Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - hot spell beckons but then what?

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted

GFS looks to have the heat slightly further west too. 20’C+ uppers as far west as the Welsh border on Thursday instead of just over the South East. Actually quite a bit more widespread. A very hot day for many!

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 7

Posted

Well who didnt see that coming cos i did!!gfs backtracks towards ecm and pushes the 20 degree 850 temps much much further west for thursday!!

• Like 4

Posted

the positioning of the low on GFS 06:00 is marginally further North on Thursday than the 00:00 .. which i'm guessing is allowing more heat from the South to push it Northwars losing momentum on the Eastwards drive..

image.thumb.png.9d6efb962746addebe988c133dd29166.pngimage.thumb.png.6a9227d9ef308976a5aa42043d1f836d.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I would say the odds of 100F on Thu are increasing.

GFS has 34’C in London, so maybe 36-37’C if that run comes off. Quite a lot of cloud around though, at least further west.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Me too.  I did say at the beginning of the year that 2019 could be a real eye opener and that could well be the case!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
19 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Yes, I think so too, probability of the record going now about 20%, up from 13% last night.  But a note of caution, GFS 6z has peak temperature Thursday at 32C, maybe looks a little short of what we might expect, until you look at the cloud cover at same time, T108:

image.thumb.jpg.fd3e8ad93c2986d50272da722b15f9bc.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.96ccb5fcf424ecdec2efe6562ce8f925.jpg

Edit, Matt beat me to it!

Edit, that cloud chart doesn't often get posted, so to be clear, white is low cloud, red high and yellow in the middle.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

GFS has 34’C in London, so maybe 36-37’C if that run comes off. Quite a lot of cloud around though, at least further west.

Yeah, ICON has a small area of 34-36c in Kent/London region, so in that set-up its certainly possible.

Of course this is still a very fluid set-up, and we could still easily see a shift for the end part of the week.

What does look likely is a top temperature on Tuesday that may well challenge the daily record.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Well a strange irony on this forum - at the end of June, it was like mid-winter, with many including me salivating over the 850s charts, yet came to little more than a typical summer hot spell. Now we have genuine record breaking potential at just T108, and it's fairly quiet! Is there a sense of cry wolf going on?? 

As @Loifeless mentions, ECM maxes similar to previous runs. After usual adjustments to ECM raw data, we may expect the following maximums this week:

Monday 30C

Tuesday 34C

Wednesday 35C

Thursday 38C

Friday 30C 

However, the highest temperatures are dependent on the pattern not shifting any further east. 

Probably because it’s a largely south east affair. Here in Leeds temperatures will be around 30C on Tuesday and Wednesday which is hot but happens most years and is therefore not spectacular.

Plus without wanting to change topic I think most people from the Midlands north probably don’t have much time for getting excited about the whims of Londoners given the current real world situation.

Bringing it back to the output it’s interesting in the longer term that enhanced trades are forecast widely in the Pacific. That may suggest a more westerly pattern heading into early August.

• Like 2

Even on Thursday with the slight westerly correction partial thicknesses are falling rapidly even through the afternoon. GFS has 31c over London at 09z however maxes are ‘only’ 33/34c by 18z as 850s are 6-7c cooler over the capital by 18z than 09z. An even bigger fall in 850s occurs here, 22c at 09z to 11c at 18z. 

For any records we’d need another 12hr delay in the rapid, borderline spectacular collapse of 850s from the west, possibly the biggest/quickest reduction ever to occur, over 15c fall in places in 18hrs. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Even on Thursday with the slight westerly correction partial thicknesses are falling rapidly even through the afternoon. GFS has 31c over London at 09z however maxes are ‘only’ 33/34c by 18z as 850s are 6-7c cooler over the capital by 18z than 09z. An even bigger fall in 850s occurs here, 22c at 09z to 11c at 18z. 

For any records we’d need another 12hr delay in the rapid, borderline spectacular collapse of 850s from the west, possibly the biggest/quickest reduction ever to occur, over 15c fall in places in 18hrs. 

