were getting buried in snow.

Certainly don't want that again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
6 minutes ago, SteveB said:

The cold spring of I think 2013 is my worst nightmare. It was very cold and very dry and often dull with light snow grain blowing around. A total bust for me, while many others were getting buried in snow.

Certainly don't want that again.

I'm with you 100% on that one, dry and very cold doesn't float my boat at all. 2013  didn't deliver here but there were parts that got buried further north.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, jethro said:

I'm with you 100% on that one, dry and very cold doesn't float my boat at all. 2013  didn't deliver here but there were parts that got buried further north.

2013 was a bitter pill to swallow, and not one I want to have again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Surprisingly, with a temp of 5.9°C, I just had a sleety shower, with the odd larger  flake thrown in for good measure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I guess at some point this week we'll all know which way the 'swingometer' is likely to swing, an early spring or an extended winter. Not long now folks......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Just got back from Blandford. At about 11:05am we had the most insane Snow Shower, lasted about 10 mins. Big flakes, and it went very cold very quickly! Kids loved it lol 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Just got back from Blandford. At about 11:05am we had the most insane Snow Shower, lasted about 10 mins. Big flakes, and it went very cold very quickly! Kids loved it lol 

Had a sleety shower here about the same time and the temperature dropped about 2°C in the space of a few minutes. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sleety shower in Exeter, some flakes blowing in the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Definitely a day of wintery showers!