Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Zilch in the way of showers here. Blooming cold though!

Posted

What a lovely blue sunny day today, 7.1°C
Quite breezy, 15-19mph W, with many 25-28mph gusts.

If you want snow, loads on the Olympics now falling, it started settling on the Luge track and may have thrown the shock medal result.

Posted

Radar is showing those showers SE of Oxford as rain.  They're not. They're a mix of snow, ice and hail and they sting!!! Been up on the ridgeway watching the showers and there are some cracking cloudscapes. Really interesting weather today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Just had a brief soft hail shower.

One managed to escape the clutches of the Welsh mountains and Bristol Channel :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
41 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Popped over to Wantage and caught a snowy shower yet the thermometer in the car is telling me it's 6C .Really?

It's not that unusual in this type of showery setup with cold upper air temperatures (850hPa < -6C), especially as we head towards spring and solar heating increases.  A shallow warm layer near the surface and relatively low humidity (dew point below zero) can allow sleet/wet snow to reach the surface despite temperatures well above freezing.  In March/April/May I've sometimes seen showers of wet sleety snow start with the temperature starting at around 8C, although in heavier showers the temperature usually falls sharply as the shower gets underway.  I also observed it once in South Tyneside on 18 February 2012, although in February 5-6C tends to be the upper limit (due to weaker solar heating) in most cases.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Thanks TWS. Indeed, just had a nice fairly intense few minutes of hail and snow here at around 5C and a DP hovering around 0.

Posted
3 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

I used to have the 'Home and Dry' app for IOS with radar and forecast maps etc. It does cost £3 but was worth it for me as I really liked it 
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/home-and-dry/id654608885?mt=8

I just wish they'd do an android version but they never have! :(

Looks ok, but would prefer to try it first and would really like it to be on both Android and iOS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

woah woah woah! heavy snow showers here!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

woah woah woah! heavy snow showers here!

Just seen that shower go through from a distance. Still nothing here though ?. Has it settled?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

no too warm, somehow it managed to snow at 4c, ill try and send a video

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It's not that unusual in this type of showery setup with cold upper air temperatures (850hPa < -6C), especially as we head towards spring and solar heating increases.  A shallow warm layer near the surface and relatively low humidity (dew point below zero) can allow sleet/wet snow to reach the surface despite temperatures well above freezing.  In March/April/May I've sometimes seen showers of wet sleety snow start with the temperature starting at around 8C, although in heavier showers the temperature usually falls sharply as the shower gets underway.  I also observed it once in South Tyneside on 18 February 2012, although in February 5-6C tends to be the upper limit (due to weaker solar heating) in most cases.

Thanks. I was really surprised as the temperature was much higher than I've seen snow fall. The temperature is up and down at the moment. As we drove home the temperature dropped to 2.5c and following another wintry shower the temperature is back up to 5c!

Posted

Still dry here,but hey,a nubile model called Shannon Entropy catwalking weather sites,raising eyebrows and blood pressures,anything known of this gal.May be a mate of Kate Moss and one to watch.

Posted

video: probably wont work but oh well and sorry for shakiness ;) 

snow.wmv

• Like 1

Posted

by the end of the snow shower, the temp had gone from 5.2 to 3.9, and is back up at 4.9 now!

Posted

It looks tastier over Salisbury, so that'll slide North of here.

20180211_153708.thumb.jpg.0f63569d8ef656a73fde0b7533936da8.jpg

And the Red Kite has just appeared.

20180211_153700.thumb.jpg.3be70744096de768220542c90da64396.jpg

Edit. Got sleet in the sunshine.

If the South West forum was to form a band. We could call it 'Sleet in the Sunshine'. Anyone play tambourine?

Edited by jtay

Posted

Very nice clouds around today. I was driving near Radstock and there was a minute of marble/pea sized hail but no was no rain in that shower just hail. Looks like there were some intense showers around. 

Edited by ThundersnowDays

Posted

more please!

Posted
3 minutes ago, jy said:

Jtay send some sleet to Desperation City lol

Sent that last lot to Romsey. Will try again after the Rugby.