Have no fear Chris. The 12z runs will continue the westwards correction. I think the models are starting to play down the LP a bit now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

All this talk of heat is making me froff at the mouth... Well parched!!! So I will take a look at some appreciable rainfall amounts towards the NW over the coming hours.. This rain almost extending into NW parts of the Midlands for a time. Things improving on Monday... They do say get the rain in first and the heat will follow. Wednesday also looking of interest, thunderstorm potential devoloping through the Midlands Northwards.. The SE looking to stay hot/sunny and parched.... Jammy gits! 

xx_model-en-330-0_modgbrhd_2019072100_20_18_155.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modgbrhd_2019072100_23_18_155.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2019072100_75_18_155.png

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just looking at the GEFS 6z mean for the week ahead, to me it's better than yesterday in that it's slowing down the breakdown from the west later in the week with the heat holding its ground longer meaning there is a better chance that thursday will still be hot for the majority and even friday could be warmer than was shown yesterday for the east / southeast.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Djdazzle said:

Not disagreeing with you there. Just think that the depth of the low is being overplayed, which is quite a common occurrence with these type of LPs.

Sorry I've just come in but you keep referring to this low. What type of LPs do you mean and is the 'common occurrence' based on some personal research or are you quoting? I'm not nit picking but peeps on here often make statements of a similar nature with no reference or any attempt to explain why. I just feel this has the potential to mislead people who perhaps don't possess your expertise.

I personally find nothing odd about the fax chart for Thursday albeit it might be adjusted today

PPVO89.thumb.gif.c0ffadbc39fde6f5843be86a7f44adf0.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
58 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Probably because it’s a largely south east affair. Here in Leeds temperatures will be around 30C on Tuesday and Wednesday which is hot but happens most years and is therefore not spectacular.

Plus without wanting to change topic I think most people from the Midlands north probably don’t have much time for getting excited about the whims of Londoners given the current real world situation.

Bringing it back to the output it’s interesting in the longer term that enhanced trades are forecast widely in the Pacific. That may suggest a more westerly pattern heading into early August.

Bizarre comment in bold. 

Could be a record breaking week coming up, more likely the July record rather than the all time record. Still plenty of factors to fall into place but should be fascinating viewing over the next few days. 

Yes, those in the NW will be wondering what all the fuss is about. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

FV3 doesn’t tighten the low up enough to prevent the upper level outflow spilling across the UK by early Thu. It also cuts off the continental flow sooner.

ECM is very different in this regard with a hot, sunnier continental flow right through Thu for all but the far west.

06z ICON more or less splits the difference.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

The ECM mean is not to bad out to day 10....the extended mean out to day 14 also shows a slight improvement... By day 14 the mean being around 9.3c for the South... And 60/70 of runs going above this.... The pressure mean was roughly in at 1016mb..

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

EDM1-240.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

From what the models are consistently indicating, there's nae much time left, for a 'repeat of 2012' to come along?:yahoo:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 8

Posted
19 minutes ago, Singularity said:

FV3 doesn’t tighten the low up enough to prevent the upper level outflow spilling across the UK by early Thu. It also cuts off the continental flow sooner.

ECM is very different in this regard with a hot, sunnier continental flow right through Thu for all but the far west.

06z ICON more or less splits the difference.

Arpege is the latest run to join ecm camp and push the hot air further west at 72 hours compared to its 00z run!!brilliant stuff!!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Arpege is the latest run to join ecm camp and push the hot air further west at 72 hours compared to its 00z run!!brilliant stuff!!

Good spot. A slight slowdown in the movement of the little low out of France allows the highest 850s to advance further NW on Wed. Surface flow stays off France for longer too.

Not sure how Thu would be affected by this change.

So many circulations at once next Tue-Thu! Will higher model resolution be the winning factor? Time will tell!

• Like 5

Posted

After some adjustment of the upper trough the low is now here with the gfs. Frankly I find the Spanish Plume potential more interesting but, hey, that's just me

108.thumb.png.4e8717831bc0724c1c5f1e272c1d3d1d.png102.thumb.png.e103cea46890eb989d8e5cf20b7dc36e.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some more good news: once the heat gets blown away, the GEFS 06Z operational keeps T850s somewhere close to 10C, providing for 2m maxes of between 23 and 25C...So, nae a bad outlook at all?:yahoo:

t850London.png   t2mLondon.png

prmslLondon.png   prcpLondon.png

• Like 6