Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Normal service resumed from GFS 00z, only the briefest of rest-bites from the trough and low pressure as through next a new low containing copious amounts of moisture approaches from the southwest during next. UKMO slightly more positive but at 144hrs still has low pressure steaming into towards the south west approaches. 

Don’t think a I actually believed when I posted a couple of whiny posts at the back end of May saying June could be a write off if the pattern locked in but here we are with a dreadful June is almost Unavoidable now. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Normal service resumed from GFS 00z, only the briefest of rest-bites from the trough and low pressure as through next a new low containing copious amounts of moisture approaches from the southwest during next. UKMO slightly more positive but at 144hrs still has low pressure steaming into towards the south west approaches. 

Don’t think a I actually believed when I posted a couple of whiny posts at the back end of May saying June could be a write off if the pattern locked in but here we are with a dreadful June is almost Unavoidable now. 

Agreed.  GFS op brings the upper trough right back into the British Isles. 

Terrible run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I don't necessarily think June is a write off, something could pop up at relatively short notice. Looks an ask though admittedly.

What concerns me about next week is that it's possible the modelling is under doing the rainfall at this point. We may find as we move to within 4/5 days that those smaller areas of rain become beefed up somewhat, especially if warmer air is pulled into the mix. It seemed to happen with this current spell...the modelling looked ripe for some heavy rain but it wasn't really picked up until 4/5 days pre onset.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don't necessarily think June is a write off, something could pop up at relatively short notice. Looks an ask though admittedly.

What concerns me about next week is that it's possible the modelling is under doing the rainfall at this point. We may find as we move to within 4/5 days that those smaller areas of rain become beefed up somewhat, especially if warmer air is pulled into the mix. It seemed to happen with this current spell...the modelling looked ripe for some heavy rain but it wasn't really picked up until 4/5 days pre onset.

Agreed first things I did was check the accumulated precip, doesn’t seem to tie into the Synoptics, a low coming from that far south in the Atlantic would have masses of moisture with it. 

To be fair it looks a touch drier over the weekend although inland infill will probably ruin most of the day. 

Tomorrow will be the 12th consecutive day of not reaching 20c here, which matches the entire number of days that 20c wasn’t reached here last summer (depressing given it’ll only be the 13th June) but that run could easily continue way into next week a seas breezes and cooler airmasses  will dominate even the less bad days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Agreed.  GFS op brings the upper trough right back into the British Isles. 

Terrible run.

Decent for here, wet yes, but most days making 20 degrees for north west midlands, key thing S/SW breeze rare for June

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.7fcf275908ca29a3121920d369f04b41.png

00z GFS op was on the cold side/ a bit of an outlier from day 5-10 anyway.

I think people need to perhaps temper their expectations here - the prognosis was only ever for a trough out west/ridge over the UK set-up - no high pressure domination at this stage.

image.thumb.png.67cbdb74583e5ab45d4eb8db22cd97a8.png

NOAA showing this quite well. 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.7fcf275908ca29a3121920d369f04b41.png

00z GFS op was on the cold side/ a bit of an outlier from day 5-10 anyway.

I think people need to perhaps temper their expectations here - the prognosis was only ever for a trough out west/ridge over the UK set-up - no high pressure domination at this stage.

image.thumb.png.67cbdb74583e5ab45d4eb8db22cd97a8.png

NOAA showing this quite well. 

Yes.  But if the upper trough was more mid Atlantic then we could have brought in a drier continental influence,  instead the upper trough is further West.

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.9b1f057adc0b9f184313847b5625f78f.pngimage.thumb.png.9ce185d047f6d9c43d604c86918088b6.png
image.thumb.png.bc248ff27c3cd6fca2bf9f9a2382385f.pngimage.thumb.png.543b55b81f63af18ea446b15de8aaa0e.png

ECM potentially looking quite thundery this morning, as a low pressure wrapped up in plenty of very warm air crosses the UK

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 2

Posted

EC breaking down heights to the North west by day 9-

image.thumb.png.0eb68fa7280c69bf9121f7e2d6ecb99b.png

Ok its only one run but summer lovers absolutely need to see the back of these heights before we can hope for something better.

