Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

This could deliver for Wirral but for much of the region it will be a few snow flakes in the wind due to the God awful rain shadow effect. Snow shower activity also dies a death when a low approaches from the south while the Midlands and Wales get buttied in the snow.

Are you sure that wouldn't deliver? It's a big system that and if it reaches southern Scotland before filling as suggested then surely would be good for everyone? Surely the next frame would be epic for all.

Anyway plenty of snow chances for all well before this.

Edited by Day 10

Posted
Just now, Day 10 said:

Are you sure that wouldn't deliver? It's a big system that and if it reaches southern Scotland before filling as suggested then surely would be good for everyone? Surely the next frame would be epic for all.

Yes, the same happened in 2013 and the Pennines kept us dry here. By contrast, the convective easterly had showers crossing the hills with ease.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

Seems like going from the posts on here, only the northern parts of the region will have to worry about the Pennines whilst more southern parts won't have too, either way one thing that might help is the wind and it' going to be a really gusty wind on this side of the Pennines also so severe wind chill will come into play.

I don't think central and eastern Cumbria will have to worry too much, we are in fact not that far away from the NE coast, with winds projected to be more direct ENE, think Jan 26/27 1996..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Good to see the region now covered by warnings on Tuesday and Wednesday and unlike those earlier in the season, I think that these will end up being justified.

i’m not expecting huge amounts but given the wind strength and bitterly cold uppers and dry air, what falls will readily blow into drifts and conditions approaching blizzard like will probably occur.

IMBY I wouldn’t be surprised to see something approaching late March 2013 which probably gave the largest drifts here since 1979 and even if the snow fails to materialise the winds and perishing cold will no doubt be one to remember.

meanwhile it’s all going off in the mod thread with summary executions taking place of anyone brave enough to mention next weekends low tracking further north and introducing rain and milder conditions down south.

Posted

Yes think it might be best to hide from the MOD thread, as I suspect the GFS will hold its northerly push of the low pressure, whilst ECM maintains it further to the south - but it is rather pointless as this stage speculating things as we are a good 5/6 days away. It always surprises me how much people look for breakdowns before the cold/warmth has even established itself, deep cold and warmth has a habit of entrenching itself in slow moving patterns as we have ahead - do people learn?

Back to the models, and yes much of the region could see some decent snowfall by Thursday, but guessing amounts is all conjecture. A case of nowcasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'll put my neck on the line and say that south and west Cumbria will stay dry .

Absolutely totally agree. 

Posted

People getting a bit techy  in the mod thread. I think i’ll stay in here! People aren’t keen on a bit of mild air getting into the South 

Edited by Wardlegacy

24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes think it might be best to hide from the MOD thread, as I suspect the GFS will hold its northerly push of the low pressure, whilst ECM maintains it further to the south - but it is rather pointless as this stage speculating things as we are a good 5/6 days away. It always surprises me how much people look for breakdowns before the cold/warmth has even established itself, deep cold and warmth has a habit of entrenching itself in slow moving patterns as we have ahead - do people learn?

Back to the models, and yes much of the region could see some decent snowfall by Thursday, but guessing amounts is all conjecture. A case of nowcasting.

I would imagine the south east thread or as its called mod thread will be a bloodbath later .

Posted

Always makes me laugh when the met o put warnings out for Yellow snow 

IMG_1597.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Pleasant in warm sun away from wind 

Always putting a mild spin on things, are you sure the OX isn't your wife? I mean you're always banging on about her bad dress sense. :rofl:

Posted
14 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Is that a recent picture 

2013 I think that's all I could make 

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 hour ago, Wardlegacy said:

The BBC app is showing quite a surge of temps on Friday and snow turning to rain. We shall see 

BBC app is like Bolton''s back 4 

Crap 

Posted

I think my practical meaning post earlier was just trying to put a positive angle to the fact that my area won't get the best out of the upcoming easterly and then south easterly if the low comes up from the south.  I have been victim of the Gtr Mcr snow shadow/dome on previous such occasions.  Secretly I would love to be buried in tons of snow and I will have a touch of envy for those sweet spots in the East later next week.

Posted
7 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

I think my practical meaning post earlier was just trying to put a positive angle to the fact that my area won't get the best out of the upcoming easterly and then south easterly if the low comes up from the south.  I have been victim of the Gtr Mcr snow shadow/dome on previous such occasions.  Secretly I would love to be buried in tons of snow and I will have a touch of envy for those sweet spots in the East later next week.

TBH dodge i think we all feel like that in our region.

• Like 1