Does anyone know why WZ is not working properly with ECM? Is it because of some changes to the model i wonder?

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Still plenty of cause for optimism in today's 00Z FV3: that overall pattern changes, by T144 and stays 'changed' (as in there being no dominant Northern Blocking) right until the end:

T144: image.thumb.png.df30fa8dd1f90aa8b39905d0046c1447.png T180: image.thumb.png.e8bd4f00773da89d43acfac93326e8a2.png

T240: image.thumb.png.c114c4efcc1918623324f98b8154809a.png T384: image.thumb.png.fe93a34c9b4a588be5864fe3662bdec4.png 

Anywho, back to the 'old' GEFS ensembles, and the op is clearly right at the cold end of the pack; though, hopefully, come Friday, when the FV3 finally takes over, all will be resolved?:oldgrin:

image.thumb.png.fc72afb028623373f2ed13e33040703c.pngimage.thumb.png.cbc266779cbb1e5b7d2620ef745904d1.png 

image.thumb.png.8e055f77cf606f1d821bd14f6f093402.png image.thumb.png.2578aabeb3ec36d1194624303cf6cf69.png

• Like 5

Posted

ECM is decent this morning - a hiccup as the low passes through, but pressure rebuilding from the SW, while falling to the N and NW around the Greenland area. 

• Like 4

Posted

ECM also degrades HLB with time: image.thumb.png.406ac5d31ce4cb64ee15625c65f8ad82.png 

image.thumb.png.8fe1425e2ab27a3b74f35f0f18316c1e.png

• Like 5

Posted

Looks like a classic NW/SE split to me in the short-medium term. Much improved temperatures in the SE next week, with 25c possible in London. All in all fairly standard summer fare at the ground at least down here (which is very pleasant). Longer term we want to hope ECM is right about collapsing the high over Greenland as we enter the astronomical summer. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Well i got day 10 on wetter fwiw -

image.thumb.png.f5750fc6b0e18f62d7d35c856646b05e.png

As one can see, the heights completely drained from Greenland...

If we can get this into the T+144 timeframe I'll be more confident. There's been a few false dawns of late.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

To be honest anything remotely summer like is always at day ten, a bit like gold at the end of a rainbow

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

To be honest anything remotely summer like is always at day ten, a bit like gold at the end of a rainbow

Just like record cold and snow, then?:oldgrin:

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I totally understand where you are coming from AW

Its an aspiration as it stands, i'm happy we have even that at the moment.

Any sort of light at the end of this horrible horrible tunnel is appreciated, i hope we get out of this rut ASAP, its horrid out there, again.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Quite a misleading post, I'd venture. 

Next week is looking pretty good down here. If several days of temps 23c+ aren't "remotely like summer" then I don't know what is, to be perfectly honest. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS and Euro bin any serious ridge development out to day 9. I cannot say that this summer should be for the bin but I can say that we are by that point at June 21st, getting on for 25% of the way through.

Posted
15 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

GFS and Euro bin any serious ridge development out to day 9. I cannot say that this summer should be for the bin but I can say that we are by that point at June 21st, getting on for 25% of the way through.

NW/SE split. Classic summer fare really – nothing out of the ordinary. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Stone said:

06Z at T120 is fascinating:

image.thumb.png.0a9d3a4b12720ba69b7aab914b09bb79.pngimage.thumb.png.dee32e900297a2e38218c80338a13ca5.pngimage.thumb.png.d39b0c988cd899e2477e7e6ec862ea0a.png

Not really because it provides the weakest of ridges that would likely be pretty cloudy with left over low level moisture from the exiting trough before the next low approaches from the south west.